It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright flash lights up dark skies over parts of eastern US, including Ohio.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Anybody know what this could of been? My family and I grew up in a very rural part of eastern Ohio; my mom is still there. The article has her a bit shook up. It's very dark and creepy at night. I for one do not think it was a UFO, which is why I posted this in 'Fragile Earth'... but who knows... I guess she saw it and it scared the 'hella-ba-jesus' out of her. I told her I would post and ask for her. Sorry if the article is short, it's the only one and it's from our small town local station.

www.wkbn.com...

PITTSBURGH (AP) – A bright flash lit up the skies over parts of Pennsylvania and Ohio in the wee hours, and officials aren’t yet sure what it was.

Many social media users around the Pittsburgh area reported seeing a streaking fireball that might have been a meteor shortly after 4 a.m. Wednesday.

It remained in the skies for a short time before disappearing from view.

A security camera in New Lyme, Ohio, northwest of Pittsburgh, captured a brief, bright flash partially obscured by clouds around 4:20 a.m.

The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh said it was aware of the reports but had no information.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Wife and I live in Idaho. back when NEOWISE was visible to us we took out the telescope, during our time outside watching the comet a HUGE bright light appeared, not once but twice, we have no idea what in the heck it was and we also noticed a lot more of odd activity in the sky that night...
edit on 1-10-2020 by SlapTheGinkels because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Looks like a meteor to me, a good one too!

Nice catch,

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Ok guys. It literally JUST happened AGAIN. The article was a few days ago but this literally just happened live right now. It took me a min to figire out how to post a pic. My mom just called me petrified. Any ideas?

i.ibb.co...

[img=https://i.ibb.co/f8Tf85v/Screenshot-20201001-025003.png]Mom Screenshot. Live. 2:40am PST Oct 1st.[/img]

She is located on the PA border. Zip code 44442.

Can somebody please embedd my moms screenshot. I can't figure out how to.

I keep telling her its just a meteor, but she insists it was too 'pattern' like... and tonight makes two nights in a row!! same time, same point in the sky, with multiple flashes. It's not a streaking pattern she insists. They are flashes.

edit on 1-10-2020 by Pavlik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Pavlik

Pretty much all modern recordings of night sky being lit up are meteorite detonations/streaks in the atmosphere. However, ballistic missile interceptions over Damascus and saudi Arabia in recent years have also demonstrated this effect, albeit to a lesser degree.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 05:20 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 05:24 AM
link   
How would I check to see if the military is operating any kind of training/drills??

Wurtsmith Air Force Base and JOLIET Army Ammunition are exactly NW, and in the direction she is seeing.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 05:33 AM
link   
@Gothmog

Thank you so much for the link. I just want to calm her down with a rational explanation. It's 3:3am. She's freaking me out. We have NEVER had UFO sightings before, and living in no light pollution we BOTH together have seen countless meteors and space debris burn up all the time.

I don't understand why she would be so startled by the norm? I have a hunch they are doing military drills.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   
First i thought that 4:20 is the reason but uh... a second one now?

A security camera in New Lyme, Ohio, northwest of Pittsburgh, captured a brief, bright flash partially obscured by clouds around 4:20 a.m.

I don't know. But there are a bunch of people who know about these things on ATS. I embedded the YT video you posted.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pavlik

Can somebody please embedd my moms screenshot. I can't figure out how to.

Okay.

Whoops, there is a bad word... Mods delete this if needed, i just tried to do a favor here.
edit on 1-10-2020 by MapOfNowhere because: F-word

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

@Gothmog

Thank you so much for the link. I just want to calm her down with a rational explanation. It's 3:3am. She's freaking me out. We have NEVER had UFO sightings before, and living in no light pollution we BOTH together have seen countless meteors and space debris burn up all the time.

I don't understand why she would be so startled by the norm? I have a hunch they are doing military drills.

It's a meteor.
edit on 10/1/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   
the Earth is caught up in a debris field in space...

the 24 hour interval is strictly coincidence as the orbital path in 24 hours moved some hundreds-of-thousands of miles from our place in space since the initial Bolide flash the night before

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Pavlik

That's right in my neck of the woods, I was up until about 2 am, but apparently it happened around 4 am. Looks like a classic meteor to me from the pics.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I agree with the others, it looks like a simple meteor burning up, that's all. Two nights in a row at the same time is just a coincidence, not a conspiracy unless you want to blame the universe for spewing rocks all over the place. My grandmother would have been freaked out too, just tell her what it is and not to worry.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Anybody know what this could of been? My family and I grew up in a very rural part of eastern Ohio; my mom is still there. The article has her a bit shook up. It's very dark and creepy at night. I for one do not think it was a UFO, which is why I posted this in 'Fragile Earth'... but who knows... I guess she saw it and it scared the 'hella-ba-jesus' out of her. I told her I would post and ask for her. Sorry if the article is short, it's the only one and it's from our small town local station.

www.wkbn.com...

PITTSBURGH (AP) – A bright flash lit up the skies over parts of Pennsylvania and Ohio in the wee hours, and officials aren’t yet sure what it was.

Many social media users around the Pittsburgh area reported seeing a streaking fireball that might have been a meteor shortly after 4 a.m. Wednesday.

It remained in the skies for a short time before disappearing from view.

The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh said it was aware of the reports but had no information.

This might help,

You can compare your link content to mine as information for linking.
edit on 1-10-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   
All the video evidence points to a meteor (or two). Nothing strange about it.
I guess they could be considered "abnormal" to those who haven't witnessed them before.

Excellent find!

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm going to check my security cams.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

On the way to work between 6:10 & 6:23am saw a huge flash just like on your video driving north of Pgh. At first I thought distant lightening, but it also was colored like a distant electrical transformer blowing. It lit up a huge chunk of sky to the north of me. The flash was blue.

Storms do this as well they will roll in from the northwest, swing east or southeast so we can see them but not get them. The whole thing was unusual because I check the weather radar daily before leaving for work , it and the forecast for Wednesday was clear just cold-ish.

I'd of missed seeing it if the idiot driver ahead of me hadn't been doing 25mph in a 45 zone so I got stuck at a light. I only know the pretty much exact time cause I need to be at certain places in my commute "by" certain times or I'm screwed.

No one will probably care but we've had some weird weather/cloud things going on all summer into fall. Had a front come thru in August that's leading edge was a roll cloud, the sky was pitch black behind it to the point everyone had to turn on their headlights. It looked dire for getting from the parking lot into the building but blew over instead?
It was unusual enough that two kids were across the street sky-watching over a golf course on my commute.

That's something you don't see often.
Two teenage boys sky-watching, no phones in hand.
S&F

edit on 1-10-2020 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I was up and outside around 4:30 am but missed it. I heard about it later in the morning yesterday via local news. I been out most every night watching meteor showers for the last couple of weeks (saw some bright ones). Where I was, was partly cloudy and spotty showers periodically throughout the night. Many who were up going to work thought it might have been lightening. Thank goodness for Dash Cams. We're coming up on the Draconids that will peak in a week.

Was also out trying to see if we would get the Aurora Borealis which didn't come south enough.

www.wpxi.com...

Many social media users around the Pittsburgh area reported seeing a streaking fireball shortly after 4 a.m. It remained in the skies for a short time before disappearing from view.

A security camera at a property owned by Mark and Rosemary Sasala in New Lyme, Ohio, northwest of Pittsburgh, captured a brief, bright flash partially obscured by clouds around 4:20 a.m.

Edit:
Here's another Very Recent thread by member Kiliker30 about a meteor grazing the atmosphere.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's what member JimOberg contributed.
sattrackcam.blogspot.com...

Per link...

In the early morning of 22 September 2020, around 3:53:40 UT (5:53:40 local time), a very unusual long duration fireball appeared in the skies of NW Europe. It had a duration of over 20 seconds, and for several Dutch all-sky meteor camera's that captured it, it was a horizon-to-horizon event.

In this blog post, I provide a preliminary analysis of (mostly) Dutch camera records of this fireball. As it turns out, the meteoroid survived its brief passage through the upper atmosphere and came out unscathed at the other end!

edit on 1-10-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I believe we really are in some sort of debris field.

Here's one from southern Brazil in the wee early morning hours of today.

Skip to 21 seconds.

edit on 1-10-2020 by Blastoff because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join