It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: IRA Dissident Terror Threat Level Raised

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The British Security Services have raised the threat level from IRA dissidents to "substantial". This is one level below that applied to Islamic Terrorists. It is believed that IRA splinter groups may be planning a series of attacks in the run up to the General Election, although no specific threats have been identified.

news.bbc.co.uk
Anti-terrorism police have warned that dissident Irish republicans may be planning attacks in Britain in the run-up to a general election.
The police sent a warning e-mail to businesses in London on Friday, the Observer newspaper reported.

The e-mail said the threat level had been raised to "substantial".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Whilst the threat level is still lower than Islamic Terror threats, it is worrying that Republican dissidents seem to be gearing up for some form of operations against the Mainland.

To put this in perspective, the IRA proper has had a ceasfire in effect since 1997, with the only major attack since then blamed on a splinter group known as the "Real IRA".

With the recent furore aimed at the Republican movement over the Northern Bank robbery and the murder of the man whose sisters have been meeting with high level movers and shakers,including George Bush, it makes you wonder what, if anything, these people hope to achieve? After so many years of peace and stability in Northern Ireland, why do they feel the need to return to cowardly terrorist attacks against the UK citizenry?

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The question should be.

What does the world have to hope to acheive by alienating Sinn Fein and the IRA. As far as i know, no one has being charged with the bank robbery and the raise in alert status is just that, without any direct evidence of an attack being planned. The McCarthy sisters have lashed on to the IRA even though it was an attack by an IRA member, not the IRA.

Seems to me as if the British authorities are deliberately trying to antagonise the IRA or force them to disband. This is a severe miscalculation on they part, it will only force moderate IRA members to become extremists.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
What does the world have to hope to acheive by alienating Sinn Fein and the IRA.

It gives more credibility to the war on terror.
Persons fighting the war on terror can not blast Hizzbolah and demand they disarm, while not holding the IRA accountable for their actions.

[edit on 20-3-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

What does the world have to hope to acheive by alienating Sinn Fein and the IRA. As far as i know, no one has being charged with the bank robbery and the raise in alert status is just that, without any direct evidence of an attack being planned. The McCarthy sisters have lashed on to the IRA even though it was an attack by an IRA member, not the IRA.

Seems to me as if the British authorities are deliberately trying to antagonise the IRA or force them to disband. This is a severe miscalculation on they part, it will only force moderate IRA members to become extremists.

Not in the slightest. The murder in Belfast has attracted so much attention, becasue Sinn fein and the IRA have covered up who did it, and have harrassed witnesses.

The Northern bank Robbery, several people have been arrested and charged, and a large volume of cash recovered in the Irish Republic. One of the men arrested was a known IRA memebr, and another was a high ranking Sin Fein member.

Most Republicans are now calling for the IRA to disband, because of the latest actions on their part. So if it is a British miscalculation, it's a damn good one!

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Sorry to say this but it proves that the IRA have no cards to play except extortion and violence.

The main source of funding for the IRA was the United States who, at a local civillian level at least, provided money which in turn was used to kill, over a 30 year period, over 4000 soldiers and civillians together. (More than the total dead of the twin towers and seeing that the UK population is a fraction of that of the USA the proportion is therefore much higher)

The US after 9/11 realised the full level of their mistake funding these people, cut off all money to them after getting a bitter taste of what the UK went through.

The IRA have been trying to secure new funds through gun running, robbery and sighning pacts with other terrorist organizations includeing apparently Al Quaeda backed terror groups.

This in turn including the sisters campaign to get justice for their dead kin and the veiled threats by Martin MacGuiness to them to stay out of political affairs plus the constant discredit of Sinn Fein the IRA is on the run and have no moral or political kudos anymore, so a return to the 'bomb the brits' wouldnt be surprising.

If they do take up arms again then the US and the world must allow us to do what we should ahve done years ago.

Eliminate them all...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
As an English man all my life, I can't for one reason understand why we have been so understanding and p**sy foot around with the IRA and Sinn Fein all these years. Am I correct in saying that we are here now because the IRA were to proud to take photos of disarming? If that is correct than that is pathetic, the IRA should have swallowed it and moved on.

My Dad always used to say that the IRA would never give up, going back to normal jobs is something they just can't do, its to ingrain in there lives now to fight not peace.

Makes me sick thinking about them using underhand dirty tactics like terrorism again.

IRA let down the Irish people as they are at heart the nicest people one could have as a neighbour.

Why can't the English just pull out and leave them all to it, there’s no OIL there.

I could go on for ever about how this angers me but it would just be more RANT.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Not in the slightest. The murder in Belfast has attracted so much attention, becasue Sinn fein and the IRA have covered up who did it, and have harrassed witnesses.

They even offered to shoot the people who did it! I know that's bad taste but c'mon, how can you accuse them of covering it up?

The Northern bank Robbery, several people have been arrested and charged, and a large volume of cash recovered in the Irish Republic. One of the men arrested was a known IRA memebr, and another was a high ranking Sin Fein member.

Could you point me to some sources, i haven't exactly being up to date in the bank robbery case down here in Aus.

Most Republicans are now calling for the IRA to disband, because of the latest actions on their part. So if it is a British miscalculation, it's a damn good one!

Pushing the IRA this hard to disarm is only going to radicalise (is this a word?) the group. It will go back to the bad old days, then the police will over-react when cracking down on the IRA. Then Blam!

IRA has majority support again and people are dying en-masse.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The goal of the NWO is the destruction of all armed, organized resistance. That includes street gangs, religious fanatics, nationalist guerillas, and yes, the IRA (who sort of qualify as all of the above).

Just another puzzle piece falling into place...

Pay no attention. Just hate them, and that will allow your governments to brutalize and interogate more of your countrymen to crush all resistance. It's all well and good to hate the IRA, until its your door getting kicked in, your kids being terrorized by tax-supported terrorism, your wife being harrassed, your jaw being broken, your testicles electrocuted, your freedom stolen, and your life snuffed out.

If you can't see it by now, you probably never will.

The executioners blade rises above all our necks, and you presume to assume your innocence while assuming the guilt of others who you've never met nor known.

But off with their heads..just the same. Yes..off with all our heads. It's the only way to end this farce.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The goal of the NWO is the destruction of all armed, organized resistance. That includes street gangs, religious fanatics, nationalist guerillas, and yes, the IRA (who sort of qualify as all of the above).

Just another puzzle piece falling into place...

Pay no attention. Just hate them, and that will allow your governments to brutalize and interogate more of your countrymen to crush all resistance. It's all well and good to hate the IRA, until its your door getting kicked in, your kids being terrorized by tax-supported terrorism, your wife being harrassed, your jaw being broken, your testicles electrocuted, your freedom stolen, and your life snuffed out.

If you can't see it by now, you probably never will.

The executioners blade rises above all our necks, and you presume to assume your innocence while assuming the guilt of others who you've never met nor known.

But off with their heads..just the same. Yes..off with all our heads. It's the only way to end this farce.

Some terroism is true not born in the USA.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I never said it was born in the USA. I said the increased momentum driving prosecution of those resistance groups who organize against the state is a sure indicator that the NWO is on track and nearing it's point of no return.

I know the history of the IRA. They rose up for a good cause, found that they couldn't accomplish anything without violence because the house always wins in affairs of the state, and the rest is history.

The IRA could be a civil service organization, but they're being pushed into extremism by the deceptions and fickle judgements of a world gone mad. I dream of a world where the state is not an entity that anyone would wish to fight against.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
"world gone mad" you should get out more and see the world before you say a statement like that.

The is so much more out there in the world then you can imagine, than news headlines. You don't have to be apart of this NWO, there is another option out there. Just break free.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mfourl

The is so much more out there in the world then you can imagine, than news headlines. You don't have to be apart of this NWO, there is another option out there. Just break free.

Take my word for it, I'm free as a bird. I live in the mountains, free to observe the world below. I'm no more a part of the NWO than anyone else, and no less. It will happen or it won't, I will remain the same regardless.

The fact that I'm above and beyond it doesn't change the fact that it's happening. Infanticide rates are skyrocketing, rapes are skyrocketing, urban chaos is the order of the day, race wars and ethnic struggles are intensifying in several parts of the globe, weapons are becoming more destructive while at the same time their wielders are becoming more willing to deploy them. Even the weather and the animals are agitated. Snow in the UAE, while monkeys steal and eat babies in India and Asia?

The world has gone mad. If it wasn't already.

I make all my statements on this website and in real life based on convictions established after many years of study; research and reading on a scale that would make most Americans go "huh?" However, while my erudition has made me a tad, shall we say, prickly..I am always willing to learn something new. So by all means, if you have evidence, lay it on the table that we may examine it. I've laid a fair bit of evidence down to back up my convictions.

And I say again, the world has gone mad. If it wasn't already.

I don't condone the murders the IRA has commited. Unless of course they were necessary.

A wild animal will kill to survive, or it will die and be unable to pass its genetic information on to the next generation of its species. Humans are no different, at least in that regard. If the IRA is threatened with extinction, what do you expect them to do? Bear their neck and submit to the overwhelming 'rightness' of your logic? If they can be persuaded that their cause is truly lost, perhaps they will surrender and profit by betraying their comrades, exchanging hope of freedom for blood-money comforts. Only time will tell.

It won't matter one bit. We're out of step with the natural progression of things, and so the earth will most likely shake us off like the troublesome parasites we have become. We could have been caretakers of the garden, but we chose to be defilers. We could have been gods in paradise, instead we are tormented souls trapped in a hell of our own creation. (I'm speaking of the majority of course, not every individual.)

Society is insane. It's no surprise, since we are insane, and we created society. Just as the maker's mark (duality) is everywhere in the natural world, so is our mark placed on that which we create.

There is always hope for change, for a coming together of the four corners of the world and a sharing of the knowledge. Utopia is never more than one collective decision away...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

They even offered to shoot the people who did it! I know that's bad taste but c'mon, how can you accuse them of covering it up?

Because they are. Sinn fein have suspended several members who they believe are complicit in covering this up, but only after much pressure from the Governments of the UK and Eire, and public pressure.

The shooting offer is typical of the IRA, and is dispicable to say the least.

Could you point me to some sources, i haven't exactly being up to date in the bank robbery case down here in Aus.

Gladly....

Northern Bank Robbery
Ted Kennedy Snubs Sinn fein
IRA reaches defining moment
Sinn Fein where in the pub
Family meet GWB

If you need any more info, just check out the extensive coverage on BBC News.

Pushing the IRA this hard to disarm is only going to radicalise (is this a word?) the group. It will go back to the bad old days, then the police will over-react when cracking down on the IRA. Then Blam!

Not going to happen. The Republican movement are shifting away from Sinn Fein, and there has been many calls recently from them for the IRA to disband. They are losing support and very quickly I might add.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Stumason,

thanks for the links.

Seems like an interesting Saga.

new topics

top topics

join