It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nightwish Ghost Love Score and Floor Jansen's Extraordinary Vocals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Happy Friday, friends!!

A friend of mine who is my go-to source for metal shared this masterpiece with me today, and since art is meant to be shared, I thought I'd pass it on to any of you who haven't yet heard it yet (I'm pretty late to the Nightwish party--this song was recorded in 2013).

Any of you already familiar with Floor Jansen's work?

If you're not, get ready to be amazed!
She can hit effortless, ethereal operatic notes, but also has a really great voice for rock and metal.

I'll post an awesome reaction video to this song in a moment. For now, I hope you enjoy the music!

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Here's the reaction video I mentioned above, for anyone interested in the technical side of voice/singing, this is a great watch.
I really love the expressions on his face as he listens

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I once tried to listen to their LP because I like this 5th Element opera sound but
It's going nowhere like grandpa Simpson's stories. Annoying after an hour or so. It has no soul. Maybe you need to find a taste for it. To get lost in her dark The Lord of the Rings fantasy world...
Music is not what it used to be. People without an ear for music can produce hours long sets with a free software

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Not for you, then

But I can't agree with your position that this music lacks soul. By what measure can any one gauge soul?

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Not for you, then

But I can't agree with your position that this music lacks soul. By what measure can any one gauge soul?

The music is dark and haunting and fun.

Seems to match my soul pretty well!

Thanks for posting this because I've never heard of her before.

Her voice is really good.

I'ma go binge listen for a bit now...

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Ok, I've watched this dude's analysis and I actually agree. Her voice and all that..
It's goosbumpy and empty at the same time. Like sex with a prostitute. It works but there's no love. I'd cut it in the middle and played Riders On The Storm to soothe my ear. There's more energy in one song like "Paranoid" by Black Sabbbath than in hours of this. At least for me.
IDK man, maybe the band sucks, there's no defined melody to follow, the songs are similar

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

You'll get bored soon 😛

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ

You'll get bored soon 😛

Like with sex with a prostitute?

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: zosimov

Not for you, then

The music is dark and haunting and fun.

Seems to match my soul pretty well!

Thanks for posting this because I've never heard of her before.

Her voice is really good.

I'ma go binge listen for a bit now...

I've got the song on repeat for the time being. Seems like a good way to get ready for a good Friday night

Glad you enjoy!
(Also dark, haunting, fun stuff tends to appeal to me--especially when it comes to art)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Floorgasm!

Her addition to Nightwish was amazing. Before her, that genre was not really my cup of tea. More a thrash guy.

Their live performances are so tight it's hard to believe it's not a studio recording.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Better late than never. Good stuff!

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

Their live performances are so tight it's hard to believe it's not a studio recording.

That’s because it is for the most part. Lol
I don’t see an orchestra on that stage playing all the string parts. Or a flutist.

I agree with papas assessment above. Great voice if it’s really live, but... it’s very Hollywood soulish. When the lights went out I thought Fabio was going to walk out donning battle gear.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:29 AM
link   
As a finnish Floor is good but i did like Tarja better her voice is cleaner.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

When the lights went out I thought Fabio was going to walk out donning battle gear.

Sounds a little Freudian to me but who am I to judge?

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Nightwish has never done much for me, dunno why.. Maybe the cadence of the delivery thats normal for them? Ive never really bought into music "not having a soul." Might be applicable in some instances, but for the most part, its just interchangeable with "dislike."

Ive heard the same thing about metal vs blues for years when it comes to guitar. I think its more likely that some just cant see how that soul(s) is baring itself.

I do tend to enjoy clean female vocals in metal though. Generally prefer bands like Echo of Dalriada, Haggard (despite their recording quality..), and I suppose could even add a band like Unleash the Archers in there. Ive basically had Mechina's "Progenitor" on every playlist Ive made since its release. Even have a very early album attempt from Evanescence that I enjoy greatly. Once the same songs hit a full industry release though, I feel something was lost. As far as I can tell, the recordings I have are pretty rare.

I enjoy both technical perfection as well as imperfection. Different type of music, but "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and its the epitome of "imperfect" lol

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

I enjoy both technical perfection as well as imperfection. Different type of music, but "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and its the epitome of "imperfect" lol

Woah, that's one cool and intense album. Those lyrics sure get one thinking, and the exuberance/enthusiasm is better unpolished

Thematically it reminds me of Iron and Wine's Our Endless Numbered Days. (Musically, it's in many ways a foil to "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"!
) Are you familiar with that one?

Have a good one!
edit on 29-11-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I had to refamiliarize myself with it! Its in my collection, but I didnt remember it at all

I think that period (around the turn of the century) really had a hay day with the darker folk music. As opposed to something like bluegrass, which is obviously the technical death metal of the acoustic world (
), it tends to be more raw across the board and also tends to be more melancholic and bittersweet.

The qualities of the vocals are pretty similar too.

16 Horsepower's "Folklore" and Wovenhand's "Blush Music" are right in the same vein too. Im not nearly as involved in the music scene as I used to be, so there could be a thriving scene today, but I think thats the era to really explore for this type of music (darker, raw indie/folk). ETA: Theres some newer stuff too, naturally, like emptyself's "Nothing Follows, Nothing Stays," but it seems more prevalent going a bit further back.
edit on 29-11-2020 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Ha, cool, looks like you may have heard some of the similarities that made me associate the two. Then I went and revisited Iron and Wine also and realized as far as polish and harmony, it's almost opposite.

You're right that the late 90's and early 2000 was the time for great dark indie folk!
That country goth 16 horsepower sound probably started right here in our home town too. One of my college friends was in a really interesting country goth band called Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd heard of them as well--sounds like you're familiar with a lot of music.

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ

You'll get bored soon 😛

Like with sex with a prostitute?

From what I've heard.
Btw I came back to play it again. 🙂It has to be the winter moods swings caused by lack of daylight

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   

The production and professionalism on the Iron and Wine album is definitely up there. Quite a juxtaposition to Neutral Milk Hotel, yet they offer a very similar experience. How interesting is that?

I dont know if Ive heard Munly & the Lee Lewis Harlots before, but its excellent music. Then again, Ive been known to ask friends what music they are listening to.. Only to find out its a CD I let them borrow

Me: "Hey, this is pretty good! Who is this?!"
Them: "Its your CD bro...."

Ah well, there is such a thing as listening to too much music. The limit is waay up there though.

To get the thread a bit back on track (heh), here is one from Echo of Dalriada:

First song after the intro and Teli Enek are real standouts imo

And one mixing a lot of the elements throughout this thread (folksy, metal-ish, some rawness, harmonies, dark, intensity & dynamics). Top 10 album for me too:

Hope your week is off to a good start

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join