It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Conservatives Angry at Starbucks Over Cup Quotes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
In the scheme of things is this really important? No.

Who cares if Starbucks put quotes on their cups? To be honest (in my view) you would have to be really desperate to drink the god dammed awful stuff to start with. If you want quotes – buy a book and find a decent cup of coffee to go with it.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
At least it appears to be less offensive than the previous promotional scandal that broke out with Starbucks with that "Collapse Into Cool" ad from early 2002 in which some people complained it reminded them too much of 9/11.

Yes, I remember seeing this. For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

The image shown above is indeed a promotional poster for the Starbucks Coffee Company's new TazoCitrus drinks. The posters were displayed on the walls of about 3,000 Starbucks outlets throughout the USA and Canada beginning in April 2002, until an inquiry from a New York Post reporter who'd been contacted by someone upset that the poster's imagery was too reminiscent of the terror attacks on New York's twin towers (and a discussion of the ad's purported symbolism on ABC's "Politically Incorrect") prompted Starbucks to pull the material from their stores on June 7. (According to Starbucks the promotional posters were due to come down at the end of June anyway, although the display dates on the posters indicate they were originally intended to be kept up throughout the summer.)

Source: Snopes

It was recalled because of it looking like the WTC disaster to some people, judge for yourself.

[edit on 3/26/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Hmm...

The poster itself doesn't look like much...

Then i saw the word "Collapse"

Still, i will give them the benefit of the doubt until i see an internal memo.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Need some more rummy quotes then:

"As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

"Death has a tendency to encourage a depressing view of war."

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

ANd since Al Fraken is on that list.. how about Rush Limbaugh:
"Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream"

"The difference between Los Angeles and yogurt is that yogurt comes with less fruit. "

"[I have] Talent on loan from God"

Anywaz, I better start learning how to Goosestep

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Too subliminal for my tastes. They should have put the actual 9/11 tragedy in their ads. Then Starbucks would have been re-elected.

Wait.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have to admit, that collapse certainly looks vicious!

NOT.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Jehosephat

Those are nice ones, I got some more.

"You know, it's hard work to try to love her as best as I can, knowing full well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way." —George W. Bush, first presidential debate, Coral Gables, Fla., Sept. 30, 2004

"I think it's very important for the American President to mean what he says. That's why I understand that the enemy could misread what I say. That's why I try to be as clearly I can." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 23, 2004

"I'm not the expert on how the Iraqi people think, because I live in America, where it's nice and safe and secure." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 23, 2004

One of my favorite.

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —George W. Bush, Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I like them...I think Starbucks would have long lines in the morning if this were the case

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Marg, sorry, but I don't think ANYONE wants to see "OB-GYN" on their cup of coffee.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Starbucks was founded in Seattle why is this a surpise? Point 2: Isn't this a freedom of speech issue? I thought true conservatives tried to hold on to Constitutional rights, not what they think will get them reelected.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Marg, sorry, but I don't think ANYONE wants to see "OB-GYN" on their cup of coffee.

Hey I am a women so you most understand that I have not problem with my women issues..........

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Go Marge,

I see that sexy thing goin on.

As for the starbucks issue,-lol more please.

XL5

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Oh great, now the doo-gooders are into political control too!

"I pissed in your drink - I.P. Freely" Then I could see why people get so controlling of others freedoms.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Quotes, schmotes.

Over 37% return in SBUX since last March--hopefully conservatives should be smart enough not to shoot themselves in the foot over this non-issue.

SBUX is a member of the S&P 500, the NASDAQ 100, and with almost 75% of Starbucks shares being held by mutual funds, they'll only be hurting their own 401k's, mutual fund investments, and ETFs (the spiders & the Q's) if the price of Starbucks stock should take a hit because of feigned outrage.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   

"I want to enjoy your product without having Earth Day Network propaganda thrust at me," wrote Malachi Salcido of East Wenatchee, Wash.

They could always just bring their OWN cup to put the drink in.
And save 10 cents doing so.

Or just buy a tumbler and insert their own quote.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Anyone ever heard of a little company named Bess Eaton? They used to print scripture passages on their non-biodegradable foam cups. They were never protested, they were never the subject of angry letters about "I don't want you mixing God and coffee." To my knowledge they're still doing steady business selling drugs and doughnuts.

You know why?

Because only the religious fringe bothers with these sorts of theatrics. They get mainstream attention to make people think we hate each other, when in fact, most Americans could get along real well in everyday situations with each other, if it weren't for the nagging penetration of media cattle prods into our buttocks, urging us on to ever increasing heights of antagonism. 10% of the population writes 90% of the angry letters.

This is patently ridiculous. It's a cup of coffee. That tastes like butt.

Who cares what they print on their cups? It doesn't make their butt-tasting coffee any more appealing, and in fact, appears to have made it less appealing to the fringe. If they made a bad business decision, let them suffer for it, and their investors will pull their money out and head for greener pastures. Then, all you little neo-cons can buy the company up at wholesale, and print whatever the hell you want on the cups.

And you know what? Nobody will complain, and nobody will care. Why? Because most adults in this country have better things to worry about than coffee recepticle decorations.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I really don't think that that the outrage is as widespread or invasive as being percieved. They asked some people who didn't like the idea, but had already bought the product.

These people are practicing free speech. They're saying I don't particularly like the devisive politics of Al Franken on a product that I'm purchasing, but as a quality good - I'm going to purchase it any way. Or in the case of the stock holder, airing her disdain for the action a company she partially owns has taken.

You know if McDonalds started throwing quotes by Rush or Ann Coulter on its packages, even if they weren't politically charged utterances, many of you would be screaming for Ronald McDonald's Neo-con head!

There's someone that's going to over-react to anything. It's trendy to be outraged in America right now. Which outrages me.

[edit on (3/26/0505 by PistolPete]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
It's trendy to be outraged in America right now. Which outrages me.

Did you submit that yet? You should.

I'm bombarding the website's request for "user contributions" myself.

[edit on 26-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'd like to submit some Ann Coulter quotes myself. I can just see the latte shooting out of those liberals' noses!

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Because only the religious fringe bothers with these sorts of theatrics.

Environmentalists, animal rights people, mothers against anything...aren't the religious fringe, and they're pretty theatrical. Gay rights people are theatrical by nature.

EDIT: I'm going to have to submit that. I'm going to find some good Ron Paul quips to throw in there too.

And maybe Larry the Cable Guy. I'm sure he's a conservative.

[edit on (3/26/0505 by PistolPete]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join