It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share the best heavy guitar riff you like

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I am a huge fan of great crafted and even after putting them on loop not boring guitar riffs. I really would like to hear some stuff from you guys.

My contender would be not the best but one of the best of riffs which is the chorus of 1000 Times Good Bye from Megadeth.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: belkide

Huge subject to pick from but at the moment on the top of my head I would say that funeraloplis by electric wizard has a good slow lead in that just explodes like crazy. Very Black Sabbath, but full blast on a road trip on winding country roads it really hits that spot>

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Starting 6:29
edit on 20/8/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   

My all time favourite band and the song that got me hooked on rock/heavy metal.

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
AC/DC Back in Black. How bout some Primus My Name is Mud for some les claypool bass too. Used to listen to metallica black album, kill em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets.

Got into the punk scene a little with NOFX grunge with Nirvana. Rap with the wu tang clan, beastie boys ok getting away from guitar riffs lol but growing up in the 90s I was spoiled for choice on a lot of new bands and new sounds.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This track has several, amazing instrumental by Lamb Of God.

And just in case you feel youve seen it all before....
(I feel i should put some kind of warning here... youll probably wont feel normal for several hours after watching this, one of my daughters faves...)

edit on 21-8-2020 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Cream - Sunshine of your love

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen

Back In Black - AC/DC

Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Skip to 3:02.

But, really whole thing.

ETA: Best live metal performance ever. Hands down.
edit on 8212020 by Gnawledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
One of my favourite bands...

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I'm pleasantly surprised by the songs a lot of classic stuff thought it would all be heavy metal. Would post a video if I knew how.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Guys so nice to see a lot of contribution =) I just started to dig into them. Meanwhile another riff;

4:28

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

What a gem this IGORRR video+music

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: belkide
a reply to: Osirisvset

What a gem this IGORRR video+music

I know right? My daughter sent it to me and its so brutally unique, took me ten minutes afterwards to process what it was id just experienced!
Here's another from some Aussie guys that i used to know years ago, the guitarist gave me a copy of thier first EP on CD and it was a few months until i got around to playing it(testing an old CD player and i didnt want to risk one of my good albums).
Anyway it was some of the best music id heard in years, my ex and my daughter were both yelling out telling me to crank it lol!
Quite a Faith No More vibe but with their own unique twist. Awesome creative riffage, bloody hilarious buggers too!(mad Aussie humor lol).

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 04:46 AM
link   

edit on 21amFri, 21 Aug 2020 04:47:44 -0500k5478421000000 by darkwingduck because: (no reason given)

edit on 21amFri, 21 Aug 2020 04:50:51 -0500k5508421000000 by darkwingduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
How about this one?

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

I remember seeing these guys play out in the desert near slab city at a generator party many many years ago! Unreal performance incorporating the natural environment with that big, huge sound.

edit on 8/21/2020 by americanbuffalo1 because: unnecessary capitalization

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Perhaps....

Still floats my boat.
edit on 21-8-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   
For me the song Blackwater Park by Opeth has always and will always be my ideal representation of a heavy riff, chord, transition, whatever..

I can literally put this song on while on a meeting for work and start to headbang when everything kicks in. Which is pretty damn awesome considering how long its been out.

For the most part the studio version sounds the same but I have linked both the studio and a live version of the song below I will say the studio version is worth a listen especially if you have a good audio rig. Throughout the song stereo panning along with different background sounds and swirling bass during the end sequence just closes the song with the perfect ominous mood. In reading what Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree and a billion other things) said he was going for in the production of this part of the song he said something to the effect of he wanted to create the sound of a cold, desolate wind blowing through the song and the band managed to accomplish that via the bass player.

The best way to listen to this song is from the start so the various transitions can hit you but I realize that an almost 13 min heavy metal song with death vocals is not for everyone. The opening first 4:30 minutes or so including great examples of this but to get to the heaviest section jump to around the 5:00 mark which is a slow almost acoustic interlude and then comes in with this huge riff and pummels throughout the remaining time. Additional riffs, double bass drumming, swirling bass tones..This song will always work for me as it is this band in their prime IMO.

Studio Version

Live Version

top topics

<<   2 >>

join