It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When should we keep students home from school?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My daughter's senior year.

She's wondering if there may not be a graduation ceremony.

Prom is probably out.

Damn, that's sad.

edit on 3/12/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: IrateCanadian
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

Think of it this way.. Italy has one of the TOP best healthcare systems in the world. Even better than USA!

Where did you get this information?

I lived there for 20 years and their health care is HORRID!

Seriously? Where did you get this info?

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I started in May of 2017...

That said, YOU keep yours home when YOU feel it's time. You are the parent, therefore the rest of the world (including those put in society's artificial position of presumed authority over the children God entrusted you and your husband with) can go suck eggs. If you feel like they are safer in your own home, then now is the time.

PS: Hi!

Hey there

Good call, Mama bear.
Gotta keep them safe, ya.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

One of my sons graduates Kindergarten. I was doing some of the planning with the teacher thinking... this is never going to happen.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Schools are closing here in GA. I'm glad. It's one less thing to worry about. There's just not enough wipes, hand sanitizer or soap available in the stores to keep on keeping on like everything is normal. And I can't be there to remind them to wash their hands. Plus kids have coughs on a good day, not to mention allergy season is here. Until there is widespread testing, that's just unmanageable.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Hello, long time no see.

Ohio currently has 5 confirmed cases and the governor declared that as of end of business on Monday, all Ohio K-12 public, private and religious schools are closed and on a three week “Spring Break” for now. Some are making Friday their last day, because they were planing on being off next week anyway.

As others have said, it is your call. The school can have it “explained to them in terms that can be understood”

UPDATE:The Ohio State University is taking a two week Spring Break. All undergrads have to move off campus and all classes are online only until next Fall. Disneyland and Disneyworld have announced that they will be the Closed-est Places on Earth by Monday.
edit on 12-3-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
My daughter's senior year.

She's wondering if there may not be a graduation ceremony.

Prom is probably out.

Damn, that's sad.

That sucks
Won't get those back.
Very sorry to hear that.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I pulled mine out on Monday...got some pushback. The school system finally decided to close starting tomorrow and they've told parents that students would face no punishment for absences "during the COVID-19 time period."

Pull them out when you feel it's time, the rest will sort itself out.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Her school has notified us they are taking a rational approach. Waiting to see what happens over spring break. So far the state has no cases of community infection. Two more weeks should tell the tale, assuming testing gets up to snuff.

edit on 3/14/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Her school has notified us they are taking a rational approach. Waiting to see what happens over spring break. So far the state has no cases of community infection. Two more weeks should tell the tale, assuming testing gets up to snuff.

The schools in southern Washington state have now closed through Apr 24, so that is 6 weeks. After 20 mins of getting the notification yesterday I had employees come to me asking what is the company going to do and they expect the company to pay for daycare etc...These employees make 90k+ a year.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Washington seems to be in a different situation than Hawaii as far as infections go. We just had two more diagnoses (for a total of 4), out of state visitors. As of yet, no indication of community infection.

As a high school senior, I don't have to worry about day care for my daughter. Were she younger it would be a different matter. I work for a small company, but if I worked for a large one I would probably inquire (not expect) about assistance from my employer. Cost of living is very high here.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

The schools in southern Washington state have now closed through Apr 24, so that is 6 weeks. After 20 mins of getting the notification yesterday I had employees come to me asking what is the company going to do and they expect the company to pay for daycare etc...These employees make 90k+ a year.

It's the same for northern Washington state as well now.

Hasn't affected work yet.. Fingers crossed.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

As a high school senior, I don't have to worry about day care for my daughter. Were she younger it would be a different matter. I work for a small company, but if I worked for a large one I would probably inquire (not expect) about assistance from my employer. Cost of living is very high here.

My youngest is 17 so I'm in the same boat as you. As a company we are 1200, but owned by Boeing...We have no cases near us, but if we get any we will most likely shut down for 2 week with everyone on full pay. I have about 40 foreigners as students so that is going to be a big deal.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
We have several confirmed cases in nearby counties.

Our schools are open as of yesterday.

I’m considering not sending them, but I’m also thinking a closure isn’t far away. They are always the last to delay or cancel for weather.

But my kids are also big enough to stay alone and operate the microwave, so I don’t have the same worry some of my coworkers face, with having younger children.

I think the right thing is to social distance. I don’t need to wait for the government to tell me to be a hermit, I was already a hermit before I got here.

This whole thing is ride.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
One of my daughter's best friends is returning from college in Ohio, the school has closed its dorms and is is going online.

After much angst we've arrived at the conclusion that total avoidance for two weeks is more extreme than necessary (no cases at the college). So, no hugging, just hanging out, will be the regimen.

Technically, I'm in the risk group. So this is for dear old dad's sake. Mostly.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Our son's district has been quietly preparing against the eventuality. Thursday and Friday both, he brought home large packets of supplies and books from school in big zip-locs, but the constantly updating letters from the district superintendent state that there are no confirmed cases in the district itself, so there are currently no plans to alter school.

At any rate, this coming week is Spring Break, so they naturally have a week coming at home anyhow.

If the district decides to extend that week, they will let us know during the week ahead.

Presently, I am not terribly concerned about anyone in my immediately family getting this illness. My husband and I are both young enough that we should simply be ill. And our son is in the age group that shows most resilience to it worldwide. He may get it, but the chances he does more than suffer a very light bout of illness if that are extremely slim. So we will do our part to try not spread the illness, but if we get it, I am not worried we'll die from it.

So as far as school goes, when they call it; they call it. I'll leave that choice up to them.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
a reply to: IrateCanadian

I just read on another thread that the Italian healthcare is absolute shhite. That's from the officials who tried to figure out why there are so many cases in Italy. [Age and inadequate healthcare].
Is it top notch or crap?

In the end most won't get it, those that do will survive and some will have it and not notice. If you are very old and have underlying illnesses, you are always more likely to have a bad outcome from any virus you catch.

Trust me, Italy, France and Spain are barely, if at all, past 3rd world outside of the main cities.

Their healthcare is adequate in cities bordering on absent everywhere else.

If you have traveled widely in these countries you would know.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join