It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can hand-saniter be psycho-active?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Here's my experience.

My hands get spritzed at the mall entrance. They get spritzed again at the shop. Ooh, I suddenly need the water closet. I get spritzed at the lift, and twice in the gents, and again going back into the shop. It's been barely 20 minutes.

Suddenly I feel tired. Like I want to collapse. My energy drink wasn't strong enough.

But then I think, you've been rubbing 70 per cent alcohol into your hands almost continuously.

I definitely feel different - although not in any way tipsy or pleasant.

Just enormously tired.

Like a major downer, I'd like to go back to bed.

Nevertheless, for the first time since lock-down, I've noticed it changed my mood and state of mind.
Although it's probably done it for a while.

What do other people think?

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

When I use a cart at the store I wipe down the handle with sanitizer and that's it. One time, just in case. But that's actually good practice anyway since a lot of people don't wash their hands after they pee or poop.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Not speaking of ingesting it obviously, but just used as directed.

Risk for Alcohol Poisoning Hand sanitizer poses a potential risk for alcohol poisoning, particularly for young children who are attracted to the fun scents and bright colors of many sanitizers. According to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a two-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer contains 62 percent ethyl alcohol, or the equivalent of four shots of vodka. At that concentration, even a small dose can be dangerous if ingested, leading to dizziness, slurred speech, headaches, and even brain damage or death in extreme cases.

safety.lovetoknow.com...

Not sure that includes external use, but the plot thickens.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

DMO is a skin penetration vector to deliver your original question. The next question is “would they do that at the mall to the general population”?

My paranoid thoughts are, yes, yes they would.

But between my paranoia and what that would do to you... Uh, not unless you are giving up state secrets or something!

Wide open spaces are depressing nowadays!!

Anyway, I don’t know what you experienced so don’t even know if my opinion matters!!

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

In addition, topically applied ethanol acts as a skin penetration enhancer and may facilitate the transdermal absorption of xenobiotics (e.g. carcinogenic contaminants in cosmetic formulations). Ethanol use is associated with skin irritation or contact dermatitis, especially in humans with an aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) deficiency.

After regular application of ethanol on the skin (e.g. in the form of hand disinfectants) relatively low but measurable blood concentrations of ethanol and its metabolite acetaldehyde may occur, which are, however, below acute toxic levels. Only in children, especially through lacerated skin, can percutaneous toxicity occur.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
What, you mean on top of it all, we're being drugged?

Quite possibly, but look on the bright side, it's probably just an unintended consequence.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Can I ask which energy drink you had.

Early today (Friday) I bought and drunk a large green monster. Within an hour I was exhausted. Had an early afternoon nap, woke about 5 and have been bouncing ever since.

I assumed it was the heat but now you’ve said that I don’t know. I didn’t apply sanitiser at all throughout the day.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The alcohol is partly absorbed through the skin. I have heard of people making it back into liquid and drinking it. Too much on your skin for too long should make you drunk. I have heard that it can also cause liver damage but that was many years ago.

I never use the stuff. I carry potassium permanganate solution. It is much cheeper and I have used less than a gram this year.

150 milligrams in 10 ml water gives you wound cleanser. Two drops of this wound cleanser per quart or liter and wait 20 minutes gives you sanitized drinking water. Two drops of this wound cleanser per ounce of water gives you sanitizer, cleaner and odor remover. It does stain some things brown.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: EverythingsWrong

Well today I had a "Score" and a sugar-free Red Bull at lunch (at a bit of loss considering our Alcohol ban).

And that was just before I walked the sanitizer gauntlet.

And then I was so tired.

edit on 24-7-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Although another feature of what I'll call "sanitizer intoxication" is that it doesn't last.

It knocks you for a few minutes, but one can recover.

In that sense it's like inhalants for the hands.
A short depressant "buzz" that wears off rapidly.

I'd guess it doesn't go through that whole liver filtration thing like when we drink alcohol, and get a more delayed effect.
edit on 25-7-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   

edit on 7 24 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

edit on 7 24 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
what gets on the skin gets in the body. Skin is permeable.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Not often, just our alcohol ban is in effect in South Africa, and without my wine, what must I drink with my pizza?

So of course I think, go for the next legally available drug, which is caffeine, but I also don't want all the extra sugar.

Thus I had one Red Bull zero in ... I think that might have been my first one.

edit on 24-7-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

Indeed, which makes one worry.

How much of this stuff is actually safe for the general public.

Oh wait, we are the guinea pigs - study in progress.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Yes, hand sanitizer can be metabolically active which can effect the brain. Alcohol is absorbed. We make enzymes to break down the alcohol and resulting aldehyde metabolites, but sometimes if you are constantly doing it it could overload the system and cause side effects. I would rather use soap and water to clean my hands, but am not afraid of occasionally using some hand sanitizer.

They were telling people to be doing hand sanitizer more than they should. I think that the skin is the biggest organ in the body, followed by the gut system. Some hand sanitizers have methyl in them, but the FDA is getting rid of those ones now because they were causing problems way worse than the ethanol ones were.

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Just considering, if it doesn't go through the liver detoxification thing, like drinking most alcohol, then there must also be an upper limit of toxification.

That is you could sanitize your hands one time too many.

Do we know this limit?

No spritz, and pile it on.

Don't fear the Reaper - well at least you went with clean hands.
Nurse Visser will be standing at the Pearly Gates with her ruler:
"Come I want to see those nails are clean, and the hands are germ-free!"

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yeah but it gets the icky coronavirus off your hands.
You got something better?

I was thinking moonshine fountains at the entrances and exits to the malls.
You know, like dipping, sipping pools.

Can we go now? Wait, dad's still having a sip.

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 01:50 AM
link   
That spritz thingie you use with your foot.

Pump it.

I Wanna Be Sedated.

The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated:

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Yes, the skin is the largest organ of the body. It is a two way 'membrane' if you will. It absorbs stuff in and is part of our elimination system in that it excretes toxins out (think BO....that tells you something is not right on the inside). It also produces its own protective barriers (your skin would be very dry and like leather if it didn't) and is constantly shedding the dead skin cells, it is constantly 'repairing' itself.
It's also a communication system to your nervous system, all those tiny nerve endings in it.

Most people use hand sanitiser incorrectly. They rub it in until it is dry. You should apply a coating of hand sanitiser and leave it to 'air dry', it takes less then a minute. Hand sanitiser then acts as a pair of surgical gloves. It will help kill any virus/bacteria on your skin but also act as a shield to anything that lands on your skin. It also absorbs that gel into your body over a period of time. Imagine if you will wearing surgical gloves into one shop, you've handled stuff. You should then remove those gloves and put on another set before entering another shop. Much like a Dr/dentist will between patients.

Recently I was visiting my son in a lovely rural area with lots of privately owned shops. I had to put sanitiser on my hands at each one. I couldn't wait to get home and give my hands a good wash with old fashioned soap and water. Now whether it was the excessive use of sanitiser in about an hour or plenty of fresh sea air that made me hit a tired spot shortly after my return to his home I don't know, but your post made me wonder. I think I will use surgical gloves and sanitise them in every shop and then dispose of them after next time.

Being a Clinical Aromatherapist, I prefer using a hydrosol infused with essential oils.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 04:35 AM
link   
It doesnt take much research

isopropyl alcohol and its metabolite, acetone, act as central nervous system (CNS) depressants.[30] Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, hypothermia, low blood pressure, shock, respiratory depression, and coma

You dont need it if you dont touch your eyes or nose. The skin is pretty good at stopping bugs. If it wasnt, gardening would be impossible. When you touch the soil or walk barefoot you have billions of bugs on you. Children build their immune system by tasting everything. You have billions of bugs inside of you especially if you eat non-sterilized food.

I'd say use ethanol or metal salts but even food grade alcohol, soaps etc will dissolve your lipids and kill the good bugs. Once there's a crack your skin is compromised. It's BS. My brother has eczema from these free sanitizers. People abuse it because it's free. I tried it once and indeed it's isopropyl alcohol and probably some other nasty chemical. If it was ethanol and some essential oil I'd abbuse such a toilet water too 🙂 I wanna make myself a batch as I speak but not because of the Chinese cold

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join