It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid 19 Percentages Of Patients With Smoking History Are Very Low

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Here's an odd thing your OP made me think of---I quit smoking for good in 1987, which is 33 years ago. (An odd synchronicity with the thread about the number 33 in news articles that reoccurred.

Guess I'll have to wait to find out if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

edit on 1-3-2020 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: eta

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The nitrous oxide and nicotine in cigarette smoke kills microbes and viruses. If you do not smoke, you have more microbes in your airways, and when you breathe in smoke, those critters do not like it and excrete chemistry that makes you cough more and can actually make you sick if there are enough symbiotic bacteria or fungus in your airway. They thought that microbes did not live in airways before, because they never detected them unless people were sick. But evidently they were there in people who did not smoke and were never around smokers. People living in the house with smokers reap the benefit of no microbes in their lungs if they are exposed to it regularly.

I have known this for over fifteen years, not smoking makes people more susceptible to many diseases, but does increase some diseases too because of all the pesticides, herbicines, and chemicals used in cigarettes. Organic tobacco is not nearly as bad as commercial tobacco, it actually has some health benefits if it is smoked regularly, but no more than say five or six cigarette equivalentg

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

Possibly, but maybe not such a good idea at the moment to puff, puff pass.

Every smoker got their own, even if it seems antisocial.

Not sure, but once read an interview with Rita Marley, and in Jamaica this was apparently always the custom.

But I've already noticed, even in "polite society" handshakes being replaced by fist-bumps (until recently only common in youth or sub-cultures).
edit on 1-3-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Now this is interesting and possibly counter-intuitive. It appears active smokers are far less likely to acquire the coronavirus. I was going to quit again, maybe I shall wait a few weeks.

Anyone else see anything about this?

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Clinical characteristics of 140 patients:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, 1.4%) patients and current smokers (1.4%) were rare.

The relationship between smoking and coronavirus infection is not clear, and the exact underlying causes of the lower incidence of COVID-19 in current smokers are still unknown. Previous study demonstrated that CoV was not frequently detected by RT-PCR in the exacerbation of COPD, as compared to other respiratory viruses such as RV, EnV, RSV, and IfV, indicating that coronavirus plays a minor role in the acute exacerbation of COPD.23 Although our study found that COPD and smoking populations were less likely to be infected with SARS-CoV-2, but the outcome of SARS-CoV-2 infection in smokers may be more severe.

This is the same for a lot of illnesses and conditions..

For instance, Smokers are much less likely to get Asbestos related illnesses because of the Coating of Tar on their lungs.

Inhaled viruses and Bacteria are also more likely to get trapped in the Tar layer.

It isn't a 100% guarantee, but Smokers do have an advantage when it comes to certain things.

Weather the trade-off is worth it is another thing altogether..lol

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: KindraLaBelle

Life throws curveballs, this outbreak looks more like a bio weapon or a culling exercise. If that is the case and Im not saying it is, but it would have been in the plans for decades. Hence making people stop smoking if it had any kind of protective effect. Which is strange as the tobacco industry would have been a cash cow, which they wouldn't want to kill.
China, North Korea, Iran . A rapidly becoming basket cases, the rest collateral damage. Make sense?

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad1964

I swear I once saw an Oprah show where they talked about a hotel being on fire, and everybody became unconscious due to the smoke, and the smokers were the only people to stay alert and they helped the others escape.

Maybe late 1990's, but Oprah still made a comment: "Now that's not a reason to start smoking!"

Although I thought it was a rather convincing justification.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ironclad1964

originally posted by: infolurker
Now this is interesting and possibly counter-intuitive. It appears active smokers are far less likely to acquire the coronavirus. I was going to quit again, maybe I shall wait a few weeks.

Anyone else see anything about this?

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Clinical characteristics of 140 patients:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, 1.4%) patients and current smokers (1.4%) were rare.

The relationship between smoking and coronavirus infection is not clear, and the exact underlying causes of the lower incidence of COVID-19 in current smokers are still unknown. Previous study demonstrated that CoV was not frequently detected by RT-PCR in the exacerbation of COPD, as compared to other respiratory viruses such as RV, EnV, RSV, and IfV, indicating that coronavirus plays a minor role in the acute exacerbation of COPD.23 Although our study found that COPD and smoking populations were less likely to be infected with SARS-CoV-2, but the outcome of SARS-CoV-2 infection in smokers may be more severe.

This is the same for a lot of illnesses and conditions..

For instance, Smokers are much less likely to get Asbestos related illnesses because of the Coating of Tar on their lungs.

Inhaled viruses and Bacteria are also more likely to get trapped in the Tar layer.

It isn't a 100% guarantee, but Smokers do have an advantage when it comes to certain things.

Weather the trade-off is worth it is another thing altogether..lol

Seems like these pathogens will kill you faster than any cigarette ever could.

Is taking up smoking during a pandemic a form of proactive preparedness?

Better safe than sorry. You can always quit again with relatively little or no harm done frankly.

Can't quit a pathogen.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Don't they spay nicotine on plants to stop diseases?

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I've heard of nicotine being a natural pesticide, I'm not sure as far as preventing disease specifically however.

Gues it's time for a little bourbon and Google..lol

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: EternalShadow

Don't they spay nicotine on plants to stop diseases?

Nicotine is an alkaloid and natural insecticide that acts as an anti-herbivore chemical in tobacco plants (Nicotiana rustica (wild tabacco), Nicotiana tabacum (cultivated tabaco) Fig.1) and other nightshade plants. In tobacco plants nicotine may constitute up to 3 % of the dry weight. The compound mimics the endogenous neurotransmitter acetylcholine and exhibits agonistic effects on most nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Nicotine has been used as a natural insecticide and is the archetype for the large range of synthetic neonicotinoid insecticides.

natoxaq.ku.dk...

VERY interesting article on the medicinal uses of tobacco throughout history. Some of which may lend credibility to the OP.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Have a looksy while I serve myself another pour.. lol

ETA: Couldn't locate any research or findings on disease prevention other than about the tobacco plant itself. However, like I said the second link is encouraging.
edit on 3/1/2020 by EternalShadow because: ETA

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well, as a proud smoker for 50 years (first cigarette when I was 9), and as one who has outlived every doctor that told him that he would die if he didn't quit smoking, and as someone who, despite all that, has pretty damn good lung capacity.... it's nice to see something for once that doesn't try to make me out as a walking Haz-Mat placard.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I like a smoke but only roll your owns, I have been smoking for 60 years, I cut it down to about six rollies a day because of the cost, as a kid I used to go into a tobacconist shop and got addicted to the fragrances, they used to keep it in earthen jars lots of different varieties and curing techniques from all over the world. You could buy a shillings worth, and they would weigh it and roll it in a conical package. I still miss the smell of that type of shop. I remember a rolling tobacco called "Black beauty shag" It was so strong you had to sit down smoking it. But it was a country town, and have always been a bit wary of cities, and think of the tire particles in the air dust, and diesel smoke. In my opinion in moderation its a harmless pleasure that's been vilified, beyond all proportion.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I had three teeth pulled one day back in October and started smoking the minute I walked out, lol.

I didn't experience any negative effects that I know of.

I even broke all the rules and didn't use the mouthwash or cotton balls.

That may not work for anyone else, I may be in better condition overall and capable of withstanding more punishment so it's unclear why I'm lucky.

Maybe it was in my mind, I wasn't afraid though I was warned multiple times.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Or you got lucky, when I was in my 20s I had all 4 wisdoms out in one go and smoked straight away and I was fine, had a tooth pulled in my 40s and smoked, got it bad, I'm telling you don't want to know how it felt. The socket gets infected and then the infection has to be scraped out.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

My doctors would check my lungs out and swear I can't possibly be a smoker.

I am though. Since 1997 or 96.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Or you got lucky, when I was in my 20s I had all 4 wisdoms out in one go and smoked straight away and I was fine, had a tooth pulled in my 40s and smoked, got it bad, I'm telling you don't want to know how it felt. The socket gets infected and then the infection has to be scraped out.

You needed honey.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You needed honey.

Indeed.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

In my opinion in moderation its a harmless pleasure that's been vilified, beyond all proportion.

Throw the qualifier "relatively" in there and we're in agreement. Some people have difficulty with smoke; I just don't see that as a reason to vilify it the way has been done. Some people can't eat peanuts, either... should we try to exterminate the peanut plant?

I only smoke home-rolled now, too, and am actually looking into growing tobacco myself... only reason I haven't done so already is the deer here would eat the things down to a nub before they could get out of the ground good. Fencing is expensive. Still, though, my total cost for a pack is around $0.80-0.90, where the same pack of Marlboros was advertised in the tobacco shop yesterday for $6.50! That pack takes me about 15-20 minutes to roll, using a $6 throw-away machine that will last for over a year on average. And the smokes I make are stronger (I smoke less), smoother, taste better, and do not have little rings of carpet glue around the inside of the paper "for my benefit."

If there were justice in the world, anyone who supported making all commercial cigarettes "fire-proof" using carpet glue should be up on charges of murder for everyone who has gotten sick by inhaling burning glue. There's your health effects. Forcing smokers to walk outside for 5-10 minutes every few hours without any regard to the temperature or weather, then trying to say that workers who smoke are getting sick more often, should be just cause for restricting people to positions that require an IQ of under 60.

But, that's a big "if"...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I finally got through to my doctors. Every time I meet a new one, the first words out of my mouth are something like, "I smoke. I have already outlived every one of you guys that told me it was going to kill me. Please don't tell me that, because I'm getting tired of changing doctors because they die off."

Seems to work...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

i remember while getting a really nasty wisdom tooth removed both me and the dentist going out for a smoke to calm our nerves halfway through. never ran into any issues due to smoking after getting teeth pulled, or other dental work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join