It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military jets for sale? I saw a Mig-23 for 90K

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I was thinking about ex military aircraft for sale. I remember reading a story about some wealthy businessman in Chicago buying an F4 and some migs, and they fly them for fun on the weekends!

How cool would it be to have your own fighter? I would imagine buying one is only a fraction of the cost to own and operate it when you factor fuel, maintainence, hanger space & airport fees etc..

I found a 1979 Mig-23 for $90,000 USD
thats cheaper than alot of fast cars out there, an djust think of what kind of trouble you get into.

They even have a 1992 Mig-29M for just 10 million.

check it out:

www.globalplanesearch.com...

I know one thing is for sure. If I were to ever own an old military jet I would paint itlike a giant american flag since Ilive in the US, and would not want to risk the USAF thinking I am some hostile force.

Does anyone know of any good sites to look at 60's era to present military jets for sale?

[edit on 10-3-2005 by warpboost]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Haha, LOL.

Good idea about the paint, imagine if the Mig still had red stars everywhere.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
That would be awesome to own one..just one problem...

What the hell do you do when you blow a vacumn tube and can't find a replacement west of St. Petersburg?

I'll take a Cessna any day..

Sure, you can't go as fast, but if something breaks, the catalogs to order parts are in English.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
That would be awesome to own one..just one problem...

What the hell do you do when you blow a vacumn tube and can't find a replacement west of St. Petersburg?

I know you are joking, but vacuum tubes are still in production at the moment because there are quite a few things that demand them. You would be surprised at the number of Banks main computer systems that still run on vacuum tubes - many of them havent changed since the 1960s when they were first commissioned and they need spares etc. Also vacuum tubes are used in the recording industry.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Yup, can't get that sweet sound from a solid state guitar amplifier.... Tubes all the way

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I don't think finding parts, or doing maintenance would be an issue as long as you have $$$$. I can’t imagine getting parts would be much harder than finding parts for a rare care etc…. and a highly competent jet mechanic could probably wrench on it.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
At out airport in our city someone owns a L-39 Albatross or 2, I never see them fly, or very rarely at most.

As far as I know, the person who owns them is a mechanic and isn't extremely wealthy, but wealthy none-the-less...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You gotta have some seriously deep pockets to operate a warbird. Insurance alone for a WW2 era DC3 will run 150,000 dollars a year. Add in the 400 dollars an hour it takes to operate it and you will need to work some overtime to afford it.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
On the other hand,

Microsoft flight simulator costs about $60.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
From what I understand there are several companies that do liase with the russians when you need parts for your communist block fighter, trainer, etc.
Russian planes are cheap, but I don't know that I would trust my life with a surplused fighter jet which in all likelihood has falsified airframe hours.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
As the man said earlier, cessnas all the way!
I bet it could take down the F22.....anyday

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
But a Cesna isn't pretty
why couldn't that Stavattie plane be real and afforable, HOWEVER, Scaled makes some great looking planes too

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I've seen plenty of warbirds flying in private ownership here in Michigan.

From an L-39 Albatross at Willow Run Airport, to a MiG-15 at Pontiac Airport, to a MiG-17 just flying through. Not to mention at Willow Run is the Yankee Air Force Museum, which owns a B-17, B-25, DC-3, and a couple other WWII era planes in flying condition.

EDIT: Not to mention Huey helicopters... After Vietnam they were 500 dollars each. I know someone that bought three and made one working version from the parts.

Also, there are a couple companies here in the States (in the southwest, I believe) that sell L-39s. They paint them to suit, and come with various options.

[edit on 3/12/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Most of the privately owned military jets I've seen were T-38/F-5's, F-104 Starfighters and some Czech trainer - I forget what it's called.

Also anytime a jet is as cheap as 90k you can pretty much be assured it needs a major overhaul on it's turbine.

[edit on 12-3-2005 by intelgurl]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
some Czech trainer - I forget what it's called.

That's the L-39 Albatross.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
let me know about the star

top topics

join