It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 flu vs cov-19

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
Social distancing wouldn’t have been possible? Hmmmm.... so the response is warranted because it’s a NEW illness regardless of the actual numbers at all? That’s what you’re saying? OK...

a reply to: ScepticScot

Nope, said neither of those things.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I was always getting lost before, this is a real game changer for me! a reply to: trollz

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   
You lie. a reply to: ScepticScot

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

You lie. a reply to: ScepticScot

One of us is.

Since we can actually read what was posted it is clearly you.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Indeed it is posted... a reply to: ScepticScot

edit on 9-4-2020 by Rob808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

It wouldn't possible to apply the level of restrictions we have here every flu season but this isn't just a typical annual event.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   

It wouldn't possible to apply the level of restrictions we have here every flu season but this isn't just a typical annual event.

Well done that is what I said.

Not what you claimed I said earlier.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Why do people insist on comparing flu with Covid-19? They are different diseases.

Covid-19 is both more lethal than flu and more infectious, as well as having a different incubation period. Covid-19 also lacks a vaccine and a known treatment regime.

Ever since Covid-19 started to spread, people have tried to compare the two diseases. Mostly they have got themselves tied up in knots around statistics, as per the OP. All this does is prove (a) all statistics can be misused and abused to prove one point or another, and (b) many people don't understand statistics and diseases.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Why do people insist on comparing flu with Covid-19? They are different diseases.

Covid-19 is both more lethal than flu and more infectious, as well as having a different incubation period. Covid-19 also lacks a vaccine and a known treatment regime.

Ever since Covid-19 started to spread, people have tried to compare the two diseases. Mostly they have got themselves tied up in knots around statistics, as per the OP. All this does is prove (a) all statistics can be misused and abused to prove one point or another, and (b) many people don't understand statistics and diseases.

You know anyone really sick with covid? I had it for 4 days 2 weeks ago....

But you know all about it right?

Lolz🤪

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

who lost their job from the flu in 2018

It should have been everyone who came to work and spread it around!!

The flu is far less contagious and it kills at a lower rate. As memory serves, 23 million people were infected with the flu that season. If I'm not mistaken COVID-19 is 6X morbidity and 10X fatal. We're dodging a fast moving bullet AFAIC.

My guess is the lockdown will go on for as close to 90 days as government can get ... two weeks at a time.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scepticaldem

Lolz🤪

I think you have more than proved Paraphi's point.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scepticaldem

Lolz🤪

I do. He's been in ICU on a respirator since Monday night. Did you test positive? Or just get the sniffles and assume you had it?

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

And Fauci and other medical professionals have consistently said the total of “infected” is likely 100-1000x more than we can show because “lack of testing”..... IF it’s so “infectious” than by a mathematical CERTAINTY. Even with social distancing and stay at home in place, damn near everyone has/had it. Michigan for example. If EVERYONE stayed home besides “essential” workers( Michigan has 4.2 million essentials/ half population) then by mathematical fact; the essential person within the last 3 months would of contracted it (most likely asymptotic or light symptoms) brought it home and spread to the people “in quarantine”... the only way to save lives would have been to forcefully lock everyone inside the place they were THE MINUTE we first heard about this for “2 weeks”..... and maybe then we could have “reduced the curve”. However we didn’t; and shouldn’t of done that, so by using logic.... 85-95% of this country has or has had this “virus”..... meaning it’s a nothing burger. But you and most other people have ignored your critical thinking; decided to trade your rights, freedoms and peice of mind (once again) for a fear campaign created by the government and media. In return to offer you a solution for your fear based on common sense techniques that we’ve known about for decades.... I am utterly surprised at the number of people who ignore facts; and allow this disinformation and fixed scheme to be unveiled and perpetrated so easily. (Especially to members on a CONSPIRACY site). Either this site has been infiltrated with ALOT of shills or people just don’t investigate or use their brains anymore.....

P.S. the OP is 100% correct

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

So like many experts have said “lack of testing” worldwide. By that logic you can assume (being generous) 500x as many people have contracted it. That’s 750,000,000 instead of 1.5 million infected. BUT deaths are being over reported ( many articles and posts on this site show this) but even at 80,000 deaths worldwide as shown today that is a death rate of .012

Man I wish they shut down the world over this every——- oh wait, now that they found out we will line up for it...... nvm

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

]

YOUR WRONG!!!
Flu has a wide range of incubation periods, depending the strain...and just as deadly as covid-19 depending on the strain.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If we didn't implement reasonable social isolation this virus would be lots worse than the flu was. And some of the deaths from the flu could have been caused by this virus worldwide. They discovered it in China, there is no way of knowing where this virus came from or how long it has been around. The uptick the last few years in flu deaths or deaths by unknown viruses could be from this virus. It was around in China for a lot longer than it was reported to be there, they cremate the majority of their dead so any evidence of it being there before and even n those who were barried, the virus would have deteriorated in three or four months time.

I think they could have done this isolation better, maybe they will learn how to do this from the experience they gain from this. Isolate those who are most at risk...which is a hell of a lot of people in this country based on those who take certain meds that increase their chances of having worse reactions.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   

According to CDC data 80,000 people died in 2018 in America alone from the flu. New models put cov-19 projection totals for the year in America to around 60,000.

Now, show of hands, who lost their job from the flu in 2018, or was forced into mandated quarantines by their government? Who even knew about those flu numbers then? Would you have been terrified by that or simply continued with your life? Were we wrong then with our response to the flu by not forcing quarantine and lowering the curve then, but crippling the economy for potentially years? Are we right now to simply lay down and hope daddy government will send checks soon?

Projections after social distancing and closing down or before?

Because if we did nothing, the 3% death rate equates to over 10 million...and thats just of the virus, nevermind the secondary deaths from people who need a hospital (not related to corona) but the hospitals being wildly over capacity and them not getting the treatment they needed.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This thread is like...

Hey, hardly anyone died of smallpox this year, why did they make such a big deal of it back then..shesh.

Its because of the forced measures and vaccinations that we don't have much of an issue with sp now.
As far as the flu deaths, it is sad...whats more sad is most of them were preventable to begin with (get your flu shot people...don't be a statistic)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

60k deaths is the low end estimate with the mitigation measures.

With out them the death toll would have been much much higher.

We can’t even say for sure when this disease first came to the US. If this disease showed up in late November or December and spreads as rapidly as reported we are likely flattening the curve the same way we do every year with the flu. Everyone gets it, some people show little to no symptoms, some people get various degrees of illness and some people die. Then the end of flu season comes. This is an annual cycle that has been going on since the first flu season, whenever that was.

You must also consider we have vaccines for the annual flu and a lot of people have built up immunities but it still kills 60,000.

So any new strain is likely to have a higher mortality rate than the previous strains. Maybe we should practice better protocols for the elderly and immune compromised but the rest of us need to continue living.

It is impossible to know what mitigation has done to the curve. However, if believing in mitigation makes you feel better about giving up your rights I’m certain the government will let you know how successful mitigation was. And how necessary it is to give up our rights for mitigation.

edit on 9-4-2020 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think there no point in following this kind of argument anymore.
Some people think they can argue points made by epidemiologists, with no biological background hatsoever, this is a level of ignorance that has long surpassed what I hoped to find in this forum really.

As it has been previously stated, the projections are being made with lockdown and social distancing in place.

The example of smallpox is perfect in this case. It is also crucial to look for the time it takes death, and cases, to double. Which is about a week in most cases without social distancing. If today there are around 1 mill cases, then in a week we'd have about 2 mill. A year has 52 of those.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join