It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is demanding that U.S. Citizens Confirm they Are Eligible To Vote Truly Racist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Do you not receive polling cards in the US?

We have them delivered to our homes generated by national census data. Every UK citizen is sent one.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Yes we do. At least I do. Also, you must provide ID to register to vote. But, I think this is about presenting ID in person at the voting booth, in addition to being listed on the voting rolls and being present with your polling card in hand.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I know how it was when I was a trouble making teenager. If you didn't have a driver license yet, the cops expected you to have a state ID, a student ID from school, or at least a library card, just any kind of ID. I'm white, yet I got "carded" all the time. They want you to always carry ID from a very young age, card you for cigarettes and beer until you're a senior citizen, and having ID is pretty essential for medical care, any government program or getting employed and unless you're buying a gun off the street, forget it without ID. You need an ID for everything under the sun except to "legally" vote.

Now as far as racism goes, the cops could tell I'm white just as well as they could tell if I were black, brown, or whatever. The same can be said for voting, an ID wouldn't have anything to do with race or racism, unless the new rules were based on racist stereotypes. Some examples of stereotypes, blacks are too poor or uneducated to have an ID, black people all look the same so ID wouldn't do any good, blacks are a bunch of criminals that never carry ID even if they had one, blacks never need a driver's license because they car jack their rides, and so on.

Now that I've thought about it, they very often want you to have as much as three forms of identification for many things. The type of extra ID includes birth certificate, driver's license or picture ID from the state, a utility bill with your name and address, along with a few other things. Isn't needing all that identification super racist?
edit on 6-3-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

It's also a violation of their rights to ask for an ID since not everyone can afford one they claim. Yet they have no problem with demanding the ID to take part in their 2nd Amendment rights.

Don't bother with logic, it's all about winning at any cost and pushing agendas.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 04:40 AM
link   

So how again is it racist to ask for the ID at the polls if they need one to register?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I always found the idea that voter id laws affect each race differently to be a little racist.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

So how again is it racist to ask for the ID at the polls if they need one to register?

I didn't say it was. The OP did, by accusation, and I asked for an example. Flatcoat provided me an ACLU link that lists a few grievances. Addressing those grievances, I suggested a free national ID card. Seems like it would solve all their grievances. www.aclu.org...
edit on 6-3-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Well Democrats say it is. You are right there are easy solutions. Those solutions would prevent voter fraud though, so Democrats have no interest. There's a reason they want to prevent needing an ID to vote.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'm afraid a lot of right wingers would call a national ID card "The Mark of the Beast".

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
So, I guess one solution is for the government to provide free national identification cards to all American citizens when they turn 18.

We have a hunting season for deer. We have a hunting season for turkey.

Why not have a hunting season for illegal immigrants?

Whole month of October ought'a do nicely.

edit on 632021 by Snarl because: Boogaloo

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Joe says...black people have trouble doing simple things like getting an ID and using a computer to find out where to get a vax.
Therefore, racist.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   

being eligible to vote has nothing to do with race. it has to do with if your a U.S. citizen or not, above the age of 18,and meet your states residency requirements. even homeless people can vote. and your right to do so is not restricted by being a convicted felon, even this varies from state to state.

those that say it's racist are full of ....., well this ain't the pit so fill it in for yourself.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   
To answer the original poster's attempt to gaslight the readers of this thread I would like to remind everyone of two simple facts:

1) In order to vote in the United States you MUST BE REGISTERED to vote. This applies in every state and territory. EVERY ONE.
2) In order to register to vote, you must PROVE you are a CITIZEN. This applies in every state and territory. EVERY ONE.

So what exactly does your demand to 'prove eligibility to vote' do that isn't already happening?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Well Democrats say it is. You are right there are easy solutions. Those solutions would prevent voter fraud though, so Democrats have no interest. There's a reason they want to prevent needing an ID to vote.

No they don't - and you know it - you are pushing this barrow just for the sake of obstinance.

Eligibility to vote (i.e. Citizenship) is established at registration time - that is the way it is and has always been. The fact that you are a registered voter is verified at the polling station by the fact that you appear on the poll lists - that is the way it is and has always been. When there is doubt at the polling station, a provisional ballot is provided and is not counted until the doubt has been successfully cleared up - that is the way it is and has always been.

I have ALWAYS needed my voter card at the polling booth or ID to match the registration on the polls list and my signature is matched (full disclosure: I now live overseas and vote absentee - there are still similar checks). There is nothing new or racist about it and this has always been the case.

What makes it racist is 'nuance' - making it difficult or impossible to actually register by imposing unreasonable requirements or the requirement of one particular form of ID at the polling station to the exclusion of all others, and ensuring that that ID is relatively more difficult (in some cases impossible) to obtain for voters who are likely to not vote for you.

Imposing non-sensical, expensive restrictions on eligible voters, making them jump through hoops to exercise their right and civic duty to vote to solve a problem that does not exist is mindbogglingly stupid.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

How is that possible when I don't have to show my ID to vote?

My name is on a list, and if someone else shows up and says they are me, they get to steal my vote. Thus the Democrats refusal to allow states to clean up their voter logs.

#DeadLivesMatter

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

At the very least, proof of identification should be required to vote but proof of citizenship should be verified upon registration.

Yep, even Canada demands that their voters must have one of 40 official identifications. Unless they changed their law again, they do it often, and I am not aware of it... Not sure why 40...but anyway...

Even Canada?
🤔

Even though our logistical talents lately have all but disappeared, we got this “ID for voting” perfected. As long as we have something, or a few somethings that prove who we are and where we live, we’re good. There’s  always some type of ID that is easy for someone to prove who they are. So yeah, there’s like about 40ish.

We do need some election reforms, definately, but we’ve perfected ID for everyone.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa
To answer the original poster's attempt to gaslight the readers of this thread I would like to remind everyone of two simple facts:

1) In order to vote in the United States you MUST BE REGISTERED to vote. This applies in every state and territory. EVERY ONE.
2) In order to register to vote, you must PROVE you are a CITIZEN. This applies in every state and territory. EVERY ONE.

So what exactly does your demand to 'prove eligibility to vote' do that isn't already happening?

Think a little bit deeper on the subject.

How often must one register to vote in a particular jurisdiction?

With what frequency do city, state and federal elections take place?

What type of naughty things can happen when the time delta between voter registration and the next iterative election cycle becomes not just years, but decades?

Also, to present a supporting argument from the other perspective, why can't I, as a valid US citizen with proper ID, show up at a polling station and just vote, no strings attached?

For the 2016 election, I had moved across town in October of that year, so I was still a registered voter in my same city. However, when I showed up to vote at the polling station nearest my new home, all heck broke lose, because you see, the pollsters are using data that was at least 9 years old at that point. Considering that I had just moved households less than a month before the election, the timing couldn't have been any worse, with respect to election participation.

What if I had been on business travel for on occasion that came up spur of the moment in early November, without a chance register for an absentee ballot? Why can't I just show up at a polling station in Illinois, and being a resident of Connecticut, the election system can compensate by presenting me with the ballot for my locality, and re-route my vote to the appropriate vote counting system?

The current system is BROKEN on a number of levels; it is the outlines of 19th century voting system trying to keep up with life in the 21st century.

Anyone that feels this system is A-O-K is clearly happy with clunky, outdated voting methodology that makes things needlessly difficult for honest voters, and makes fraud much easier than it should be for dishonest ones.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I don't see it as raciest.

I do see that poor people will have a harder time getting the info they need for proof.Believe it or not some are so poor that they can't even get a state id. I have been that poor.
So why doesn't the government pay to get the id's or whatever they need for them?
Verify eligibility yes, but shouldn't the government be making it easier for the eligible to vote?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam
But they were tested for Covid right?

There's no proof of testing of recent migrants.

Welcome to the next major scandal 😃

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

They're available, but of course, that does require people to get off their butts and go get them.

However, since so many people are on social services which *do* require one to provide just such a form of ID in order to access them, I assume that these same people can do so for the opportunity to vote as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join