It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lit up the hood, still not enough

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Fired up the generator tonight to try out some of the new heaters. Just put in (3) 250,000 BTU heaters in the barn. In addition, I hooked up every heater, every high intensity light, all the lights in the barn, all the big fans (used in summer), and (2) swamp coolers. Plugged in my 220 compressor (empty) and my welder. Fired up the welder, with everything else on (high), had (2) spiders with every electrical thing I own plugged in to them and 'on'...still couldn't even draw 50 amps. Have another 50 amps to go, and then some if I wire up the 480. Can't even get the generator to lug a little when I put the loads on it. Just shrugs it off like nothing is there.

I need to figure out how to put some load on this thing so I can run it under some heavy load for a couple hours. If I bring it down to the house, it just powers the whole house and the ammeter doesn't even hardly show a load...even with the A/C on.

Yes, I could get a load-bank, but those aren't cheap, and there's nowhere to rent one nearby (not a big one anyway).

Any ideas?

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Why are you doing this?
Are drugs involved?

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

**double take**

LOL! Drugs???? Uhhh...no drugs involved. Just a large generator and trying to exercise it!

I must admit, your 'drug' reaction was pretty funny!!

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Why are you doing this?
Are drugs involved?

Breaking Bad ATS style

Or………

Keeping animals warm? Hmmmmm

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, definitely keeping animals warm, but the ultimate plan is to power both the house and the barn and everything else on the property. But this takes some infrastructure to build it out, so in the meantime I'm just trying to keep the equipment exercised and up to par.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, definitely keeping animals warm, but the ultimate plan is to power both the house and the barn and everything else on the property. But this takes some infrastructure to build it out, so in the meantime I'm just trying to keep the equipment exercised and up to par.

We need to come up with a system over here. I don’t trust our utilities. They went out so many times this year. We do not have a generator but we need to change that asap. I’m also looking into good ol’ fashioned wood burning stoves.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Any ideas?

Buy a Tesla, and charging system
it will draw 40-60 amps, thats at 240

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 11:11 PM
link   

This channel should give you some ideas.

www.youtube.com...

Have fun and don't set fire to anything.

Check out the transformer videos for some high load fun.
edit on 1/11/21 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Rent it out for a festival or something...with lights and audio you should be able to do something. Also maybe try adding more watts at lower volts to drive up the amps. Why do you want to push such a load of you literally don't even have enough stuff to need it? I think you maybe shot too high on the purchase lol!

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   
You can always try to dabble in trying to generate the Hutchison effect

edit on 2-11-2021 by 2Faced because:

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Rent it out for a festival or something...with lights and audio you should be able to do something. Also maybe try adding more watts at lower volts to drive up the amps. Why do you want to push such a load of you literally don't even have enough stuff to need it? I think you maybe shot too high on the purchase lol!

It's good to have some headroom though.

I wonder if he could rent a couple of electric clothes dryers, they are usually good for 30 amps

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2Faced

He was one of my neighbours for a time, I lived in the building next door, where they filmed his crazy apartment, filled with gear. I think it was for Discovery channel. This was in New Westminster B.C. His balcony had some radar dishes, and a 20mm anti aircraft cannon on it

I got to chat with him a few times, he was a bit eccentric, but pretty cool, chatted about some of the batteries he's made, very trippy guy, very different though, right out there!

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Yea I follow the 20% rule personally. So if I have a 100A genny I wont push more than 80A...maybe 85A if I am confident that there isn't much which will spike up when turned on.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:05 AM
link   

What geney are you using and where can I get one?

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Yea I follow the 20% rule personally. So if I have a 100A genny I wont push more than 80A...maybe 85A if I am confident that there isn't much which will spike up when turned on.

Yes, thats code up here, if you have 100 amp service, they don't want you running over 80%, things get warmish..lol And with smart meters, they know.

It's going to be interesting seeing how they are going to charge all these electric cars they want to get everyone into.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Try this

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Try this

You win!! tis almost the season too

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Fired up the generator tonight to try out some of the new heaters. Just put in (3) 250,000 BTU heaters in the barn. In addition, I hooked up every heater, every high intensity light, all the lights in the barn, all the big fans (used in summer), and (2) swamp coolers. Plugged in my 220 compressor (empty) and my welder. Fired up the welder, with everything else on (high), had (2) spiders with every electrical thing I own plugged in to them and 'on'...still couldn't even draw 50 amps. Have another 50 amps to go, and then some if I wire up the 480. Can't even get the generator to lug a little when I put the loads on it. Just shrugs it off like nothing is there.

I need to figure out how to put some load on this thing so I can run it under some heavy load for a couple hours. If I bring it down to the house, it just powers the whole house and the ammeter doesn't even hardly show a load...even with the A/C on.

Yes, I could get a load-bank, but those aren't cheap, and there's nowhere to rent one nearby (not a big one anyway).

Any ideas?

What is the voltage it runs? Are the heaters gas or heat strips?

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I’d like to say I’m here to help, but truthfully I’m really here to see some sun burn 😬

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: 2Faced

He was one of my neighbours for a time, I lived in the building next door, where they filmed his crazy apartment, filled with gear. I think it was for Discovery channel. This was in New Westminster B.C. His balcony had some radar dishes, and a 20mm anti aircraft cannon on it

I got to chat with him a few times, he was a bit eccentric, but pretty cool, chatted about some of the batteries he's made, very trippy guy, very different though, right out there!

That’s a cool neighbor to have. I envy you. It sounds like he and I would get along just fine.
He did some interesting research on levitating objects.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join