It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China, Russia to 'Rehearse invasion of Taiwan'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
www.drudgereport.com...

MOSCOW, March 17. MOSCOW, March 17. (RIA Novosti)-Yesterday, Chief of the Russian General Staff Yury Baluyevsky left for China to settle a scandal over the first Russian-Chinese military exercise, Commonwealth-2005, which is due to be held this fall off the Yellow Sea coast, writes Kommersant.

Russia's agreement to hold the exercise will inevitably cause a furor in America, Japan and Taiwan. But a refusal will spoil relations with China, which three months ago courteously agreed to Russia's proposal to hold an exercise.

This is getting bigger all the time. What if this is not a manuver and all of a sudden they invade Taiwan? Give the world the finger like we did with Iraq and then go 'take what is theirs' to them.

The initial plans were to practice operational teamwork in combating terrorism during the exercise. However, Beijing, skillfully changing the format of the exercise, has tried to re-orient the two countries' armies to practicing an invasion of Taiwan.

They have now changed plans to "practice an invasion" of tiawan. I just do not understand why this is not getting more attention from the media. Is there something that our government is not telling us?

Russia's agreement to hold the exercise will inevitably cause a furor in America, Japan and Taiwan. But a refusal will spoil relations with China, which three months ago courteously agreed to Russia's proposal to hold an exercise.

and it seems that Russia has chosen it's side for a New Cold war.. are more Carriers head to the Far east?

[edit on 17-3-2005 by esdad71]

[edit on 17-3-2005 by asala]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is actually not the first joint military exercise by the two nations. The local media here in China was quietly reporting Chinese-Russian infantry exercises last year. This is the first time it's been reported to the rest of the world.

Russian complicity in an invasion of Taiwan would be pure madness considering that the U.S is obliged to protect Taiwan in the event of aggression from the mainland. Actually Russia and China do not have brilliant relations and there are still some border territories that are contested. Nope, this is just war games I feel. No need for alarm bells yet.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
However, aren't they both providing technical assistance and parts for reactors in Iran. I remember reading that this would be a sore spot with an invasion by America.

They are also working with each other for energy

www.mosnews.com...

China and Russia have agreed to strengthen energy cooperation, including boosting oil exports from Russia to China by rail, the Reuters news agency quoted Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao as saying on Monday.

weapons and technology

www.atimes.com...

More significantly, Moscow is working diligently to strengthen its ties with Iran, Syria and China - countries that Washington considers to be adversaries. In addition to supplying Tehran with dual use nuclear technology, Russia is also selling Iran a broad array of conventional military equipment. Many believe that Moscow is also supplying Tehran with missile technology and equipment.

and the world oil market

In 2005 Russia is likely to surpass Saudi Arabia as the world's largest oil exporter. This, combined with continued contraction of global oil stocks, gives Moscow enormous leverage over international oil prices. Russia could easily push the price of crude oil above US$100 per barrel by reducing oil production. No other oil-producing country, including Saudi Arabia, has sufficient spare production capacity to counter a production cut by Russia.

These are not pawns, but the knights and rooks that can overtake a King. I am not paranoid, and am mot worried of a Red Dawn scenario in America. but the Far East is going to get real interesting durinrg these manuvers. I wonder how many subs we will have there...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
what the hell is drudgereport.com

somewhat i dont see it as a credible source

I have never heard that the exercise will be a practice of the invasion of taiwan...

China is not interested in a war across the straight as clearly seen from the wording of the anti-secession law

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Russia would be insane to get involved in the Taiwan situation. And wecomeinpeace is right, they've never really gotten along that well with China, even during the Soviet era.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
China also recently also signed a massive oil deal with Iran to guarantee its energy supply for the next 20 years. China, with her too-fast-growing economy has a lot invested in Iran. All that growth and new infrastructure needs energy or it collapses.

Classic example of Mandarin diplomacy here. Russia asks for a joint military exercise and China appears to reluctantly agree out of politeness, then suddenly changes the conditions when it's too late to back out. Russia was trapped and now China will be shouting from the rofftops how Russia supports China's stance on Taiwan and may even assist to stave off U.S aggression. Kinda funny actually.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
well, oil is important... US fights wars for oil because US can beat the crap out of people

well China can't do that so China signs contracts

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
err double post...

[edit on 17-3-2005 by white_raven0]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
white_raven0, I'm curious. How much does the CCP pay you to troll your way around ATS? Do they pay you in RMB or $US?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
You are correct in stating that in the past there has been tension, but I provided the extra links to attempt to show the change over the last few years. No one thought that the Berlin wall would crumble, or the cold war would end.

They (China and Russia) have deals with Syria, Iran and they want Tiawan. All 3 of these places are on our radar, I think it is just a matter of time. If the middle east exploded, it would give them tactical advantage to invade. If we attempt to fight on 2 fronts I do not feel we could win without a nuclear option just like WW2.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
They (China and Russia) have deals with Syria, Iran and they want Tiawan. All 3 of these places are on our radar.

I'm not saying your thoughts are completely wrong, and a Sino-Russian alliance for mutual gain cannot be ruled out 100%, but Russia has absolutely no monetary or strategic gain to be made by assisting China in an invasion of Taiwan. They also have no historical reason to do so either.

China may well take advantage of an otherwise distracted U.S to attack Taiwan, but Russia wouldn't have a bar of it. They simply have no good reason. In fact, they have every reason to stay out of it. Pointing out Russian and Chinese common interests in the Middle-East doesn't then prove Russia's willingness to get involved in a pointless and potentially disastrous war. I can't see it happening, but you never know. Like you said, no one thought the wall would crumble, or that America would be attacked on her own soil.

TPL

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't think Russia and China will invade Taiwan, at least in the foreseeable future. As long as Taiwan doesn't say officially that it is independent then the situation will probably remain as it has done for years. Even if it did declare itself independent i doubt China would invade.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
huh? I am a somewhat conservative American who likes Bush and O'reilly

national reputation has been based on who can beat others up for centries

he who desires peace prepares for war is the motto that every great empire has had to follow

why does America enjoy the greatest national strength and reputation in the world today? Because we can kill a whole lot more other people than they can kill us! As evidently shown by our countless victories in history.

The same goes for Britain, Germany, Russia, and all all other Western powers.

The world is changing a bit right now with the spread of democracy and the idea of compromise. However, we are not there yet and it is still true today tha the country that can beat other people the hardest is the most powerful! And that's the US today.

China lost her reputation in the 19th century because she got beat up pretty badly. China still cant really beat anyone up yet.

The world is trying to change, and become more peaceful, however, human nature is going to be very hard to change (the caveman who can beat others gets the best woman to mate!).

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
sorry double post

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
They are insane. No way I'm going to get involved in a war over Asia. Didn't we learn anything in Korea and Vietnam?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
uh we didnt start the korean war reddragon and why abandon an ally, that is just cowardice and would make us look weak, china would go on an expansion quest thinking we would back off everytime.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Ran across the below linked article and figured it would be of interest to this topic, being both are dated the same?

So while the Chinese and Russians discuss the "rehearse" of the "invasion of Taiwan," the US and Pentagon are doing this with/in Taiwan:
Pentagon delegation arrives in Taipei for talks with military

seekerof

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
uh we didnt start the korean war reddragon and why abandon an ally, that is just cowardice and would make us look weak, china would go on an expansion quest thinking we would back off everytime.

Actually, Taiwan only became an ally (again) of the US after the Korean war. The US has abandoned the Nationalists before, and the US will abandon Taiwan again if it is in the US' national interest.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Nobody wants an armed conflict with China. They are nuclear power and largest country by population in the world. They cannot be defited by conventional means. There are just too many of them. There are also many millions of chinese emigrants in many countrys all over the world. Scary thought if they all become potential "terrorists".

BTW the taiwan conflict escalated because taiwan government started to talk loudly about succesion from mainland ergo Chinese antisuccesion law.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek
Nobody wants an armed conflict with China. They are nuclear power and largest country by population in the world. They cannot be defited by conventional means. There are just too many of them. There are also many millions of chinese emigrants in many countrys all over the world. Scary thought if they all become potential "terrorists".

BTW the taiwan conflict escalated because taiwan government started to talk loudly about succesion from mainland ergo Chinese antisuccesion law.

A lot of people are saying that if China invades Taiwan, we'll have to invade the mainland and go head to head with them. Not true. If China does invade Taiwan, America will only defend Taiwan. In other words, we won't touch the mainland but attack forces inside Taiwan or headed for Taiwan. It would be a defensive campaign coupled with an offensive one to liberate Taiwan, but no, there would be no invasion of China.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join