It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera Legitiment News Source?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I was just wondering if Al Jazeera was considered a reliable news source? I dont see it used very often.

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
most members here do not like it...

its not "credible"...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Yeah, it's sketchy, but I think if you use it as a supporting source, and take it with a mountain of salt there's no reason not to. It's just like any other news source, it has an agenda and a bias, and needs to be accounted for. That isn't to say it's fine, but it has its uses.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
It's just like any other news source, it has an agenda and a bias...

You could say its the Islamic version of FoxNews...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

its not "credible"...

OR not "Christian News"

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

its not "credible"...

OR not "Christian News"

Funny,

Well Im sure most "non-believers" would also agree it is very bias.

Most of there news does not involve religion (Islam or Christianity) as
an issue. I would use it as a source as long as the readers understand that is VERY bias against the US.

I read it sometimes to see what kinda stuff they put out

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dev_add
I would use it as a source as long as the readers understand that is VERY bias against the US.

I think this makes them the most "credible" news-source...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
aljazeera.net is a credible source, as credible as any other news source such as fox, cnn, msnbc. It is the Qatar based news organization that has a knack for finding Al-Qaeda videos.

aljazeera.com is not a credible source and whole different site all together.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I like al jazeera just for an alternative view. You figure most news sources have a bias or a slant. It is interesting to see how the same event can be portrayed so differently from media outlet to media outlet. It also provides perspective on how the WOT is portrayed in the middle east.

B.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think people are just bias against popular and successful alternatives to their daily dose of propaganda.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
aljazeera.net is a credible source, as credible as any other news source such as fox, cnn, msnbc. It is the Qatar based news organization that has a knack for finding Al-Qaeda videos.

aljazeera.com is not a credible source and whole different site all together.

right...

i get the two mixed up...

i should say this though:

americans (me also) should get their news from news outlets OUTSIDE of the US...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

americans (me also) should get their news from news outlets OUTSIDE of the US...

It'd prolly stop alot of the US backed wars...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

I agree it is a credible news source and more importantly allows one to see what exactly the Arab world is seeing as it is very popular.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I have no problem with al Jezeera either. You can tell the blatant garbage from the truth usually. Much like American news. I've actually found you can get a pretty good pulse of the Middle East from them. If it's anti-American, it's because they really dislike what were doing over there. No matter if we believe it's noble or not.

Ya, if you want to find out a much worse version of the events that involve the US, and then find out how absolutley fantastic our celebrities are - read the foreign press.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
How come the untranslated Arab version always seems to have a different front story - different picture, etc ??

Anybody out there read both languages?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You could say its the Islamic version of FoxNews...

I'd agree there, and note Worldwatcher's comments, as they are two different sites...

In my opinion, I'd never use it as the sole source, but as a supporting source, sure...but maybe that's just me. Kind of like Rense or Pravda, etc. in that it can have some true articles mixed in with pure speculation, but more credible than those two sites.

Different front story for a different audience... You can get online translators to help (though I know of no "freebie" ones for Arabic). The last free Arabic translator I used went to a paid service around the time of the Iraqi invasion..bastards...

[edit on 25-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The problems with foreign news and Americans is that we been have told by the government not to trust them.

But we are made to believe that our own American media is the real news and the truth.

In my own views I like the media views from other countries, Arab, media Aljazera, Kurdish news, they all have their own sites with news and if you are interested to see a different angle and compare them with our own version then you can make your own conclusions.

Reading them doesn't mean you have to believe them.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Is any of the news credible? By the way, what does FOX, stand for? All the other news sources are acronyms.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Damned if I know, nothin from acronym finder.

Yes, news is always credible if you know where it's coming from and are relatively intelligent.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
If you want one of the most unbiased news sources, then use the BBC, as (compared to some notable others), there is no detectable slant on their stories, it is just "as is".

I always check the facts against the Beeb before posting any news to ATSNN.

Having said that, I do use others, including Al Jazeera, you just need to be aware of the slants that the others put on the story.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join