It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 flu vs cov-19

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:20 AM
link   
According to CDC data 80,000 people died in 2018 in America alone from the flu. New models put cov-19 projection totals for the year in America to around 60,000.

Now, show of hands, who lost their job from the flu in 2018, or was forced into mandated quarantines by their government? Who even knew about those flu numbers then? Would you have been terrified by that or simply continued with your life? Were we wrong then with our response to the flu by not forcing quarantine and lowering the curve then, but crippling the economy for potentially years? Are we right now to simply lay down and hope daddy government will send checks soon?
edit on 9-4-2020 by Rob808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Congratulations, you've just discovered hind sight.

a reply to: Rob808

edit on 9-4-2020 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I’ve been quite consistent with my view on this. I’m not one who was begging to shutdown the economy, give up the right to assemble, and be forced into bread lines to get my groceries.

But hey, you have sass.
a reply to: hombero

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Bruce Lipton explains in this talk about how fear lowers the immune system.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   
60k deaths is the low end estimate with the mitigation measures.

With out them the death toll would have been much much higher.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

DOCTOR : Hey Canada we need to take your temperature, bend over and spread your cheeks.

CANADA : OK Doctor, I will do anything to stop the spread of this deadly virus.

DOCTOR : Your temperature is a bit high, self isolate for another 2 weeks.

CANADA : Whatever you say Doctor, I'm just a Canadian - I don't ask questions, I just do as I'm told.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The revised CDC figures for flu, pneumonia, heart attacks and strokes in 2018 was 61,000 www.cdc.gov... While the Covid figures have been revised down the 60,000 is the ammount expected by August and based on the assumption the peak is occuring now, only one peak will occur and social distancing continues which leaves a lot of margin for error. Fingers crossed the figure doesn't exceed it though.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   
How do you know our efforts have had any effect? Can you compare the last time cov-19 happened to now and quantify our efforts effect for me?

Here in the city, going to the grocery store (waiting in a line for sometimes over an hour for eggs and milk) with folks in public, then paying at the same credit terminal as the hundreds before me or with dirty cash money? Tell me we didn’t all just pass around our germs.

a reply to: ScepticScot

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Can we say there’s blood on the hands of those who pushed the panic now narrative instilling fear and lowering our immune systems? There’s been a lot of finger pointing going round anyways.

a reply to: Itisnowagain

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
What is the point in blame?
Blaming is hating..... love is what keeps you protected.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Well, I do like the positivity.

a reply to: Itisnowagain

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
60k deaths is the low end estimate with the mitigation measures.

With out them the death toll would have been much much higher.

My favorite mitigation method is the curfew, everyone knows Covid is afraid of the dark.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Your link doesn’t work. There’s quite a few margins of error in the models don’t you think?

a reply to: bastion

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
That’s just common sense!

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:40 AM
link   

This whole shutdown is about common sense....the complete lack there of.

edit on 9-4-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but he does have Corona

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Because we can look at areas where there has been an outbreak and mitigation measures where not introduced as promptly.

Lombardy region has had the equivalent of around 300k deaths in the US.

Mitigation measures can't stop the spread entirely but if people are going out less often, paying by contactless, and generally being a but more careful this will reduce the rate of spread down to a level that health care systems can cope with.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
So quantify our efforts for me. Lombardy region isn’t the US and has a number of different variables in different regions of the world that would be at play in the spread of a disease. That doesn’t prove much about quantifying the American response. Simple question. How many lives were saved by our efforts?

What number of projected deaths is the line that justifies our response vs no response? No shutting down the economy and quarantine from 60,000 flu deaths in 2018. You aren’t advocating that we had the wrong response then, so at what number is it correct? 100,000? 60,001?

Btw when they were telling us 250,000+ Americans would die those models also included our mitigation efforts in the model, they were quite vocal about that fact so it’s not just our efforts that have caused the model to drop...

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
So quantify our efforts for me. Lombardy region isn’t the US and has a number of different variables in different regions of the world that would be at play in the spread of a disease. That doesn’t prove much about quantifying the American response. Simple question. How many lives were saved by our efforts?

What number of projected deaths is the line that justifies our response vs no response? No shutting down the economy and quarantine from 60,000 flu deaths in 2018. You aren’t advocating that we had the wrong response then, so at what number is it correct? 100,000? 60,001?

Yes there a number of differences between the US and lombardy, or even different parts of the US.

However It is an example of real world data that can be used to estimate potential ranges of outcomes.

It isn't as simple as a certain number of deaths from the virus we need to consider. It's the over all effect of the virus (including on the economy) and what measures are available to deal with it. We already attempt to mitigate flu deaths via vaccination and other measures. It wouldn't possible to apply the level of restrictions we have here every flu season but this isn't just a typical annual event.
edit on 9-4-2020 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Social distancing wouldn’t have been possible? Hmmmm.... so the response is warranted because it’s a NEW illness regardless of the actual numbers at all? That’s what you’re saying? OK...

Btw you haven’t answered a single question, but you’re very good at keeping in line. A star for you.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
My favorite mitigation method is the curfew, everyone knows Covid is afraid of the dark.

I think mine is the tape arrows all over the floor of my local grocery store that show people which direction they're allowed to walk while getting groceries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join