It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Build Trouble Shooting Help

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I am going to exit now to leave Gothmog to help you. He/she knows a lot more than I do, so no sense in me continuing and causing more confusion.

Hope you guys get it worked out!

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I am going to exit now to leave Gothmog to help you. He/she knows a lot more than I do, so no sense in me continuing and causing more confusion.

Hope you guys get it worked out!

Hang in there....

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: Gothmog
What system board ?
Are you plugging in toUSB 3.0/3.1 ports ?
Lots of unknowns here
If so , there are uEFI settings and chipset drivers that HAVE to be installed first.

3.0 ports.
You think that's what windows update downloaded for me?

Usually , if you don't have them installed.
In this case , chipset drivers were installed . However , for a different chipset for the original board.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
a reply to: Gothmog

It's a Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite.

It refuses to give us any options to install anything. We have the disk, and we've set the BIOS to boot through the disk first, but we haven't been asked if we want to install anything nor have we seen anything installed. We've been looking for a way to find out why because we though there would be stuff that needs to come off that disk and the peripherals all work until Windows gets involved.

Will it get to uEFI (BIOS) ?
If so , load (optimized) defaults , save and exit.
Then attempt Windows 10 safe mode by pressing the reset button on 3 different reboots.
IE - restart and before Windows boot , press the reset button (or power off)
Do the above 3 (2?) times to bring up the startup repair
Choose advanced
Then startup options
Choose safe mode with networking
If you get in , go to this web page
X570 AORUS ELITE

You are after the chipset drivers for Win 10
Download and install (should install from safe mode)

If that does not help , the drivers for the old system board are still installed in Windows 10. To resolve that is a hair pulling process.

I have that board on one of my systems.

We're still on WIndows 7. We have a Windows 10 install flash drive, but not used yet.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Then attempt Windows 10 safe mode by pressing the reset button on 3 different reboots.
Choose advanced
Then startup options

We get this far with the keyboard still working, then it shuts off. I'm looking at the login screen but can't enter a password.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Though I'm on windows 7. But something in windows update fixed an error with my universal serial bus controllers. If I remember correctly.

That would be a correct statement

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Choose advanced
Then startup options

We get this far with the keyboard still working, then it shuts off. I'm looking at the login screen but can't enter a password.

Is this for safe mode ?
Safe mode should work as it is using base level drivers.
At this point , I believe the issue is you still have the original board chipset drivers installed
That causes a bad conundrum.

edit on 4/11/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
If you didn't start with a clean hard drive, that can cause this problem - old config files and drivers not being happy.

Another issue I was once aware of is that Windows 7 didn't play nice with USB 3.0 and could cause such problems.

IMO if the mouse and keyboard work in the BIOS then a fresh install of Win is the fix.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Choose advanced
Then startup options

Is this for safe mode ?
Safe mode should work as it is using base level drivers.
At this point , I believe the issue is you still have the original board chipset drivers installed
That causes a bad conundrum.

You are correct, I realized after I had removed the old mobo and put in the new one that I had not uninstalled the old drivers. I thought I'd be able to boot off the new mobo disk instead of going backwards.
edit on 11-4-2020 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

If you didn't start with a clean hard drive, that can cause this problem - old config files and drivers not being happy.

Another issue I was once aware of is that Windows 7 didn't play nice with USB 3.0 and could cause such problems.

IMO if the mouse and keyboard work in the BIOS then a fresh install of Win is the fix.

Ketsuko is okay with that but wants to keep some old files if we go that route. I tried connecting the drive to my computer as a secondary storage device but my computer didn't recognize it.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Also , I did a system board upgrade on my Threadripper system . I had to wait 30 minutes at a log on screen (Windows was actually detecting all new devices) and finally my keyboard and mouse worked
Do Not restart for about 30 minutes....

There may be an easy way....
Go to Microsoft and download the Windows 10 media for your version
Use a program called RUFUS to create a bootable USB key
Boot the system from the bootable USB key.
Now , the bad part.
If the screen shows "keep personal files and applications" you MAY be ok and it will just perform an "in place upgrade"(UUP)
If it does not show BOTH keep personal files and applications , DO NOT proceed further.

However , with all this said and in either case , you will have to transfer the Windows activation over to the new board (system)
Lots of work , but with enough patience it can be done.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Ketsuko is okay with that but wants to keep some old files if we go that route. I tried connecting the drive to my computer as a secondary storage device but my computer didn't recognize it.

Also, we tried to use the Win 7 disk for repairs but once again the keyboard and mouse stopped working on the first screen, which was the option for a system restore.

We're waiting for 30 minutes like gothmog suggested.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Also, we tried to use the Win 7 disk for repairs but once again the keyboard and mouse stopped working on the first screen, which was the option for a system restore.

For some reason , I thought it was Windows 10.
Windows 7 does not have USB 3.0/3.1 drivers .
They have to be installed via a Windows update.
At the log in screen , unplug the keyboard and mouse
Wait a time
Plug the keyboard and mouse int 2 of the very top 4 USB ports (USB 2.0/1.1)
Wait a time
That should work

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Could it be Windows 7 and the new hardware has USB 3 ports?

Windows 7 doesn't natively support USB 3. You have to install 3rd party drivers, which is hard if you only have them on a USB device. You could try burning them to CD (on another PC) or downloading them from the manufacturer, straight to the PC.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   

For some reason , I thought it was Windows 10.
Windows 7 does not have USB 3.0/3.1 drivers .
They have to be installed via a Windows update.
At the log in screen , unplug the keyboard and mouse
Wait a time
Plug the keyboard and mouse int 2 of the very top 4 USB ports (USB 2.0/1.1)
Wait a time
That should work

K, trying this. I'll leave it unplugged for an hour then plug in before going to bed, see what it looks like in the morning.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well we have partial progress. Ketsuko's keyboard is a mechanical keyboard with backlighting. Previously when we lost access to the keyboard and mouse they would not light up. At this time the keyboard has lit up, but it is still not communicating with the computer.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Using Windows 7 is an extremely bad idea, could also be part of the problem, although as a general rule of thumb, unless you're on an enclosed network, just don't use it

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Using Windows 7 is an extremely bad idea, could also be part of the problem, although as a general rule of thumb, unless you're on an enclosed network, just don't use it

We're planning to upgrade to 10. Blah. But then this happened.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

We're planning to upgrade to 10. Blah. But then this happened.

Get a cheap keyboard and upgrade

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Sounds like usb legacy support is disabled in the bios. You want to ensure that is enabled.
If that doesnt work id try disabling driver signiture enforcement incase they are being flagged.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join