It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU proposes outlawing "overconsumption" of clothing

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
I lived in Europe for 6 years total. Most of my European friends had half or less the amount of clothes I did. Most wore the same outfit over and over. The average washing machine in Europe is so tiny compared to US machines, it says it all.

Europe is not homogeneous, the way of living is different in different countries.

In how many European countries did you live?

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Really, a couple of Mao suits is all anyone really needs these days.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Is that a human version of Leisure Suit Larry?

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: The2Billies
They demand laws that make it impossible for the average person to purchase more than a few items a year.

Could you point to where in the article they say that?

Thanks in advance.

That is the basic gist of the entire article. Please read it. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...but who TF wears polyester?

THIS GUY!

How'd you get DB's Weightwatchers pic?

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I lived in northern Europe on the border of the Netherlands. Fabulous people and country by the way, even if I don't like their politics. Also lived on the border of France, and no the French are not rude people, even if I don't agree with much their government does. Loved their version of Walmart, bought lots of "french" perfume there as gifts. Spent time in Austria, Switzerland, Italy (my favorite underwear store is in Italy) and I could drive to it easily, Spain, UK of course, Monaco, missed Sweden but my husband went there even though it was within driving distance. Does that answer your question? (my last time in Europe was about 4-5 years ago)

Lived in Japan, and Korea. Tokyo is simply a carbon copy of NYC in Japanese, you have to go in the countryside to really get to know life in Japan. Korean people are mostly really nice but the country is so urbanized that life there is too urban for my taste. K-Pop is a nice import of their urban culture. (last time in East Asia was a LONG time ago, very long)

I know a little bit about European and East Asian culture and countries.

Have to admit, never been to Africa, Australia, or New Zealand. Have been to South and Central America, drove regularly into Mexico when it was still safe for shopping until about 15 years ago. Of course, been to Canada and at least have driven through all 50 states, lived in Hawaii for several years, (fantastic place to live, but very very very expensive). Lived for more than 2 years in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Virginia (THE most beautiful state in the nation, with people I can't stand), Alabama, Missouri, Kansas, Maryland, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Washington state, Nebraska, Illinois for 4 terrifying years in Chicago - even way back it was murder city. I think that about covers it all.

Yes, I'm old as heck and was a military family member for over 50 years total. I know a little bit about the world, more than most people and have seen and done more than most people. I have done so much that I don't say to people, "I've been there" when they talk about the "exotic" locals they visited, as it seems rude now. You probably won't believe me, many people don't, so I don't often give out history. Oh well, I'm sure the Democrats are already tracking me so it's too late anyway, I just gave away who I am for sure to anyone who wants to round me up for deprogramming and reeducation.

edit on 2/6/21 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Really, a couple of Mao suits is all anyone really needs these days.

I expect for women it will be Hillary pantsuits will be the basic required staple of everyone's wardrobe, except for the political class/hollywood/tech CEO's wives/and the rest of the very rich.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Although this is a recommendation from a pressure group, this is something I think all nations will eventually have to adopt, if the plan to cease using fossil fuels comes to fruition. However, they also recommend slowing down fashion, which will effect all of those creative types in the industry. In my opinion, that part is a non starter.
edit on 6/2/21 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If you want to recycle clothes,you can make quilts and blankets
out of them.I made my diaper bag out of a pair of jeans that had
lots of pockets.While I still had a clothesline,I used one of my baby's
dresses to make a clothespin bag.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No. Not many in the US wonder at all.

Perhaps not but some in the UK and Europe do.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I read it, but that was not my interpretation.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Thanks.

It's impossible to know a person's background just by a few posts on an Internet forum.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I don't like polyester anyway. I only wear naturals like cotton, silk or wool.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I mean, I knew a couple gals who you could probably swim laps with the amount of clothes they had covering the floor. But that's on them.

Why not talk about the excessive drama and hate that goes on in the fashion community? Or dolling up children for beauty pageants?

I realize it's an opinion and not something looking at being passed, but isn't there more pressing issues then what someone has in their wardrobe?

Bring on the orange jumpsuits for all! Everyone will have the same ass then.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Do no worry US ridden consumerism will never take this controlling of how we shop, but they can force us to buy only what is available, darn I got 3 closets full of useless clothing, shot me, I love to shop,

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Is at least part of the fix to highly tax oil based fabrics and fabric imports?

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Or maybe, they could stop playing with fashion companies afraid of lowering the value of name brand clothing lines.

Why attack the consumer, when fashion companies would rather burn donations or excess clothing then let homeless people walk around with Gucci bags or Adidas shoes?

Sounds like corporate needs to be attacked, not Susan who donated her fall wardrobe from last year.

They'll literally burn high value articles, to preserve a name brand value.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I wonder what textile manufacturers are going to make of this and how many jobs could be lost?

You do realise the ENDGAME for an unchecked mentality like this could be...

A SINGLE UNIFORM = COMMUNISM

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I wonder what textile manufacturers are going to make of this and how many jobs could be lost?

The clothing they're targeting is mostly made in Asian countries so any loss of sales would hit the poorest hardest , the EU have history with this kind of thing , enacting ill thought out policies to the detriment of others.

Hopefully this proposal falls by the wayside and the go for some kind of recycling initiative.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: DISRAELI

Is that why the new US Admin is living off a steady diet of EOs that are killing jobs? That's a recipe for preventing people from buying things if nothing else is.

Come on man he has only signed like 50 so far...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join