It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School starting...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yeah, the kids will probably be fine, but what if they become infected without any symptoms, go visit grandma and pass it to her?

Schools have always been a breeding ground for infections of all types of nasty sh!*.

It could be a death sentence for the elderly or otherwise compromised people when the kids come to visit.

edit on 20-7-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That's definitely one of my many concerns. I also don't want my kids conditioned to keep a 6 foot bubble from everyone, wearing a mask all day, plus my son has a heart condition.
I also have to assume that with everything teachers are worried about right now, public education might be a bit sub par.
Everything seems to be falling into place to stay home and educate my family (laid off last Friday as well), and luckily for me, a few of my friends have been doing this for a few years already and are ready to offer whatever advice/support I need.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Yes, the "New Normal" will be anything but "normal" ....I can't imagine any teacher wanting to go back to school.

But two working parents are going to have to make some tough decisions.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

We've had no cases still here, initially I pulled my kid out when the covid first showed it's ugly head, but he is back today after holidays and I'm happy for him to go.

I don't think I would be so comfotable sending him to school if i were in the U.S though.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

We've had no cases still here, initially I pulled my kid out when the covid first showed it's ugly head, but he is back today after holidays and I'm happy for him to go.

I don't think I would be so comfotable sending him to school if i were in the U.S though.

You are blessed!

When I was youngerI used to be an adjunct prof. at a small private Catholic college; dream job!! But now, Besides the kids, I can't imagine any teacher looking forward to this semester. When educating kids could be a death sentence; who needs that?
edit on 20-7-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

Another Whitmer executive order coming soon

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

I like what our district has decided to do. Give parents a choice.

They can send their children to school as there is plenty of evidence that it is safe. Lots of studies from Europe. Plus everyone in school, including the children will be required to wear a mask. There will be regular breaks for outside play where the children will be required to social distance and can remove their masks.

They can also choose NOT to send their children to school and enroll them in an online school. Which is great for parents who don't want to send their children to school.

This will allow for smaller classes and more social distancing as they are expecting nearly 50% of the parents to homeschool or online school.

I like this compromise that allows parents to decide, not the government or a bureaucracy.

Our district had parents fill out an online servery about going back to school, masks, etc. I think they are leaning this way as well, we will see.

There was space to write your thoughts in as well. Basically I said it depends on how things look come September. If it is making a comeback in our area, no effeing way. My wife and I both have vulnerable parents, and my mother lives with us part time. Not going to take the chance.

Not only that, our kids grades went way up with virtual learning. My wife was on top of the situation, and made sure they did the work and classes. I think they learn better like that.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Yeah, the kids will probably be fine, but what if they become infected without any symptoms, go visit grandma and pass it to her?

Schools have always been a breeding ground for infections of all types of nasty sh!*.

It could be a death sentence for the elderly or otherwise compromised people when the kids come to visit.

The way the school is going to do it, there will no be a huge chance of "getting it" at the school in our district.

EVERYONE will be required to wear masks at all time indoors.

Many parents won't send their children back and will do online making class sizes small enough to socially distance.

People who are compromised don't have to have the kids come and visit. All they have to do is say no to the parents and the parents should respect that. I will say no to my grandkids visiting once they go back to school for several months.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying

They can send their children to school as there is plenty of evidence that it is safe. Lots of studies from Europe. Plus everyone in school, including the children will be required to wear a mask. There will be regular breaks for outside play where the children will be required to social distance and can remove their masks.

They can also choose NOT to send their children to school and enroll them in an online school. Which is great for parents who don't want to send their children to school.

This will allow for smaller classes and more social distancing as they are expecting nearly 50% of the parents to homeschool or online school.

I like this compromise that allows parents to decide, not the government or a bureaucracy.

Our district had parents fill out an online servery about going back to school, masks, etc. I think they are leaning this way as well, we will see.

There was space to write your thoughts in as well. Basically I said it depends on how things look come September. If it is making a comeback in our area, no effeing way. My wife and I both have vulnerable parents, and my mother lives with us part time. Not going to take the chance.

Not only that, our kids grades went way up with virtual learning. My wife was on top of the situation, and made sure they did the work and classes. I think they learn better like that.

So if you lived in my school district you could do what you think is best for your family.

That is why I like what they are doing, allowing parents to choose.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I've asked a few teachers at his school how they feel about it all and they are quite positive, they're lovely people in a small country town, but I would Imagine if and when the disease arrives here attitudes may change, quickly.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

" With covid19 not showing any signs of slowing down ..."

Hello , you Lost Me Right there . Kids Need Schooling unless you are a Marxist Liberal Progressive Union Teacher Collecting a Pay Check without Actually Working Right Now and Think Otherwise ........

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying

So if you lived in my school district you could do what you think is best for your family.

That is why I like what they are doing, allowing parents to choose.

My brain must be gone. LOL That is why I responded to your post. I think that is great that they are giving the choice. That is how it should be done.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   
All my kids going to school August 24 . our family is not stricken with terror by operation hypochondriac .

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

One thing I can guarantee is that I'm not gonna let politics sway my choice one way or another.

I can't imagine using my kids as political pawns. We've all gone mad.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

One thing I can guarantee is that I'm not gonna let politics sway my choice one way or another.

I can't imagine using my kids as political pawns. We've all gone mad.

The sad part is the school kids are now pawns to be used by politicians.

www.businessinsider.com...

and yes, We've all gone mad. I need to keep my insanity under control if I want to keep my job, but it's not easy. I've found that gummy bears and Valium in combo makes it a little easier to fake sanity.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I work in a school k-12 and we just had a meeting yesterday. Most of the teachers aren't worried about themselves but a couple are. Some are worried about other close family members being contaminated by them as teachers are just as bad at spreading virus' as students, usually. They're very concerned about controlling the spread though and here are some of the things they discussed.

Temps will be taken upon getting on the bus. At the school, a quarantine area will be created so that if a child develops a fever or sickness during the day, they will be able to go there. All students 2nd grade and older will wear masks. Lunch hours are still up in the air. Eat in classroom, outside, staggered, assigned seating. It's all crazy. Teachers and office staff behind shielded desks. If they vacate the area, they must be masked. Parents in the past would tylenol their kids with a fever but now that's a big no-no.

One thing the school hasn't done is survey the parents to find out what the general census is on returning to school. I know in Sisseton SD, they were 25% no on returning their children to school. So a survey is being sent out as we speak. Parents will sign a contract stating they will take their children's temp before sending them out and not try to cover up any illness. They will also have only a week to respond and commit to either sending their children to school or doing online learning. Our school is a border school and children from 3 states attend it.

The school is undecided about all the sanitation. Clean the desks between classes????? Restrooms every hour??????? It's a whole new can of worms dealing with 'dealing with' this virus and it's containment. I'm extremely glad I work in the kitchen and our routine will be basically the same. Some timing will change but the job details will be constant.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
My family is looking into homeschooling.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I agree with you, social distancing, etc. will be a joke in a school full of kids. I hadn't thought about voluntarily homeschooling my kids this year, I guess that's an option. I hope they don't go back but I can see where it would be a real hardship for some people though. I am fortunate, I telework and my agency gives me plenty of administrative leave to do school work with the kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join