It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystical ruined temple of Communism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

The graffiti with the snowy background really is beautiful, a work of post-apocalyptic or cyberpunk art. Those artists really get no credit except for the glorified celebrity "Banksy" types. He's very talented, not hating in the slightest.

It looks like an epic venue for MMA or underground fighting. Would make an awesome location for some movie scenes, post Soviet collapse and all. I'll bet the copper fetched a pretty penny in scrap during the depression.
edit on 19-8-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

that building is epic , look how amazing it looked brand new

still looks cool in decay

they should restore it to its former glory

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

I'd say it's a piece of history and art like it is. If they restored it, what purpose would it have? It wouldn't be used for anything important. It's too isolated to be a tourist attraction and not significant enough historically.

Plus the political rammifications. It wouldn't be as taboo as restoring a Nazi hall to its former glory but somewhere in that direction.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Manimal is right!
I am not as Wild as I used to be.
Blessings to You and Yours.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

With the end of communism in Bulgaria, the holy communist spirit left this place.

Great line, made me LOL.

I've noticed old bunkers from the world war and the Cold War are often torn up by looters, and, too often, used as latrines.

Cheers

Why do people have to crap on everything?

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel

originally posted by: sapien82

I'd say it's a piece of history and art like it is. If they restored it, what purpose would it have? It wouldn't be used for anything important. It's too isolated to be a tourist attraction and not significant enough historically.

Plus the political rammifications. It wouldn't be as taboo as restoring a Nazi hall to its former glory but somewhere in that direction.

There was a cultural movement/program in Nazi Germany that centered around the word "Thing". Part of it was open air theater-like structures at which ordinary Germans would sit on the stone steps while they were harangued by a Nazi functionary speaking from the center. One of those "Thing" structures is near Heidelberg, IIRC, near the famous Philosophenweg. It, too, has fallen into some disrepair, although not as badly as this location in Bulgaria. Time takes its toll, as do vandals and souvenir-seekers.

ETA: A photo of a "Thingplatz" can be seen at upload.wikimedia.org...

Cheers
edit on 19-8-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

In fairness,
there are many bunkers west of the Berlin Wall
including here in North America that have fallen
into #ehole disrepair.

Do you think the old walls of Montauk have not been
pissed on over the years. That is just one example.
It is a common truth worldwide.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

With the end of communism in Bulgaria, the holy communist spirit left this place.

Great line, made me LOL.

I've noticed old bunkers from the world war and the Cold War are often torn up by looters, and, too often, used as latrines.

Cheers

Why do people have to crap on everything?

In these cases, I think it is mostly laziness. Run into the ruins and use it as a latrine.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildmanimal
a reply to: butcherguy

In fairness,
there are many bunkers west of the Berlin Wall
including here in North America that have fallen
into #ehole disrepair.

Do you think the old walls of Montauk have not been
pissed on over the years. That is just one example.
It is a common truth worldwide.

I understand what you mean.
But...
If the the ruins weren't there, they would crap on the grass.
Just me thinking of what I would do vs what other people do.
Look at San Francisco, if you let them, people will crap on the streets in front of a store.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Perhaps Mad Max 2 settings

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Awesome building. I hadn't heard of this place before so thanks for the presentation!

I bet some of the local population must have had an illegal rave in there at some point over the years since the fall of USSR.
edit on 1982020 by Wide-Eyes because: Technoprisoners

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Interesting....they used this building as the base for one of the villains in a movie called Mechanic : Resurrection that came out in 2016. It had a deep underground bunker and a place for subs to pull in in the movie.

Side note....the movie was terrible. I watched it because the first one, Mechanic, was really great as a remake of the old Charles Bronson movie.

edit on 8/19/20 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Not surprising, even the U.S has plenty of not so mystical ruins of failed capitalism.

Always liked the Flying Saucer style of the building. Wish we still did more 'space age' architecture.

Cold War era was a crappy time, but we humans seemed to have a more futuristic vision of the world back then, even the commies.
edit on 19-8-2020 by AtomicKangaroo because: typosssssss

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Fascinating!

thanks for sharing OP

cue the Ozymandias theme

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Saw this structure on a show called Abandoned Engineering, it is a shame it fell into such ruin and would have made the perfect home for any would be Bond Villain (though they tend to like even higher homes on alpine mountains or deep under water bases) or just someone with a bit too much cash to splash around.

Although not high enough for all year round snow in winter those slopes would be perfect for recreational skiers as well so why not a hotel.

That said it is actually very ugly (debatable I was never one for modern art which I call artistic vandalism) and look's like a misplaced 1960's or 70's water tower.

Here is a water tower so you know were I am coming from.
www.ipernity.com...
Whenever we would drive past this when I was a child it would always evoke my imagination and it does look like a UFO at dusk and dawn if you have a good view of it.

That said this structure unlike the Water Tower which was a practical structure was about propaganda, it was perhaps a waste of national resources that would have been better spent upon the people themselves the only real lasting monument to there ancestors.

edit on 19-8-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Very interesting thank you

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I always really have loved before & afters like this. How both of them have their own beauty. And also why I've always wanted to visit the areas surrounding Chernobyl. Really post apocalyptically (and creepily) pretty. A friend of mine directed me to a site that had a bunch of before/after pics of abandoned resorts in the Poconos. This post made me think of them and how creepily alluring they were as well.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

what like restoring the reichstag for example ?

its just a building and a really beautiful one at that

couldnt it be used for a seed storage vault or something like that , its up a mountain and remote

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join