It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UEFA European Football Championship 2020 (21) , the Time has Come

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Nooooo.

I don't have square brackets on my crap phone.

posted on Jul, 12 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Good question.

Preferably it would be an Englishman, so options are immediately limited.

There are some excellent coaches and managers in the bottom half of the Premiership and even the lower leagues.
But none that I think are ready for that job just yet - at least none that I can recall at present.

Foreigners I'd consider would obviously be Klopp and Tuchel - I know most people will disagree with me here but I wouldn't like to see Guardiola, his teams also bore the tits off me most of the time.

So, as much as it pains me to say this....Gerrard has done an amazing job at Rangers so he'd be my choice.
Part-time to start with - hopefully enough time away from Rangers though to disrupt things for them - then go to Qatar as an Assistant before taking over the reigns afterwards.

posted on Jul, 12 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   

PMSL.

Sent you another PM mate.

🤞

posted on Jul, 12 2021 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

So, as much as it pains me to say this....Gerrard has done an amazing job at Rangers so he'd be my choice.

Oddly enough he was the first name that popped into my head! My initial reaction to that thought was don’t be daft, surely there’s someone more seasoned. But since I’m not the only one who had that thought, then maybe it’s not so bonkers.

My money was on Eddie Howe. He showed that he can grow an attacking team with Bournemouth and imo is the best fit out there. However, he’s starting at Celtic.

I could see Sean Dyche moving on from Burnley if he got the offer. I can also see the FA liking the idea of Lampard (hope not - don’t think he’d be much better than Southgate, listening to his England punditry).

edit on 12-7-2021 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

Eddie Howe did great at Bournemouth....but winning things with England is a whole different ball game. (He's not going to Celtic).
There's certainly worse options, much worse.
But personally I'd like to see him at a bigger club with bigger expectations first.

English managers just don't get chances at the big clubs - Lampard is the obvious exception that proves the rule.

I think Lampard's inexperience showed at Chelsea.
Maybe in time.

His punditry was crap.
So was most other people on these panels.

I normally like Gary Neville - I feel dirty just typing that - but he spoke utter #e.
I thought Rio Ferdinand was probably the best of a bad bunch (My Dad did remind me that they get paid not to rock the boat during these tournaments....unlike Roy Keane who DOES gets paid to be controversial, the pantomime villain.)

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Roy vs Ian Wright is always great entertainment! Roy’s definitely cast as the panto villain, but IMO that just gives him the luxury of honesty.

In terms of the final I thought lineker gave the best review, asking why the subs were used so late. Then Rio jumped to Southgate’s defence in full ‘not allowed to criticise the coach’ mode. Rio’s usually decent, but that night I thought he was part of the emperor’s clothes problem.

Thanks for the update on Howe. I knew he was at a lose end and Google let me down. If he’s a free agent I’d put at the top of the list. For sure Bournemouth is a very different job to England, but he’s talented, attack minded and young enough to stick with them for several year without him panicking that he’s running out of time to win the league post England. To me that’s a perfect package for what England needs right now.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

To be honest, I didn't listen to any of the post-match autopsy - my head was deep in a case of John Smiths and I was busy giving my own critique to my Dad who was surprisingly less scathing than me and more even minded.

What I have seen of the pundits from after the match has been from news reports and video's etc.

Having had time to sit back and collect my thoughts I'm probably even more critical of the final performance and Southgate's tactical failings.

But.....

Eddie Howe definitely ticks a lot of boxes and I'd much rather see him in place than the present incumbent and many of the other candidates.
I just think that as he lacks any international and tournament experience and hasn't had to deal with the ego's of the many prima donna's that sadly is a part of managing at the highest level the time may not be quite right at present.

Maybe if the transitional process between managers was changed he could be gradually introduced into the international management environment?

Sad that its the racial abuse aimed at Rashford etc that has become THE story.
Seems to me that MSM is absolutely revelling in it......

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I'd suggest a sweep for when carpy is going to crack the signature code puzzle but I fear no-one will win.

Maybe he's just dragging his feet and wants me to be the only idiot Englishman who has to have the Italian flag as his signature? (This is a conspiracy site after all).

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I was thinking Stevie Gerrard too. Im a bit surprised you're not a Rangers supporter?
If Southgate is really honest with himself he will realise he made a balls up of the final and that he is holding the players back. He hasn't got the nous to change tactics, he did the same in the semi final 3 years ago. Ive seen Klopp, Mourinho, Tuchel all make substitutions in the first half of games when things weren't going right. Can you see Southgate doing that? Not a hope of it.

He should step down if yiz are to win a trophy, yiz wont win one with him in.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 04:49 AM
link   
There's a current vacancy with England U-21s. I'd suspect the likes of Lampard, Eddie Howe (not Gerrard) would be candidates there. It would also be a good stepping stone to the big job. That is how Southgate arrived. He'd also brought a lot of the players through from that level into the senior England team which helped earn their respect. But finding a successor is a head scratcher. We are also probably looking ahead maybe 18 months to two years from now, and things change rapidly.

Of the English managers in the Premier League I don't think someone like Dyche would be a good fit for England. Steve Bruce is probably not quite right either. Dean Smith at Villa and Graham Potter at Brighton don't have high enough profiles, IMHO.

If we go foreign, then we need someone who not only speaks good English but also has some relationship with the English game. No more Capellos. I don't think the likes of Klopp, Tuchel, Guardiola would entertain the idea unless they happen to be out of work. Solksjaer isn't really in the same league even if he is literally.

Wenger has some credibility, but I don't know if he could be coaxed back into management and I think his time has gone. Benitez might have been a wild card option as his family are settled in England. But he's only just gone to Everton. Gerrard looks a good fit, but I think he's probably got his eyes on the Liverpool job. So timing would be vital. But Southgate might win the World Cup and then what?

edit on 13/7/2021 by mirageman because: ....

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Southgate is too arrogant to resign - I think managers need to have a certain degree of arrogance.
But that shouldn't stop the F.A. maneuvering his successor into place and getting them to work together - but it absolutely HAS to be someone more proactive and positively minded.

Celtic supporter through and through - I'm not easily stereotyped or pigeon holed.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
I'd suggest a sweep for when carpy is going to crack the signature code puzzle but I fear no-one will win.

Maybe he's just dragging his feet and wants me to be the only idiot Englishman who has to have the Italian flag as his signature? (This is a conspiracy site after all).

Or just a technophobe with a crap phone that he doesn't understand and is tied up with w*rk?

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Put the image in your avatar instead

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 05:50 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join