It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about wearing a mask

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If the masks work, then why are some businesses forced to remain closed?
If the masks don't work then why are we being forced to wear them?

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Not quite an answer to your questions, but you may want to give this vid a watch if you have the time, as there is some interesting hypothesizing about the use of masks in it. The main point I think being that you're somewhat starving yourself of oxygen that can help boost your immune system with a mask...though I would need to rewatch it myself to be accurate on that point. Intaking some "not great" bacteria is also good because your immune system learns it, fights it, immunizes against it. So something to do with oxygen/unmasked air/environment going into your mouth = good, mask wearing/blocking oxygen/bacteria = not so good.

One other note (in MSM today, surprisingly) is that some deaf people read lips, so wearing a mask does not do much favours for them, let alone if everyone around them is. Sure it's not like 99% of people are deaf and need to read lips, but it's certainly a factor in the whole debate.

edit on 15-5-2020 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: markymint

I am almost completely deaf in one ear, but while I hear quite well with the other a lot of times if I can't see someone's lips what I am able to hear is only partial or sounds different than what they have actually said- especially if they aren't fairly close to me. Being able to read their lips makes it a whole lot easier for me, otherwise I have to ask them to repeat themselves several times. It ain't no picnic. Luckily most people will pull their mask down the first time I ask them to repeat themselves because they assume the mask is muffling their voices.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: summer5

I should start answering every Covid related question with - To crash the economy.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: summer5

Because so many cases are asymptomatic, but then you realize that means they're assuming most of us are already infected. If most of us are already infected, then why are we locked down again?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Americans addicted to face masks just like the Japanese. What a world!

I have taken to wearing a bandana or scarf that I can pull up to look like a mask after my GF complained that wearing a coffee filter duct taped to my face looked stupid and wouldn't dance with me.

back on location and most of the crew are wearing shemagh's. Looks like a Lawrence of Arabia set.
edit on 15-5-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The masks are nothing more than an instrument in social engineering.

If they can make you wear a mask, then you're more likely to be compliant, more willing to turn in people who don't.

The mask is a new symbol of obeying government and subserviant compliance.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

wearing a coffee filter duct taped to my face looked stupid

Yeah? So? I thought of doing exactly that when our "essential retail store" first ran out of "masks." Furnace filters, too. Some ingenuity goes a long way. I don't care if it "looks stupid" - I'm not letting people I don't know breathe on at me.

edit on 15-5-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hey, were you that guy in the crowd in Michigan who had a flag and a noose? Or the one wielding an axe?
Classy

So hero

edit on 15-5-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA

Hey, were you that guy in the crowd in Michigan who had a flag and a noose? Or the one wielding an axe?
Classy

So hero

Yes.

That was me.

Absolutely.

Want an autograph? I do know how to pen my name and read.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Yeah? So? I thought of doing exactly that when our "essential retail store" first ran out of "masks." Furnace filters, too. Some ingenuity goes a long way. I don't care if it "looks stupid" - I'm not letting people I don't know breathe on me.

I wouldn't worry to much, trump will have a vaccine out soon. And everything will return to normal.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Want an autograph? I do know how to pen my name and read.

pass

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

You can write an autograph?

I want a refund on that Xerox copy of your butt print then!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

ATS! Best for the learn englis

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Reducing your risk of infection (or infecting someone else) is a matter of probability, not certainty.

For example, if wearing a mask reduces the probability of you breathing in someone else's virus-laden aerosols by 90% and standing at least 6 feet away from them reduces the probability by another 90%, doing both together would reduce your risk of breathing in the virus to 1% of the risk if you didn't do either. So when people say masks work, they mean that it improves your chances of not contracting the virus by quite a bit, but not that it absolutely prevents it.

For some businesses, like beauty salons, massage parlors, tattoo shops, dentists, doctors, it is impossible to maintain 6 foot separations. Also, it seems that physical touching is another vector for virus transmission, over and above airborne transmission. For those businesses, even wearing masks would still not reduce the probability of transmission very much.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

You can write an autograph?

I want a refund on that Xerox copy of your butt print then!

I just leant to ink my name.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The entire range of masks, social distancing, not touching is designed for one thing: To crush the human spirit out of us.

I have been thinking about opening a thread here about this idea. I may still do it, but the short of it is that we are human, we thrive on social contact. Touching, seeing other people's faces, smiles, frowns. Being close to other humans. There are people who are now scared to have any contact with another human being.

You know what happens when a person is put in isolation (solitary confinement) for an extended period of time. They are trying to put us all in social solitary confinement to achieve the same end.

ETA: I did it. Fresh post in dissecting disinformation.
edit on 2020 5 15 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Yeah? So? I thought of doing exactly that when our "essential retail store" first ran out of "masks." Furnace filters, too. Some ingenuity goes a long way. I don't care if it "looks stupid" - I'm not letting people I don't know breathe on me.

I wouldn't worry to much, trump will have a vaccine out soon. And everything will return to normal.

Get yours right NOW for the discounted price of $19.99! Regular price $99.99! Call NOW and get TWO vaccines for the super low price of $49.99 while supplies last!

*Major credit cards, bank account info, and social security payments accepted*

edit on 15-5-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Because so many cases are asymptomatic, but then you realize that means they're assuming most of us are already infected. If most of us are already infected, then why are we locked down again?

No, the fact that many cases are asymptomatic does NOT mean that public health officials assume that most of us are already infected. The estimated infection rate in New York, for example, (one of the hardest hit locations) is about 14%. A basic reproduction number (R0) between 2.5 and 3 would mean that about an additional 50% of the population would have to become infected in order to establish herd immunity. That's a lot of people who could still become infected and why public health officials are worried that opening back up too soon will cause another spike in cases.

Public health officials are assuming anyone COULD be infected, not that everyone has been infected. Because testing is not sufficiently accurate and plentiful, they have to treat everyone as if they could be a carrier.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

The entire range of masks, social distancing, not touching is designed for one thing: To crush the human spirit out of us.

I have been thinking about opening a thread here about this idea. I may still do it, but the short of it is that we are human, we thrive on social contact. Touching, seeing other people's faces, smiles, frowns. Being close to other humans. There are people who are now scared to have any contact with another human being.

You know what happens when a person is put in isolation (solitary confinement) for an extended period of time. They are trying to put us all in social solitary confinement to achieve the same end.

Sorry, but my spirit is soaring!

I loooove this.

The air is cleaner. The traffic is lighter.
It is so quiet and peaceful at night, that you can actually hear yourself think.

If this whole thing was some nefarious scheme to “break our spirit”, it ain’t working on me...Big Time.

I just do not understand why you all are whimpering and moaning like a pack of two year olds.

How many times have we had to endure all that bragging about “getting away from the city”, “going off the grid” and leaving all the “craziness” behind when “the Big One” (whatever catastrophe it was supposed to be) hits.

News flash, “It” has hit. Worldwide.

Your Dream has come True!

And all you guys can do is whine about wanting it all to “go back to normal, the way it was”.

Sheesh!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join