It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Police Chief resigns after Black Man shot

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Except this case, the taser, whatever it's lethality, had been deployed, didn't incapacitate either officer, the suspect turned to continue running and was shot two times in the back.

The officer it seems will get his day in court. That will be the resolution not our bickering back and forth.
edit on 16-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Formatting

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Gryphon66

If we defund the cops, who's going to enforce that?

I'm in favor of "defunding" most of government, LOL.

The reality is police departments will be with us.

Anything else is merely a narrative point on both political extremes.

You have this 100% right IMO.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Granby

In Georgia the taser is non lethal

I'm going to keep calling you out on this silliness every time you say it.

A taser in Georgia has the same lethality as a taser anywhere else. What some DA with a political agenda says does not make it fact. What some law says does not make it fact. Tasers can be lethal, and tasers are incapacitating. In this case, it could have provided easy access to a loaded handgun.

He was afraid for his life by a guy that was moving away from him?

Brooks was moving away from him. The taser barbs were moving toward him. Is it possible for a human being to change directions?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

i have seen it suggested but cant find a link for it right now (got like 94 tabs open) he had been paroled for covid reasons from earlier offenses and that he had stayed calm and collected up until the cuffs came out to send him back

www.rapsheetz.com... this is allegedly his rap sheet i think other members posted it waaaay earlier in the thread and what would have been the reason for him being out on parole (odd that none of the body camera footage brought this up though as it was a pretty long video) he seemed to have a very bad few years from 2013-2014 but also had some trouble in 01 and 03

OFFENSE: simple battery CONVICTION COUNTY: CLAYTON COUNTY CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/31/2014 SENTENCE LENGTH: 0 YEARS, 12 MONTHS, 0 DAYS
CASE NO: 794205 OFFENSE: cruelty to children CONVICTION COUNTY: CLAYTON COUNTY CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/31/2014 SENTENCE LENGTH: 0 YEARS, 12 MONTHS, 0 DAYS
CASE NO: 794205 OFFENSE: FALSE IMPRISONMENT CONVICTION COUNTY: CLAYTON COUNTY CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/31/2014 SENTENCE LENGTH: 7 YEARS, 0 MONTHS, 0 DAYS
CASE NO: 794205 OFFENSE: family violence battery CONVICTION COUNTY: CLAYTON COUNTY CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/31/2014 SENTENCE LENGTH: 0 YEARS, 12 MONTHS, 0 DAYS
CASE NO: 794205 OFFENSE: THEFT BY REC STOLEN PROP CONVICTION COUNTY: CLAYTON COUNTY CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/02/2013 SENTENCE LENGTH: 7 YEARS, 0 MONTHS, 0 DAYS
CASE NO: 794205 OFFENSE: CRMNL INTERFERE GOVT PROP CONVICTION COUNTY: CLAYTON COUNTY CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/02/2013 SENTENCE LENGTH: 5 YEARS, 0 MONTHS, 0 DAYS
CASE NO: 794205 OFFENSE: obstr of law enf officer CONVICTION COUNTY: CLAYTON COUNTY CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/02/2013 SENTENCE LENGTH: 0 YEARS, 12 MONTHS, 0 DAYS

so he had a variety of charges some mostly low level but a few for violence and while his dui was not likely to be a felony thus risking catching 3rd strike depending on how his plea deals went ,going and attacking the officers (resisting arrest) and taking their taser could have put him over the threshold and may help explain in context to his drunken state why he really didnt wanna go back to jail that night despite being mostly polite and civil for a drunk individual that the full video shows couldnt find data from georgia state parole board website but im not exactly smart with those websites

www.yc.news... ah per this it was probation not parole but they have two video interviews with Rayshard first one is 47 seconds and the second is 33 is the one where he says he was waiting on probation to go back to work apparently

twitter.com... direct twitter link to both videos which by his own admission he was on probation which i think should at least explain his reaction when the cuffs came out

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Oh no.

It looks like Georgia classifies the possession of a taser the same as the possession of a firearm when a person is committing a crime against another person.

Oh no. Oh no.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
www.cnn.com... well this sheriff seems to think the cops will walk and that the use of force is justified

But Burke County Sheriff Alfonzo Williams said Rolfe's actions were "completely justified." "We saw in the video that Brooks is engaged in a fight with the officers," said Williams, whose county is about 160 miles east of Atlanta. "Brooks is able to take a non-lethal weapon, a Taser, away from one of the officers, and he flees," Williams said Tuesday. "Brooks turned back to the officers and fired the Taser."
so per this officer completely justified and he goes on to discuss the risk to the officers of being hit by the taser

Footage shows the deployed Taser apparently missed the officers. Williams said Brooks' use of the device was extremely dangerous because it could have immobilized the officer for several seconds, possibly allowing Brooks to steal the officer's gun or seriously injure him. "If an officer is hit with that Taser, all of his muscles will be locked up, and he'll have the inability to move and to respond," Williams said. "This was a completely justified shooting."
so id imagine that would be pretty crucial to the officers defense at trial or use of force review ,and oddly is what a good deal of members have echoed in this now 30 page thread

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Now, now, you know bringing in actual legal statutes into this discussion is heresy. For shame!

I wonder how many people are aware that a 9mm is "non-lethal" if a person is hit properly? It is highly unlikely that someone shot in, say, the foot with a 9mm will die if they are given prompt first aid and medical treatment.

"Lethal" and "non-lethal" are not legal terms. They have standard definitions. "Lethal" means "capable of causing death." "Non-lethal" means "not capable of causing death." Some idiotic DA does not determine whether a device can cause death; the device and the person it is used about and the circumstances under which it is used determine that.

Now, maybe one could not classify my .444 Marlin as "non-lethal"; shoot someone in the foot with that cannon and their lower leg is hamburger. But the sidearms that a cop carries? Sure... so what is then the problem with the cop using a "non-lethal" device on Brooks? Not their fault he didn't get hit in the foot.

(Yes, that is a very fallacious argument, but it does sort of mirror the arguments so far in this thread.)

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:16 AM
link   
popculture.com... 911 call released seemed innocent enough but refrences his highly intoxicated state

"I tried to wake him up, but he's parked in the middle of the drive-thru, so I don't know what's wrong," the woman said, as heard in audio obtained by CNN. The 911 operator could later be heard asking if the man inside the can was breathing or if he had any weapons. "No, no," the caller said. "I think he's intoxicated."

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   

FBI Expanded Homicide Table 3

This is from 2016 the same year as the CDC data.

Murder by Race

White 3499, Race of Offender, White 2854, Black 533
Black 2870, Race of Offender White 243, Black 2570

White on White Murder Rate 81.6%
Black on Black Murder Rate 89.5%

What does this tell us?

Most people commit murder within their own racial group,

It also demonstrates that two to one is the number of Blacks killing whites over Whites Killing Blacks too.

That is because of the Leftist media IMO constantly lying and blaming "Racist White People".... While ignoring the Racist Farakhan's and Not So Sharpton's...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin
A guy who has done nothing but have a sleep in his car is harassed by two cops. He manages to run away but they shoot him in the back killing him.

I would call that murder.

But I don't live in USA . Cops here in Scotland do not carry guns so very few people wind up dead. We do have loads of drunks though.

Oh so being drunk in a car in a driving lane is acceptable in your neighborhood?

Strangely, I doubt this.

The real issue is RESISTING ARREST.

Agreed?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
Question: in the homicide rates you guys are throwing around, what is the make up % wise of White, black, Latinos,...etc in the US?

My reason for asking is Say that if only 13% of the total population is black and they have a number of homicides that is close to or equal to that of the 87% of the population, then there is a huge problem in that 13% of the community especially if its black on black homicide.

BINGO, we have BINGO!

Mic drop....

clang reverb (ouch!)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Edumakated

It is taught. It is kind of a form of PTSD.

You have to remember that police were in fact unfairly targeting and beating the sh*t out of black folks on the regular barely two generations ago.

That is something I have suspected for a long time, but a suspicion is far less reliable than the opinion of someone in that culture. Thank you for explaining that.

My question to you then becomes, what can we do about it? What can I do about it? How do we fix it? How do we get from where we are now to where we want to be?

TheRedneck

Certainly the blacks were beaten for simple things like wanting to sit at a lunch counter like other Americans. I cannot blame them either. I am dissapointed in the treatment of those fine Americans who just want to be treated fairly. The Dem's are pushing for more than fairly because they have been the biggest abusers of the Black Community, period end of statement.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   
You need to give it a rest, you are just plain wrong on this.

I can see a lot of your posts are just plain wrong on this topic.

Move along if you can't deal in facts that are true, please.

You contribution did help me see how clearly you are wrong on this.

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Gryphon66

If white homicides were committed at the same rate based on population as blacks, then the white murder rate would be about 17,495.

You like to make up hypothetical numbers. I gave you real numbers. You don't want to deal with those because your claims are not supported.

I don't think you mean murder rate. That's a number between 1 and 100.

Again, you're conflating number of murders with the number of arrests and convictions. Blacks are targeted by police and trampled by the legal system.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: TheRedneck

We saw it in my cousin. Post divorce, my aunt raised he and his younger sister as a single mother. He went through some rough years in his teens. I think the only thing that really pulled him through was that he had our grandfather, the stiff-necked WWII vet, and my own father around in the family providing peripheral family support and male role-modeling.

He's a settled family man now, but it was shaky for a while.

My parents were divorced and my Dad was always in my life. He married my mother again when I was about 9. By then I had two 1/2 siblings from another marriage. The man and his family beat me and pulled my ears, smashed me in the snow at FOUR YEARS old and we moved back to Grandma's. I am probably PTSD over this and my Dad was there for me even when Grandma hated him for divorcing my Mom. Long story short Dad was there for all of his and her kids every day. Even when he wasn't married to my Mom. And he believed in corporal punishment with emphasis on not beating hell out of the kids. "It is the certainty of punishment not the severity" he still says.

I wore out my teachers with ADD or whatever but my grades, inspired by my Dad, were outstanding and I was offered scholarships to the Academy and a few 1/2 scholly's to Colleges like Emory and S. Florida to name two, Dad said no to the Col that came to my house as I was 16 when they started offering me. ROTC ended up my future anyway but I stayed enlisted after graduation for personal reasons and became a full time civilian.

edit on 17-6-2020 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Kudos on this line of thinking I take back my you are completely wrong statement then.

Peace.

All factors being even ... would you have an estimate of "lethality" of the taser?

I mean ... orders of magnitude ... 1%, 10% 50%?

I know there's a lot of variables, I guess a good question would be under what circumstances is taser use lethal.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Granby

ok man
obviously your mind is made up

dude switched from the taser to the pistol and shot a man in the back

facts

Facts are the Police have a RIGHT to their OWN self defense. Clearly, you don't feel that way. Please, don't call the po po when you think you should because you will get mad at them for protecting you from the thugs.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
If you can get aggravated assault charges for using it the claim of "NON LETHAL" is proven moot. Tasers can and have killed.

Google it and find out for yourself. We have given you LOTS of proof they have been deemed dangerous and potentially deadly even if only 1% it is potentially deadly, right?

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Tasers are non-lethal. Anything can kill someone on rare occasion. I'd say a taser will typically only kill when you have a condition that makes it lethal.

Of course, for the purposes of the public and whatnot, that doesn't mean they should be used frequently. Policing is still a customer service job, even if no one sees it that way.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I would disagree with no affect on the officer shot. I saw him get hit but it probably hit the protective gear. He had a split second to decide at that point, right?

a reply to: Justoneman

Except this case, the taser, whatever it's lethality, had been deployed, didn't incapacitate either officer, the suspect turned to continue running and was shot two times in the back.

The officer it seems will get his day in court. That will be the resolution not our bickering back and forth.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

ok man

facts

Facts are the Police have a RIGHT to their OWN self defense. Clearly, you don't feel that way. Please, don't call the po po when you think you should because you will get mad at them for protecting you from the thugs.

Self defense does not have to mean killing someone.
Thats a fact for you

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

ok man

facts

Self defense does not have to mean killing someone.
Thats a fact for you

Correct, but includes the right to do so when needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32 >>

join