It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musk's Mysterious Neuralink Chip Could Make You Hear Things That Were Impossible to Hear Before

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Looking forward to it, just wanting to make sure there is a way to shut off/extract easily should the need come.

What I wouldn't give to see what 200 years from now looks like (assuming it isn't some post-apocalyptic hellscape anyhow)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: camain
a reply to: LookingAtMars

My question is can you turn it off on demand? Think of it this way, you now have super hearing. Congrats, now try to get 8 hours of sleep listening to your neighbor snore 3 houses down, the dog farting, the mouse eating something in the kitchen, and don't forget that clock in your office, and the slow drip of the sink..... ya if you can't turn it off, I for see it being hell.

Camain

I would think not only could you turn it off, but might be options to tune out also.
What a weird future if people could literally mute people irl

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
what I find interesting about this tech is it sounds very advanced to anything else I have heard of
What other things have they already developed?

Bro, we are already living in STTNG land with holodecks and all sorts...they (the frogmen from Zeton) are just releasing slowly to capitalize on every step.

At least, thats a pet theory of mine.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
It also raises the issue of the spoken and written word; We are already seeing a decline in the ability of people to write well. I think this will turn writing (and eventually speaking) into something that only those interested will pursue for pure enjoyment- it'll become a archaic "hobby". Again, I realize that is a scary thing to think.

With the cons come the pros though
Books being replaced with memory files and recorded experiences, etc. We evolve
scratching symbols to bring meaning to ideas is inefficient and in matters of expression rarely gives the full intent of the author. Sharing a vision from the deepest recesses of their creative brain however would be an incredible leap.

At the same time though, such forms of...art...would also remove interpretations that spur others creative vision built on what was initially thought of.

Lord of the Rings was a great book series. Many tried to associate it with various political ideas throughout the years, thinking that was what Tolken may have been trying to convey as a message. Lots of creative new ideas sprang from what is ultimately a misunderstanding of intent, so that would be gone.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

There are so many terrible things that could happen if most people have this chip implanted into their brain.

Yeah, like Musk tweeting his rubbish directly into your brain!!

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

what I find interesting about this tech is it sounds very advanced to anything else I have heard of

Bro, we are already living in STTNG land with holodecks and all sorts...they (the frogmen from Zeton) are just releasing slowly to capitalize on every step.

Not sure about the zeton thing but the rest rings true, but frogman?

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I have an issue with the term "mysterious chip"... To say that is like saying it has properties we humans can not understand, and I'm sure that isn't the case, so it gives it a kind of a Elixir properties from days of old, and we all know how those worked out...lol

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

There are always cons, and sometimes they overshadow the pros.

I get what you mean about things being lost. That was one of the thoughts I had when listening to Musk discuss this technology. It will only be the people that have a passion for the written word that will care about the texts and what happens to them.

There was another guest that Rogan had on about a year ago (I think it's this episode

He discusses how the current path we are on might well be just part of the process for humanity to evolve and expand "outward". Just like with Musk's ideas, it is unsettling, but listing to Nick Bostrom really gave me some measure of comfort and helps me not get panicky when I see the direction things are moving toward.

Like I said in my earlier post, I do think there will be a reset of sorts. I believe there has been technologically advanced civilizations prior. I could get into all the "whithertoos and whyfores", but I think that may be considered thread drift, so I'll spare you.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Not sure about the zeton thing but the rest rings true, but frogman?

Not ready to reveal the frogmen yet...some things we aren't prepared for.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

There are always cons, and sometimes they overshadow the pros.

I get what you mean about things being lost. That was one of the thoughts I had when listening to Musk discuss this technology. It will only be the people that have a passion for the written word that will care about the texts and what happens to them.

There was another guest that Rogan had on about a year ago (I think it's this episode

He discusses how the current path we are on might well be just part of the process for humanity to evolve and expand "outward". Just like with Musk's ideas, it is unsettling, but listing to Nick Bostrom really gave me some measure of comfort and helps me not get panicky when I see the direction things are moving toward.

Like I said in my earlier post, I do think there will be a reset of sorts. I believe there has been technologically advanced civilizations prior. I could get into all the "whithertoos and whyfores", but I think that may be considered thread drift, so I'll spare you.

Got Joe in the background now, thanks.
I welcome AI overall, but I would prefer it to be intergrated with us vs running autonomously.
As far as where we are at now and where we are going, based on some of the best guesses of todays scientists, futurologists, entrepreneurs, etc. I think its gonna be a wild ride and ultimately it will be a net positive for our species. I like the bigger picture view. Everything we do seems almost natural from the start, from our roots, to evolution, to now our personal guided evolution, etc. Eventually we will spread amongst the stars, then potentially galaxys (using a physics we simply don't know of yet to reach other galaxys), etc...filling the universe with consciousness...like a slow neural brain coming alive over vast timespans, and with that, we will need greater intelligence, longer lives, etc.

One could almost become spiritual when contemplating it. Seems we are becoming god...not any individual, but just conscious life expanding out and growing exponentially.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Actually there were a couple of happy endings.

Was this at a an Asian massage establishment?

They are known for their happy endings too.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: Jay-morris

You may be right. Hard to tell till you face that choice.

I know they wanted to put some cow or human bone in me for a surgery once.

I didn't let them do it, even though they sure tried to talk me into it.

i have titanium plates and screws in my hand, with out them i would have been crippled in my dominate hand.

before my operations to fix my shattered bones i couldnt use my fingers(obviously) and after just a few days of being 'handicapped' i was ready to let them do what ever they had to do to give me the use of my hand back.

i also had pins and a carbon fiber rod to set one of my fingers

WARNING MEDICAL PIC

i KNOW if i was paralyzed and this chip gave me ANY of my capacity back i would take it in a heart beat

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I like the way you look at it. I think we have to be positive and not flee from the future, because it's coming, like it or not.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I heard that it can stimulate your mind to any and all safe frequency's making you a drone bot for the government to make efforts to finalize the implementation of Net Neutrality so no one can ever be stopped?!

some of them frequency's will be so clearanced you wish you made first contact instead.

Forgot i wanted to say something but i had to laugh

Our minds can handle this but i dont think our minds should be stimulated by so many things you might forget who is driving.
edit on 4-8-2020 by SpunGCake because: addition

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Oh to stop your mind from being hacked you got to get a copy of you memory, most people already had tham hacked so we cant make a clone or other things government is worried about people living forever now, but you need your soul entangled as well to live forever. Heard they got a machine for that. If none of this helps they got an app for it?!

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I think we are crossing lines that we should not be crossing. How are you going to stop your brain from being hacked? Anything can and will be hacked.

Lol...I have an implant, not that one, but; mine IS hackable, sort of.

I have a cardiac implant, makes my heart work better, it has short range radio capabilities, so that my cardiologist can monitor my heart. I even have a cell connected device that allows my doctor access to the device for making adjustments, and checking on the settings and conditions (like expected battery life).

This device is nearly unhackable... Why? because it is "air gapped" most of the time (I'm too far away from it's cell interface), details for connecting are sort of 'classified' (at least confidential...again sort of). So actually hacking the device is massively difficult...then there is the question of 'why' it would be hacked in the first place.

As to the device in the OP...consider what is being claimed...this device could not be just a "brain" implant, that wouldn't work in many of the instances claimed. It won't be able to enhance any human capability beyond what your natural human sensors are capable...so hearing again? only IF you have the kind of nerve damage this device is designed for, same goes for everything else.

This device, if I understand it half correctly, will be an absolute BOON for those with the kinds of conditions it is designed to handle, it will probably NOT be any where near as hackable as as my cardiac device actually is.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Phage

Tell that to the para/quadriplegics you know. Tell that to the hearing impaired that you know.

That is how this will be sold to everyone.

Look at all the good it will do, they will say.

You don't care about people if you don't get an implant.

This is what is known as a Trojan Horse, and you are absolutely right to be skeptical.

Musk's father was a technocrat. He believed technology should be leveraged to do all manner of things, including controlling humanity.

I've seen Black Mirror. Im not stupid.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I would get implants like that without too much worry. I don't think that is anywhere near the same thing as a brain implant.

a reply to: Jimy718

then there is the question of 'why' it would be hacked in the first place.

It could be used to stop your heart.

Guess you missed that episode of Homeland.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

What else will it do besides stream music? Well with (free) streaming comes commercials. Mmmm. Advertisements... playing straight into your brain..

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I would get implants like that without too much worry. I don't think that is anywhere near the same thing as a brain implant.

a reply to: Jimy718

then there is the question of 'why' it would be hacked in the first place.

It could be used to stop your heart.

Guess you missed that episode of Homeland.

While that 'channel' could be used to eventually kill me; at first I just wouldn't feel very good. Loss of energy as my heart wasn't properly synchronized, then over a rather long and unpleasant period I would have a heart attack (again) and probably not recover. You will have expended several 10's of thousands of dollars offing one 73yo retired software engineer...great use of resources!!!

Truthfully, I don't put very much stock in fantasy technology as seen in today's Hollywood productions...most of is "impossible" with current tech. Seriously, I consider those kinds of productions "comedy"; and they NEVER fail to provide a good laugh. So, instead, I will rely on my education, and professional experience when deciding on what technology can, and can not, do.

I'm not sure I saw anything about "HOW" this device is powered. Seriously, just how does it get the electrical power it needs? My implant has a Lithium Ion battery in it (non rechargeable)...it is about 2 X 3 inches and half an inch thick. In about 8 years I will have to get the device replaced...another surgery.

So, with almost every technological channel blocked for this device; how is it supposed to work?

short story [
Way back in the 70's, a college of mine and I tried to "brainstorm" a way to help his daughter who had cerebral palsy. It was explained to us that the 'signals' in her nerves weren't of sufficient amplitude to make the muscles work properly. As a pair of young electrical engineers, we thought we might find a solution, and, we did...sort of.

The answer was to amplify the nerve signals, to us that was a simple answer; I mean, it would work for an electronic system, why not a Human? The problem wasn't so much in the interface between an amplifier and the nerve, it was finding enough electricity to actually power the device (they usually require more power than they deliver). We ended there! No way to get necessary power to operate the device; other than that, brilliant, very workable, almost easy to build technology (that power thing kills it).
]

Back to Elon's chip; I can see a path to solving the issues my friend and I had back in the 70's. We didn't have the level of technology then that we do today. It might be possible to build a "self-powered" device to amplify nervous system signals, but, it would never support any like near-field communications, and that would make the device un-hackable...it would be intrinsically "air gapped".

edit on 8-8-2020 by Jimy718 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join