It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China spree sparks FIRB crackdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 01:32 AM
link   

The federal government has placed severe, immediate and indefinite restrictions on all foreign investment bids following at least two cases of Chinese-owned companies in Australia securing tonnes of precious medical supplies and shipping them back to China.

Effective from 10.30pm Sunday, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg lowered to zero the dollar value of every foreign investment bid that would trigger scrutiny by the Foreign Investment Review Board and then, ultimately, by him.

Presently, there are varying foreign investment thresholds depending on the buyer, the country in which they are based, and the type of asset being sought. Thresholds range from $1.192 billion to $275 million to zero.

Under the change, the threshold is zero for everythi

China spree sparks FIRB crackdown

A great and sensible decision made here by the Australian government.

As of 10:30PM last night the government announced we would be freezing and restricting foreign investment from countries we do not have a free trade agreement with (ahem, China).

I believe this should become the new policy of the free world personally to protect ourselves from what is referred to here as the 'silent invasion'.

I hope that all other sensible nations take similar precautions or there is a real, scary potential of China buying up a swathe of businesses, stocks and bonds when they are at rock bottom prices and having an unacceptable level of influence in our societies.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I've always found the level of chinese interest in australia interesting.

Probably because I know nothing about australia, but I've seen some youtubers(avi, mainly) covering what is a pretty oddly high level of chinese nationals promoting communism and "extolling" the virtues of china at several political events he's covered.

Seems like, in a way, australia is first on the list in china's attempt to "annex" some more land for itself. The amount of pro chinese mainlanders that seem to be flooding into australia that push propaganda is almost unbelievable.

I suppose it helps if the "hosting" nations government is a bunch of bought and paid shills(like just about every government is for china....but maybe that's going to change now?).
edit on 30-3-2020 by ZapBrannigan3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

Their growing levels of involvement here are absolutely alarming.

Buying up all of our agri businesses, property and even water in a town where they were trucking water in!

There a number of CCP sponsored institutes identified in our universities spreading their propaganda along with institutes based in the community.

Our public broadcaster the ABC loves defending them and painting them in a positive light whenever they can.

If this keeps ramping up we may need to leave for another western Democratic nation before we're the Peoples Republic of Australia

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Next good step would be to nationalise Chinese owned enterprises and ban on institutions connected to the CCP to remove their influence entirely.

Hats off to Australia for taking a stand against China’s empire building. Few people are willing to stand up to them.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Buying up all of our agri businesses, property and even water in a town where they were trucking water in!

There a number of CCP sponsored institutes identified in our universities spreading their propaganda along with institutes based in the community.

Our public broadcaster the ABC loves defending them and painting them in a positive light whenever they can.

If this keeps ramping up we may need to leave for another western Democratic nation before we're the Peoples Republic of Australia

I'm not surprised to see that response. They seem to be very aggressive there, from what little I've seen.

I'm assuming it's land/resource based, their intentions.

I honestly don't know why nations tolerate the selling of land/local industry to china. Especialy australia or the US for that matter.

From what little I've seen, you guys are in a right pickle there. First to fall to the empire of china("Western" world wise). The best thing that might come from this whole ordeal is treating china like russia during the cold war years for the next 3 or 4 decades.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Not to mention Darwin Harbor, water resources in QLD and air ports in WA. We won't get them back. Some greedy individuals leased Darwin Harbor for a song, caught the yanks by surprise.

Bally

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Next good step would be to nationalise Chinese owned enterprises and ban on institutions connected to the CCP to remove their influence entirely.

Hats off to Australia for taking a stand against China’s empire building. Few people are willing to stand up to them.

All we have to worry about now is them rolling hundreds of tanks and troops off the docks of the port they own in the Norther Territory, in response to any nationalization of their assets..

originally posted by: bally001

Not to mention Darwin Harbor, water resources in QLD and air ports in WA. We won't get them back. Some greedy individuals leased Darwin Harbor for a song, caught the yanks by surprise.

Bally

I'm fairly certain that we can find China has broken it's lease on Darwin port and other holdings through their most recent actions. I'm sure that while smuggling out billions worth of goods (some bought some not), they would have broken a few laws or payed off a few people who might be persuaded to turn on them..
edit on 30-3-2020 by Ironclad1964 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

I hope that all other sensible nations take similar precautions or there is a real, scary potential of China buying up a swathe of businesses, stocks and bonds when they are at rock bottom prices and having an unacceptable level of influence in our societies.

You are about 11 years or more too late with the warning.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

That is a fantastic suggestion, especially when you have Chinese owned companies like Greenland ordering their staff to secure large quantities of medical supplies and ship them to China weeks before anyone knew the severity of the situation.

www.thechronicle.com.au...

As another member said on a different thread, we need to treat them like we did Russia in the cold war.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Yeah the Darwin harbor sell off was an absolute bloody shocker, someone ought to be locked up over that.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Hopefully not for some nations.

P.S I love your user profile and have been meaning to say so for a while....increased appreciation after The Children Of Hurin

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   

a reply to: bally001

Yeah the Darwin harbor sell off was an absolute bloody shocker, someone ought to be locked up over that.

Right under the noses of the yanks new division and not long after Obama visited. Locked up? That wouldn't help. Persons responsible should be stripped of their wealth! Back to zero, nothing. They did it for the money without public input. 99 years lease?

No wonder the Chinese like gambling. They were on a winner in Darwin.

Bally

top topics

join