It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Eid ul Fitr 2020!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Wow, this site is a whole lot less active than it used to be a couple years ago. My last thread is still not even half-way down the page.

Either way, today is the last day of Ramadan, the month of fasting that Muslims around the world participate in.
And at the end of Ramadan, there is the Eid-ul-Fitr (literally "Feast of the Fast Breaking"), celebrating the completion of the month of fasting.

There are prayers in the morning (which most people around the world will probably not attend this year), and then going to visit friends and family (again, probably be done different this year). In some cultures, elders give gifts (usually money) to children. You are supposed to have given a certain amount of food (or the money equivalent to it) to charity so that others may also celebrate with ease, and it's' usually around this time that people give fulfill their charity obligation (usually considered 2.5% of their collected wealth) towards charity. Today I learnt that it's the largest donation in the world (amounting to about 500 billion in wealth transfer), and happens every year. I'm pretty sure a lot of richer people/countries hold out, because if they didn't, we'd have solved so many problems years ago.

Either way, whether you celebrate or not, Happy Eid! (Or "Eid Sa'id", or "Eid Mubarak", or whatever you call it in your part of the world). Stay safe and be thankful for what you have, and keep an eye out for what others may not have!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: babloyi

A friend of mine invited some people over to a feast, marking the end of Ramadan, this was back in highschool. It was the first time I had an 'exotic' meat, camel, slow cooked with rice and stuffed peppers. His family is Iranian, or as they put it 'Persian'.
Funny thing, I remember they were drinking alcohol. I wonder what he's up too now days.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Why is skipping lunch and then pigging out at a late dinner and an early breakfast considered fasting?

The IRS transfers TRILLIONS in taxpayer’s wealth every year.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Enjoy the meal
Amazing reading what you write, it’s opens friendly dialogue, teaches equality and heals old wounds
The Muslims while having done some terrible things have had terrible things done to them

Thanks for the warm words

If everyone acted so kind and open

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Not I. all religion is the fall of us all.

despite its nice bits. Mind you, many years ago, in an online game, I knew a kid from the middle east, who told us he had so many sweets and lollies, it made me smile.

Religion is for kids.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
That's pretty cool, I had no idea that camel was a part of Iranian cuisine.
And while muslims are instructed not to drink alcohol, not everyone follows exactly. I know a few imbibing muslims who, for example, decided to use the month of Ramadan as an opportunity to stop drinking alcohol for a month

a reply to: Deny Arrogance
While it sometimes becomes the case that people over-indulge for the pre-dawn meal or the post-sunset meal, it certainly isn't necessary, or expected. I usually just have a piece of fruit or some yoghurt before the morning, and just eat a regular dinner at night. Lack of water is more noticeable to me than the lack of food anyhow.

And while I'm sure the US government does great things for the poor people in the country, I don't think that counts as a charitable donation

a reply to: Raggedyman
Thank you for your kind words! I believe it is not so impossible to motivate everyone towards kindness and openness.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Insalinity

Not I. all religion is the fall of us all.

despite its nice bits. Mind you, many years ago, in an online game, I knew a kid from the middle east, who told us he had so many sweets and lollies, it made me smile.

Religion is for kids.

You must be an atheist, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot taught us how lovely non belief can be, not I

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Why is skipping lunch and then pigging out at a late dinner and an early breakfast considered fasting?

It is called like eight hour fasting, where you only eat inside an 8 hour window. Just normally, you try to keep your stomach empty for sleeping, not the other way around.

It is good, I fast once a year for up to ten days. Start slow and begin slow. I am not muslim.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shibari

originally posted by: Shibari

It is called like eight hour fasting, where you only eat inside an 8 hour window. Just normally, you try to keep your stomach empty for sleeping, not the other way around.

It is good, I fast once a year for up to ten days. Start slow and begin slow. I am not muslim.

"Intermitten fasting". Apparently has a psychological effect that helps in weight loss. But the purpose in Islam is not so much health or fitness, but more remembrance of those who are less fortunate, and to practise self control.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

It is not just psychological but physiological.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Wow, this site is a whole lot less active than it used to be a couple years ago.

If it's not pro/anti Trump or left/right politics then not many here are that interested anymore.

We saw the best of ATS, those days are gone.

I have an Iranian friend who taught me that Iranians aren't Arabs and are proud of being Persian.
He likes to drink alcohol, loves pub life and a bit of craic and banter and is no longer a practising Muslim - he's told me many a time that he had enough of religion to last a life time back in Iran when the Mullah's took over.

However, he still observes Ramadam and many of its customs.

During this outbreak he has also been working with local charities, including Muslim one's, giving out food to homeless and other stuff.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Thanks babloyi for the OP!

I want to wish a Happy Eid Al-Fitr to the Muslim ATS friends! God is only One, He works the same in the hearts and minds of all people regardless of their religion. May He help those who don't have and teach wisdom to everyone and may peace and prosperity come to this world that so much needs them!

top topics

join