It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware those quoting scriptures

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I have to agree with what you are saying, but only *slightly* disagree with the 'beware' part. I don't/won't-under normal circumstances, quote the bible to anyone. Not because I don't think it's holy-quite the contrary-it *is* holy and therefore like anything else holy is perceived and viewed differently then the next. It annoys me when people quote the bible to me, I say to them, very good that was for YOU to perceive in that way, now you want to hear how I perceive that very same entry? I always get a look much like this one
whenever I say that..

SO...you are on the right track IMO Cass..but again remove the beware, and perhaps change it to, be aware..
Mag

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Sorry and one last question is it my king james version or my Torah thats right or could it even be my copy of the Quran? Personally I like my Good News version at least it puts a positive spin on it

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
magestica, thanks I feel you have understood where others have failed to. Wise words and ones that deserves a better response than I can give now (1.44 am and knackered)

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 08:05 PM
link   
what pisses me the most is when anyone say others don't understand what he said just because they don't agree with him.

Just plain ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
"what pisses me the most is when anyone say others don't understand what he said just because they don't agree with him"

So you don`t like God?

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What's there to like or dislike?

God doesn't exist, and if a God (mind you not a religious God) should exist that is of little if any importance beyond the whole existential question.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassini
Well the title makes it pretty obvious what I`m gonna say but I`m gonna say it anyway. From Christianity to Islam beware of those who hold the Bible/relevant religious text in their hands and do not mind telling you what is said therein.

God is in my heart and I find him in no book. He speaks to my heart and my soul. Those who quote text to you are the ones in the wrong for they know not the will of God but the word of man and the corruption the devil has placed inside.

This is just my opinion, but I do believe that cassini makes a valid point(s).

The "quoting" of scripture is used on a regular basis by those of Christianity to Islam quite frequently and with no consequence. Many do this to prove a point or for justification for believing 'such and such'.

I have often wished that this practice was used with more caution than as a 'benifit tool.' Scripture today has many a varied meanings. If what I said was wrong, we would not have 250+ different denominations within the Protestantism alone. Nor would there be several divisions within the Catholicism and Judaism.

Scripture can be interpreted in varying ways and with varying opinions.....hence the caution I think one should have in "quoting" scripture. Your way of using it, thus interpreting it, may or may not be as I view its use or its interpretation.

Cassini said: "God is in my heart and I find Him in no book."

Indeed, well spoken, in the respect of God is in our hearts. And, if I interpret what he meant by the "God is in no book," I would surmise, again, well spoken.

God is found in everything and anything. God is simply 'All'. God is "expressed" and "defined" by books. I have always felt that God is beyond a 'mere' definition. God is even beyond full understanding, and if this is so, a definition does not define but confine God to set parameters; set guidelines, etc. I don't see God this way....God is a 'personal' thing, something that no book, or any amount of words can describe....though we try.
God is the 'cause' and we are the 'effect'. God is simply Everything. We seek to 'explain' Him, interpret Him, understand Him. I feel we should not seek the unattainable, but seek the unavoidable.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 16-7-2003 by Seekerof]

[Edited on 16-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Perhaps it would be better to say, "Beware of people who quote scriptures out of context and do what is called "proof texting". This not only done by some Christians and Muslim but also by the anti-theist skeptics. Very few Biblical passages can be individually qouted without losing some of the meaning; however, there are a few (such as Ephesians 2:8-9) which can be quoted without losing the message being conveyed. But there are those passages which must be considered in the entire context of a chapter or even the entire book. Now if you are to accept the existence of God and accept the Bible as the Word of God, then how can you determine the nature of God without reading the Bible. Indeed it has been pointed out that there are portions of the Bible which may be subject to interpretation (example is pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, or pre wrath rapture), but the important doctrines are abundantly clear and not open to interpretation,

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
"You say it is of Satanic origin"

TC, no I`m not saying that, I`m saying God must work through man and man is fallible. I don`t honestly believe I am blaspheming here, I do not call God into question but humans. And I don`t remember being told that is blasphemous at any point.

"Mr. Cassinni: Have you actual read the bible?"

Yes and I spent many years going to Sunday school and many years listening to the vicar preach. I have also over the years had time to read it and have also read other religious texts. You have missed my point entirely sometimes thinking "outside the box" is necessary people.

Thank you to those who did understand thought and replied rather than those who reacted.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join