It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why won't they tell me my blood type?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I'm based in the UK, I'm almost 40 years old, but for some reason, my doctors never saw fit to tell me my blood type...

It got to the point a few weeks ago, I was invited to have blood tests to check up on a certain condition, and I actually point blank asked the nurse what my blood type is.

Her response was: "Oh it's not my job to give out information like that, and besides I can't see the details"

Now surely, if she has already accessed my medical records when preparing to draw blood (as she definitely did), somewhere on those records, likely on the front page where all basic information is collated, will be a record of my blood type.

Why the heck would she point blank refuse, giving two separate reasons no less, rather than simply telling me what my blood type is? Surely I'm within my rights to request that information & to receive an answer?

How is it that no doctor has ever given me that information? In forty years?

When I was very young, I remember receiving a check-up for something connected to my posture, and the nurse drew blood. Being very small, I was curious & asked why she was doing that - she said "It's in case you ever have an accident, we'll be able to give you the blood that you need". So clearly my blood type was checked, yet I have never been offered that information. Could I have a weird blood type & they don't want me to know?

It just strikes me as very weird that the nurse in charge of doing my blood tests, simply refuses to tell me my blood type. And why she felt the need to lie to me & say she couldn't see the information? I didn't overtly object to her response, though I probably should have.

M'eh. Just very strange.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I’m not sure how it is over there but I’m the U.S. if you donate blood they’ll give you a card with your blood type on it… there are also tests you can get online that only require a finger prick much like a blood sugar test that will tell you.

So far as why they won’t/haven’t told you… could venture guesses but they’d be just that… I have however noticed they seem a bit weird about letting anyone know they have a negative blood type so maybe that’s it…

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

I've had the same experience.
To this day I don't know my blood type.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
You too, huh? I'm mid 30s in the U.S. and have gotten that for years now. Even the doc got cagey the last time I went. I've done a few at home D.N.A. kits. None will tell me my "neanderthal percent either". I remember having tons of bloodwork done as a child. Even my mother wont tell me what it was for. Nothing in my medical records pertaining to either. Sorry I couldnt be more help but you're not alone at least.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   
If you make a Data Subject Access Request under the provisions of the Data Protection Act, they are legally obliged to give you the information from your health records. All the information from the day you were born, if that's what you want, but they might find it quicker just to let you know your blood-group.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Ill have to check out the finger prick test. That could be interesting. I would want to get at least 3 to see if the change at all. When I did the DNA look up I went with 2 of then for kicks. Came back pretty much the same. 1 or 2 % difference was all. a reply to: SwissMarked

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   

To get your blood type in the NHS at least requires someone to do a crossmatch with group and save, you know those blood bottles we use they're different colours for different tests. So if you're going in to say get you're cholesteroel checked its probably going to be a yellow tube (might be grey), or if you're getting your Hb levels done its a purple. Pink is usually used for blood type.

So thats the first part of this, when you've gone into to get your bloods checked a group and save with a cross match is not part of your routine blood work.

I can tell your right now as a critcal care nurse i am reguarlly looking at patient records and blood work and the only time i honestly ever see a blood type is when am giving blood products. Its not splashed all over your medical records and honestly unless you have ever had to go for a crossmatch then its probably not even on the records.

They're not going to do a cross match for your blood type unless they have reason to do so and just to satisify your curiosity is not one of those reasons.

You mention as a child you think you may have had bloods taken for this purpose but I would point out that this was very long ago. Typically records of stuff done when you where a kid are not in your records. 30 years ago record keeping was different.

Simple answer is that your GP's records most proably like a lot of people just don't contain that inforamtion. Most people find out their blood type actually after giving blood and am sure if you really wanted to know theres probably some online service that will aslo give you your blood type.
edit on 14-8-2021 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Go online. They sell inexpensive accurate blood type kits. Very easy and simple. Everyone should know their blood type. O positive here. We checked ours in biology class in high school. They probably should just do this in all schools. However, I'm aware that if they did, some would believe it was just a way to get everyone's DNA for nefarious purposes instead of just a biology exercise and a good way to find out your blood type at an early age.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If you served in the Military here in the US your dog tags has your blood type on them.
Not sure about other countries.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   
When I was in junior high, we typed our own blood as part of a health class lab, and so I knew mine from that.

Then when I was pregnant, they, of course, typed me, so that was confirmation of what I knew from junior high.

Husband regularly donates here, so he knows his from that.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Because your so special with a top secret bloodline that only the greats may possess. Right.

Secretly w8ing to rise up and take your place in the direction of humanity. Right.

Give me a break. Any General Practitioner would give you the info readily.

Nice try at I'm better than you psych op.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Delicious.

On topic, on don't know mine either.

edit on 14-8-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I did not get an A in blood type, pretty sure I got a B-

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   
U.S. here.
Last fall, during my physical I asked my PC to type my blood, and also check my vitamin "D" level.
He did both and the results of it, and all other tests, are available to me at any time on my patient portal.

I will admit the doctor is part of a large hospital system in my area.
ETA
I also told him I wanted it in my records to save time should it ever be needed quickly.

edit on Sat Aug 14 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
My parents both had/have medical backgrounds, and I remember them discussing blood types. Dad used to have to give full blood transfusions to newborn infants, and it tore him up. He was doing his internship as a Bacteriologist in San Francisco at that time I think. He became a Chemist, and Microbiologist instead, because of that.

My folks told me how nervous they were when they went to get their blood tests, before getting married. If I am remembering the story correctly, they had agreed to not get married, if one of them was a negative. They weren't. Mom was always proud to be type O+, and I think dad is type B+. I have forgotten, but think mine is type AB+.

If I was you, I would just tell your doctor that you want to know. I dont think nurses are supposed to tell you a whole lot of information. You just asked the wrong person.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SwissMarked
I’m not sure how it is over there but I’m the U.S. if you donate blood they’ll give you a card with your blood type on it… there are also tests you can get online that only require a finger prick much like a blood sugar test that will tell you.

So far as why they won’t/haven’t told you… could venture guesses but they’d be just that… I have however noticed they seem a bit weird about letting anyone know they have a negative blood type so maybe that’s it…

I am A- as are my mom, my sister my grandmother and my daughter. Its dangerous for subsequent pregnancies if a woman has a positive blood type baby. They have a vaccine called Rhogam that they give after delivery of a positive baby, as my son is. I was again given Rhogam when pregnant with my daughter, but it was not necessary as she is negative also.

There is no reason to hide your blood type. Maybe it doesnt matter at all if you are male.
edit on 8/14/2021 by BrujaRebooted because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It depends on the software she is using at work, there are limitations who sees what and is allowed to see. Person taking your blood only sees what lab tubes she needs to fill and what kind of test are asked by the doctors like Na K Krea etc. She doesn´t see your blood type. Have you ever been in surgery? Before surgery blood type is checked and if there is no previous lab tests of that they take new one.

Women who have given birth knows their bloodtype, it is taken prior labour.

You can donate blood and know that way too.

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

It's kind of good to know....lol I wore it on my dog tags for 28 years...

posted on Aug, 14 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I also told him I wanted it in my records to save time should it ever be needed quickly.

I'm on Testosterone treatments and about every 6 months I get bloodwork done checking a lot of things and it is all accessible online for me. It doesn't mean I really know what I'm looking at but all the numbers are right there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join