It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brand America Wobbling

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The American good image has faded across the global community these past few years.

The generally cocky attitudes and loud voices have gradually transformed into weak peeps and embarrassement.

May I ask what is being done to reverse this trend... or will the American brand keep falling even further?

What does our American representatives here at ATS feel about the situation?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
personally im not to worried, im still pretty damn cocky about my country to tell you the truth

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Agreed - particularly US consumer brands: Coca Cola, McDonalds etc are really feeling the pinch in UK.

Corporate America seems to have shot itself in the foot

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinalurker

Doing the right thing (now, and historically) hasn't always been popular. That's what separates the USA from most of the rest of the world, and is the reason behind her incredible success. We have strong convictions, and we stand behind them. Just as we have stood behind the strong convictions of other countries, for the betterment of the world at large.

We don't suffer from low self-esteem, nor worry about our popularity in the face of threats. We do what needs to be done.

PS - BTW, most Americans couldn't give a rats a$$ about Coca-Cola or McDonalds, nor their popularity in the UK.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
"PS - BTW, most Americans couldn't give a rats a$$ about Coca-Cola or McDonalds, nor their popularity in the UK"

Neither do we - take them back along with your spy bases then, please

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
CTID56092, mcdonalds and coke must be there because you guys buy their products. Quit spending your money on there products and they will go away. The power is in your hands now do something about it.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CTID56092
"PS - BTW, most Americans couldn't give a rats a$$ about Coca-Cola or McDonalds, nor their popularity in the UK"

That's my point!
Most of us don't want them here either!
All they do is sell unhealthy, overpriced, slop!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
one last, to each his own, i am pretty cocky about my country too. you think i give a flying phuk what some chinaman thinks of me? not a bit. especially one that comes waLTZING IN HERE LIKE HE OWNS THE FRICKIN PLACE.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The American good image has faded across the global community these past few years.

The generally cocky attitudes and loud voices have gradually transformed into weak peeps and embarrassement.

May I ask what is being done to reverse this trend... or will the American brand keep falling even further?

First up, this is a pharm thread to the core. Personal opinion on a nation ending with a question. Textbook example.

Secondly, you are out right wrong. The US is, and will be the worlds premier influence for many years to come. Regardless of what damage Dubya can do in 8 years to hurt it.

We all on these boards forget that money dictates politics. And the US spends more money than any nation on the planet. And thats all that counts. The US's citizens, its government, and its companies are the sole reason many nations in the world have any economy at all. And I dont care if you dont like this, but its the plain fact.

When, and I say WHEN, the USa replaces oil with a cheaper, renuable energy source, the entire middle east will dry up and become the third world regian it really is. The middle east LUCKED into wealth. They export nothing other than oil thats sufficient to support themselves.

The world needs the US and its buying power/habbits. Period. I think the world better remember this soon, before the US either takes what it wants from them, or replace the need all together.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Thucydides Book III, Paragraph.64, 'Benjamin Jowett Translation'
'Hatred and unpopularity at the time have ever been the fate of those who have aspired to empire. But it is good judgment to accept odium in a great cause; hatred does not last long, and brilliance of the moment and fame of afterdays remain forever in men's memories'

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'll second skippytjc's opinion.

Also, I'll second the don't buy it if you don't want it opinion. The McDonalds Corporation & Coca Cola obviously have something that your kind wants to buy & they sell it or they wouldn't be there. Fast food while not the healthiest choice allows us to spend our time doing other things we like rather wasting hours in the kitchen or dining room and that's what we are exporting and not necessarily the product itself. That's what non-Americans who value tradition above all else hate about us - it's the fact that we are altering the behavior (ie traditions) of the world so much.

It would be very easy to get rid of the McDonalds of the world - Just start serving higher quality fast food. I don't know why there's not a fast food joint that serves filet mignon steak sandwiches - I guess they're not healthy either ,but i'd still eat one a week.

What I really want to know is why the damn french fries at McDonalds in Amsterdam are only an inch long - not even long enough to dip in the tarter sauce without getting my hands in the sauce.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

First off, there are alot of good hearted respectful people here with good families. "The generally cocky & loud image" you are refering to is your bias from seeing too much media or coincidence of running into 1 specific person that might have given you that impression.
Second, voicing your opinion freely is part of "Being Free". Some might not understand this as they may reside in countries still bound by communism.

America is placed in a very difficult position as a world leader. Irregarless of what we do, there are going to be positives and negatives. Whether we go to war or we don't go to war specific groups around the world will complain. Times are not always perfect. One day roommates could be pissed at each other, the next day they can be back on good terms again. The problem is that everyone is so damn impatient with the middle east. They want to see immediate results. Give Iraq and Afghanistan 10-12 years and then see how successful these countries are. America's image has been temporarily tarnished by the Iraq war, however what can be broken can be mended. I applaud those nations that are having great success economically and gaining on the US, however be respectful as it is most likely that in some way shape or form, the US played a part in helping you get there.

Carburetor

[edit on 21-3-2005 by Mr Carburetor]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Wrong, you do care.

You care enough that we make money selling our brands to you, or those McDonalds would be out of buisness and not giving you your double quarter pounders with a large coke.

Your government cares enough about your economic and self defence benefits that you allow us to put bases up all over your country.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Do we need another anti-American thread?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
First up, this is a pharm thread to the core. Personal opinion on a nation ending with a question. Textbook example.

Secondly, you are out right wrong. The US is, and will be the worlds premier influence for many years to come. Regardless of what damage Dubya can do in 8 years to hurt it.

We all on these boards forget that money dictates politics. And the US spends more money than any nation on the planet. And thats all that counts. The US's citizens, its government, and its companies are the sole reason many nations in the world have any economy at all. And I dont care if you dont like this, but its the plain fact.

When, and I say WHEN, the USa replaces oil with a cheaper, renuable energy source, the entire middle east will dry up and become the third world regian it really is. The middle east LUCKED into wealth. They export nothing other than oil thats sufficient to support themselves.

The world needs the US and its buying power/habbits. Period. I think the world better remember this soon, before the US either takes what it wants from them, or replace the need all together.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by skippytjc]

This is way above patriotic! Goody post, skippytjc!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
"It would be very easy to get rid of the McDonalds of the world - Just start serving higher quality fast food. I don't know why there's not a fast food joint that serves filet mignon steak sandwiches - I guess they're not healthy either ,but i'd still eat one a week."

There is - just because it doesn't trade in your country you assume it doesn't exist. As a sign that McD's etc are suffering as a result of their American provenance (the subject of this thread) they just bought a 20% share.

Face it, the World now has much less love for US, your corporations and your products. The World will turn and there will be a reaction.

2012 the Eu's GDP will overtake that of the US - let the fun begin

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

There is - just because it doesn't trade in your country you assume it doesn't exist.

Well if there is a fast food chain that serves filet mignon sandwiches why don't you clue us in instead of beating around the bush. I never assumed anything doesn't exist because it's not in my country. I was just mentioning that I wish there was one that served filets near me - don't know where you come up with all the hate crap. FYI - this isn't the only country I've lived in or traveled too, so assume for yourself not for me.

What fun will begin when Eu's GDP overtakes the US's?

Are you going to dance around your one room shack when that happens and crack open a bottle of fortified wine to celebrate.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider

There is - just because it doesn't trade in your country you assume it doesn't exist.

Well if there is a fast food chain that serves filet mignon sandwiches why don't you clue us in instead of beating around the bush. I never assumed anything doesn't exist because it's not in my country. I was just mentioning that I wish there was one that served filets near me - don't know where you come up with all the hate crap. FYI - this isn't the only country I've lived in or traveled too, so assume for yourself not for me.

What fun will begin when Eu's GDP overtakes the US's?

Are you going to dance around your one room shack when that happens and crack open a bottle of fortified wine to celebrate.

It's called Pret A Manger

Here's the link

www.bbc.co.uk...

"don't know where you come up with all the hate crap" what hate crap?.

"What fun will begin when Eu's GDP overtakes the US's?" a real New World Order - you'll see

"Are you going to dance around your one room shack when that happens and crack open a bottle of fortified wine to celebrate" - Sorry is this an insult? If so please explain what on earth you mean.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

It's called Pret A Manger

Cool - thank you.

what hate crap?.
Just seemed like you had some anger there, but maybe I misinterpreted you. Language barrier you know-

a real New World Order - you'll see

Just not exactly sure what that means or why you're gloating about it? Are you in line to be one of the NWO leaders or do you believe the NWO will benefit you more than others?

"Are you going to dance around your one room shack when that happens and crack open a bottle of fortified wine to celebrate" - Sorry is this an insult? If so please explain what on earth you mean.

Yeah - I guess you didn't get it. Where I come from nobody but a loser would live in a one room shack & only indigent alcoholics drink fortified wine. Oh well - at least you gave a good response - so I take back the intent of the insult. Have a good day mate - cheers.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
On EU taking over of course we won't. Even if we could co-ordinate - which we can't - it's not our way.
Plus the small matter of being surrounded by US forces means we wouldn't get very far!
It's just a scare story to wind-up the septics (tanks) - maybe make some think what it would be like to be on the wrong end of an empire.

FWIW I think the long-predicted rise of the EU, and America's military expansion are not entirely unconnected. May explain Rummy's old/new Europe jibe too. We're becoming a threat but only economically

There's strong evidence of CIA funding to support the 'Yes' campaign that took UK into the EU. Reasons as to why vary.

Mentioned in the House of Lords

www.publications.parliament.uk...

Anti-Europe site has it as creating a huge market for the US

www.europeansinglecurrency.com...

Personally I think we're in there to ensure the French & Germans don't make too good a job of it - that seems to be most in-line with US's strategic interests.

On the one-room shack, yes got it but no sitting here in my town apartment spatting with ya before being driven to my country cottage in the old coach & four don't ya know.

BTW it's a bottle of fine Czech beer actually

<<   2  3 >>

join