It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Not Just Delete Old Threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It seems to me that there is a lot of people complaining about post quality and content on here lately. Well, heres my idea on what needs to be done. If your smart, you'll listen to me. I'm never wrong. Serioulsy..

This has happend to me only a couple times, but I've seen it happen to countless threads. Someone starts one, and within 4 or 5 posts, a mod steps in and says "please use existing links". Now if its a current post, then no problem. But when its being reffered to a thread that hasnt had a post made on it in months, then whats the problem? Instead of making us dig into an old post, why not let the new one carry on? New people join here everyday. They dont know anyone here, and want to make a name for themselves.

If a thread has been "discussed to death", then dont reply. Read another, or create your own. Instead of making us dig it up on here, why not delete old threads after a certain amount of inactivity. The more pages the post, the longer the "inactivity" time would be allowed for.

You mods and administrators are missing a big point here. Part of the fun of this site (IMO) is the point system. Everyone wants them. It increases the amount of posts you get. You are truely missing out on some quality posts because of mods telling people to "look it up on here" or "its been done to death".

Well, guess what? SO WHAT ???? Its been done to death, to YOU!! Not to the guy that has only been here for a month or so. If its so boring, then MOVE ON !! It seems arrogant to me. If you let a new guy post more, youll get better quality out of him. If keep crushing them, you'll make them go away, or make them SARCASTIC !!!

Plus...the search feature here really leaves alot to be desired. 3 keywords and BLAH....its just a little to sloppy for my liking. Anyrate..my point...

You guys should just clean up the old, non-active posts here if space is a concern. You shouldnt crush new posts so fast. Like I said, if its currently being discussed, no problem. But I think letting people make their own posts will only add to this forum. A constant influx of ideas is good. You never know what one has to offer. Dont be in such a hurry to slam the door.

**side note** I had two threads I openly posted and u2u'd a mod about deleting. It took almost a week to get rid of them.

**side note x 2** I'm not rippin on anyone here. I understand mods got a job to do. This is just my opinion..

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Old posts contain a lot a useful information and it would be a big shame to lose them.

I would say that at least once every week or so, an ATS post will show up during a Google search that I've done. If the links were dead because the post was removed it would be really annoying and could discourage other persons from visiting the site.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

as posted by AceOfBase
Old posts contain a lot a useful information and it would be a big shame to lose them.

My thoughts, as well.
Ever so often, when time permits, some forums are 'Spring cleaned', but largely to get rid of closed topics having absolutely no relevance.
Even then, some forums have INDEX threads.

Nothing is full-proof or perfect, thus we rely on members to take the initiative and a little time to either use the New ATS simplified search or the New Posts feature to see if a topic or like topic has been previously started.

This bit of information may prove to be useful and may also allow for you to make further comments on how to improve matters.
IMPORTANT: New ATS Policy on Repeating Topics in Threads

Redundancy is bad within a pre-set or pre-determined time span, but the re-hashing of old topics is not necessarily frowned upon either. To simple "delete old threads" will not solve nor help alleviate the problem or matter.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well, im talking about old, INACTIVE threads. Like, the more pages the longer it could stay. It not even that I want old ones deleted, per say..

I just thought since they always say its to save room, they could just clean up the old ones. I just wish Mods wouldnt be in such a hurry to close new threads, thats all.

BTW--this aint personal. It hasnt happened to me as of late. Just something ive been pondering for a while.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The value of certain threads is their age. You can use the search function on a topic like "Mad Cow" and there'll be threads there from long ago. It allows you to see people discussing an issue circa 2003.

I'd say that forums like this are the defining pivot of the Internet. What we say here is being written on stone tablets just like in Babylon.

For example: Go to Yahoo and type "smallpeeps" and "barely literate populations". You will find that I OWN this search.

Search Yahoo for "smallpeeps" + "barely literate populations"

Try it with your own nickname and something you have posted about on ATS. You will be amazed. Companies pay millions to Yahoo to have this kind of voice on the Internet. You become something, on the Internet, just because you posted on ATS.

This is staggering. For example, if I want to put the words, "COKE: It's the REAL thing!" in the middle of my post, aren't I actually creating a valuable product for that company?

Forums like this are valuable precisely because the old posts are preserved. You cannot just want to "make a name for yourself". That's not the way to approach it.

If we do what you suggest, you'll slowly begin hearing, "Yeah, there was a thread about that long ago.. Hmm.. Too bad we deleted it!" Why would you throw away history?

Check it out:

Seach Yahoo for "weise white owl"

...This is a revelation, I believe. We can see how no thread should ever be deleted. This is a world-wide-web and each strand is valuable in a web.

Our words written here will exist for as long as civilization continues on Earth. As to how long that will be, you'll have to ask someone who's more qualified to answer.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
seekerof--->

Im not wanting to get rid of old posts all together, I just dont see the problem if someone new starts a post thats "been done to death", then why not just move on..ya know? whats the big deal??

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

Im not wanting to get rid of old posts all together, I just dont see the problem if someone new starts a post thats "been done to death", then why not just move on..ya know? whats the big deal??

Actually, SO has recently addressed this issue.

IMPORTANT: New ATS Policy on Repeating Topics in Threads

Hope that helps in some way

PA

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Well, im talking about old, INACTIVE threads. Like, the more pages the longer it could stay. It not even that I want old ones deleted, per say..

You're wrong this time.

All of ATS is indexed by Google. Our legacy of old content is the gold mine by which new users find there way here through search engines.

It's staying right where it is.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ok, Ok, I think my point is being missed.. I dont want to delete old threads..Keep em here forever..My issue is more with deleting the new threads, even if tis "been done to death". Who cares? let the new ones get in on it.

My point is that its fun to post. What isnt fun is gettin your threads dumped, because someone is sick of it. If your sick of it move on. I suggested dumping the old ones, because perhaps, space is an issue.

And certainly dont dump ALL of them. Just like the said before, just some spring cleaning. I just think your making a mistake by slamming the door shut on new posts.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Read the new policy (already linked to twice at least here in this thread).

You'll notice that we agree with you!

At least on NEW threads talking about an old topic.

We are now far less kneejerk on closing such a topic...as long as the older thread isn't within 10 days or something...

But yeah, not dumping the old...

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wow smallpeeps.......I have seen this phenomenon to.....
if I google up TheRiverGoddess it takes you to all my past posts on ATS.......I believe this is true of all posters here......This is not a 'private' place for venting and spewing. Act respectable and you shall be respectable as I always am reminding myself
I fail at that at times though....

Any family member, ANYONE can read exactly what you write if they only care to......all they need is your nickname!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
In google...

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,510 for netchicken "abovetopsecret.com".

Beat that

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
In google...

Beat that

ok

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,420 for pisky "above top secret".

or

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,470 for pisky "abovetopsecret.com"

Pixyness reigns !

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Pisky]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Beat that

Okay.

Results 1-10 of about 5,180

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,510 for aceofbase abovetopsecret.com

Beaten by Pisky, Netchicken and Banshee :|

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

In google...

Beat that

Damn, I thought I was a wordy person,

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,770 for intrepid abovetopsecret

But it seems the only one I beat was.........................

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
No man, you don't get it. It's not the number of hits you come up with when you use your nickname and "abovetopsecret". That just shows how much posting you do on ATS, which is irrelevant.

What IS relevant is that your nickname here can be associated with a particular topic in a unique and historically unprecedented way. A way that will be found by searchers of Yahoo and Google for as long as those entities exist.

Read the history of these companies and you will learn much. Look into a company called "dejanews.com" that was the first to really index the postings of Usenet, which is where a lot of the Google value exists. Google bought dejanews. The web changed on that day. Usenet was unique because it was totally unique at the time. Google saw that value. They bought all those threads for almost nothing and they built their brand on that body of human communication. They 0wn it, you see?

Now, we here who post at ATS are actually shaping the content of whatever Yahoo thinks they are selling. God knows there's lots of products they sell at Yahoo, but when the members type stuff into the search engine, MY thoughts pop up there... Well, mine and others who post eloquently.
This happens because the search technology is growing smarter faster than the marketing people's ability to exploit it. It's like a gold mine left for all who understand the technology.

I think Yahoo should pay me for my work to make their search engine so interesting. They should at least pay ATS or donate to literacy.

Get those Yahoo guys on the phone somebody!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The GLORY!

Okay, having a word for a name may not be quite fair.

As to what smallpeeps is saying though, that's how I find old posts quickly. Like RANT + Walmart or RANT + Illuminati + Libertarians.

Also your vanities help. Even old ones. Rant Heroic Malcontent

So change often!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What if instead of closing the topic we just put the incorperate the new posts into an exhisting/old topic? Wouldnt that save space? You would probably have to take out the authors first post then. I think that could work.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Why mess with history? Good things happened, bad things happened, keep it the way it is. My example is WWII. OMFG it sucked, but if given the change, I wouldn't change a thing about it because it's our history and deserves to stay put. Yours is a slightly less dramatic issue, but one nonetheless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join