It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Build Trouble Shooting Help

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Using Windows 7 is an extremely bad idea, could also be part of the problem, although as a general rule of thumb, unless you're on an enclosed network, just don't use it

We're planning to upgrade to 10. Blah. But then this happened.

Should’ve gone to 10 first before installing the new board.

I know the chances are slim... but PS2 keyboard?

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Ok, 2 things, had this problem installing win7 on they new ryzen mobo for work.

Ryzen didnt support win 7, so I had no keyboard or mouse, not even to install windows, but I had it in bios.

I used the virtual keyboard in windows to login
I had to use a ps2 keyboard and mouse until I was able to get the correct drivers installed

Hope this helps!

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

a reply to: Teikiatsu

Using Windows 7 is an extremely bad idea, could also be part of the problem, although as a general rule of thumb, unless you're on an enclosed network, just don't use it

We're planning to upgrade to 10. Blah. But then this happened.

Get a cheap keyboard and upgrade

What is the definition of cheap keyboard? If it doesn't use a USB port, where would I plug it in?

Also new updates on the saga of the computer. When I woke up this morning the keyboard was lit up but still did not allow the mouse or keyboard to 'speak' to the computer. The I remember what Seeker and Goth suggested last night... Goth said to load optimized defaults (which I did last night) and Seeker suggested disabling CMS (which I had not previously done, but only because CMS was already disabled.)

But then I thought, if I had loaded defaults then maybe the CMS had been re-enabled afterwards. So I restarted... lo and behold the CMS was enabled. So I disabled it, saved and exited.

The computer rebooted.... directly to BIOS. I made sure CMS was still disabled, saved, exited... and rebooted to BIOS. So I checked the overview and saw that while the system saw the 3 SATA connected to 2 optical drives and the hard drive, the boot sequence was blank?

Now I have no idea what is going on...

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
One other thing I ended up not trying, was injecting all the SATA and USB drivers into a windows installation iso, and creating a touchless install iso, as in you set it all up on another PC, and install the iso on a usb stick, and it installs windows without you having to click or type anything in.

It sounds like the usb 3.0 drivers aren't getting installed, so nothing USB will work.

I now will not buy a mobo without a ps/2 port on it!

Ps: have you tried going into advanced mode in bios and look at everything and finally, have you UPDATED THE BIOS ON THE MOBO yet?

I had to update the bios on all 14 mobos before I could even put a drive in!

edit on 4/12/2020 by neomaximus10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: neomaximus10

So we have Windows 10 on a flash drive would that do what we need or just make it all worse?

And honestly, at this point, I'm thinking we pull the HD, plug it into Teik's computer enough to yank any files I don't want to lose, reformat it and start with it blanked and see if we can make any progress that way.

As far as updating the BIOS, it acts like the disk doesn't exist.

edit on 12-4-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

At this point after catching up, that is probably your best option. Otherwise you are just continuing to chase your tail. Just my opinion and what I would do.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Crap! I was really not wanting to move on to Windows 10. I have it at work and think it's dumb. It's what happens when people assume everyone wants to go touchscreen.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Meh, I was reluctant to move onto win10 as well, but did it anyways. Honestly it works fairly well, once you go into the system and clean out all the garbage that comes with it. There are plenty of good youtube video's on how to clean it up.

edit on 12-4-2020 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Okay so i now have access to Ketsuko's hard drive as a back-up on mine. Is there a way to un-install the previous MOBO drivers from it?

If not, no worries. We have the means to grab her files before I blank it out.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Best bet is to get another HDD from somewhere and replace the one in the machine with that one (it'll save all your data from being lost) and put the old drive in a draw and lock it away so theres no chance of selecting the old one in any way and destroying the data.

Then you can install windows 10 from scratch and install it and if you have a key pop that in to activate it (they're dirt cheap on amazon/ebay) but you don't have to as it'll work just will moan at the bottom right of the screen.

Win 7 on modern hardware just isn't very good as its been out of development for new features for ages now and even some of the newer intel chips won't work properly on 7 either.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Best bet is to get another HDD from somewhere and replace the one in the machine with that one (it'll save all your data from being lost) and put the old drive in a draw and lock it away so theres no chance of selecting the old one in any way and destroying the data.

Then you can install windows 10 from scratch and install it and if you have a key pop that in to activate it (they're dirt cheap on amazon/ebay) but you don't have to as it'll work just will moan at the bottom right of the screen.

Win 7 on modern hardware just isn't very good as its been out of development for new features for ages now and even some of the newer intel chips won't work properly on 7 either.

I had that thought as well, but was trying to not buy any other major hardware.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Ur mobo should have a USB port strictly for updating the bios, always worth a try updating it, unless you put a USB stick in and go into the bios and it doesnt even detect it.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Meh, we swiped the files I wanted and took off and nuked the drive from orbit, put Win 10 on after re-formatting, and I'm in the process and reconstructing all my bits and pieces right now.

It did fix the bits and pieces. So I'm using my own keyboard and mouse again.

At least, I have the valuable stuff backed up and there really isn't all that much of it. The big thing will be reinstalling all the games which will take time, but since I'll be busy with work, I'll have time to let it install in the background.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Just saw this thread..

Nuke from orbit would have been my suggestion.. When I just cant get some random thing to work, its my go-to option. Then, if that doesnt work, I take all the hardware apart and re-assemble. One of the rigs I built once just would not work.. Ended up being a small dog hair in the CPU socket.

I reeallllyyyy wish Steam for Linux supported more games. Ive tried using stuff like WINE, but it can be a struggle.

You can, however, backup your SteamLibrary folder. I always have an unused, up-to-date backup on my largest HDD.

Windows has been causing me endless issues in the past half year. Even with having multiple copies of my steam library, its such a PITA.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

The biggest issue we're having at the moment is that Steam is linked to an old email address that we're having trouble recovering. I can't start downloading games off of Steam until we get that issue resolved.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

It may not help the situation now, but have you ever tried something like KeePass?

I cant tell you how many times its saved me..

Trying to recover account access anywhere can be.. annoying. And, it seems like once one thing has an issue in a build/project it kinda keeps snowballing. Maybe thats just me though.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I think we've got it turned around. Now it's just that slow process of working through getting everything back to the way I like it and untangling issues as they come up.

I got into Steam. I'll deal with Origin another day because there are really only a couple games off there I actually play.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Thats generally my process too lol

Steam is my main one, and I actually dig it even if the sales arent quite as bonkers as they used to be..

I also tend to use a steam controller extensively, so that plays into it too. Before that, I used a Logitech G13, but it has long since been gathering dust.

For stuff like FPS, I use the controller in one hand and a mouse in the other. It appears Im strange.

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Also, just as a potentially useful note..

For PCs running on wifi, if you go into network setting and mark the connection as a "metered connection" and also make sure in updates settings its marked to not update over metered connections.. You can put an effective stall on updates.

I seem to remember a similar method for wired connections, but cant quite recall it.. Its been a while!

posted on Apr, 12 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I use a Logitech G502. Thing is so sensitive that I barely have to twitch and the cursor goes flying. Once I've got my hand "in" with a game, I can play with hardly any effort at all.

It's been tough getting that fine control back after the shoulder surgery though, but it's coming along. But I have long fingers and have developed a fingertip grip. The shoulder issues played havoc with the nerves running through the shoulder joint and that affected my wrist and hand, even into the fingers.

Husband hates it, but he's used to playing with mice that feel like they weigh a ton.
edit on 12-4-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join