It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God have better things to do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I've never been a very religious man. I went to church growning up but found it to restrictive. I like to think and examine and question, the church just didn't jive with that. I was Catholic so maybe that had something to do with it, who knows.

At any rate, that's not the real point. I found religion restrictive, regardless of what type. I'm not opposed to a higher power, but I'm not sure I've heard about one that really makes sense.

I mean, does an omnipotent being really have the time to worry and care about what goes on here on Earth? Wouldn't they have bigger, God like activities to attend to in the UNiverse? Like, God meetings and creating other things and such. I just imagine God in meetings all day going over flow charts and stuff.

Why stop with the creation of just one Earth, if you believe in that. Wouldn't God want to spread the joy? What is the point of creating someone only to worship you? If that is the drive wouldn't you want to create as many people as possible to worship you? Then again, if you are omnipotent what is the point of having people worship you? You're probably over that, it was so first century.

-O

[edit on 21-3-2005 by The Big O]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
God is either non-existant or irrelevant.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I dont think anyone could answer that, as we don't have a God's eye view of the things happening. In terms of God meetings, why would he have meetings. Perhaps he created the Universe because he got bored and wanted to see some action, who knows. Maybe he wanted others to feel love. Maybe the point is to feel love, instead of worship. If we feel love, we are happy, and according to Aristotle, all we seek is happiness (in the end) or contentment. So, perhaps we have it wrong in terms of worship, and instead we should just love everyone and be loved, and experience the joy, but still hold the love for God in our heart as he gave us these feelings.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I guess he must have better things to do..... he clearly does nothing here.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moley

isn't that the point of free will? if he interfered and controlled things, we wouldn't really have free will, get it?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Ryan,

That's a really interesting viewpoint. I think Martin Luther King Jr. talked about love being the point of our existance here on earth.

It was an interesting point to ponder then and an interesting point to ponder now.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555

Originally posted by Moley

isn't that the point of free will? if he interfered and controlled things, we wouldn't really have free will, get it?

Yes I understand your point and if we truly have free will then that's fine, however we are told things like "God will punish our sins" and "God sees all" and that we should be god-fearing, which indicate that God WOULD intervene at some point.

So either he is a "hands-off" (free will) kind of God or he's not, right?

Or maybe both viewpoints are correct; i.e. we really DO have free will down here on Earth, and it's only when we get to Heaven that the day of reckoning occurs...... well in that case it seems to me I was right in the first place; he does nothing down here.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Yes I understand your point and if we truly have free will then that's fine, however we are told things like "God will punish our sins" and "God sees all" and that we should be god-fearing, which indicate that God WOULD intervene at some point.

You say "we are told things..." By who? We are told these things by Religions. You need to learn to separate religion and faith. I'm not affiliated with any religion, but have faith. And my God doesn't want us to fear him. He wants us to love him and love each other. And, he doesn't want us to kiss his butt. He wants us to enjoy the life given to us with the best of our abilities.....and he understand we are human. He is also not jkeeping a list of who's naughty and nice like Santa Claus with regards to who will be saved and who will not......

Deny religious nonsense!!

top topics

join