It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Contact? - Something in Space is Sending Earth Signals Like Clockwork

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

The mystery signal, known as FRB 180916.J0158+65 was first discovered in 2017, but has continued repeating steadily, albeit at a rate some 600 times fainter than the first bright flare. In their study, scientists analysed 28 bursts which took place between September 2018 and October 2019, confirming the pattern, and excitedly concluding “that this is the first detected periodicity of any kind in an FRB source.”

The new FRB was tracked down to SDSS J015800.28+264253.0, a star-forming galaxy about 500 million light years from Earth.

And although the scientists don’t mention it, there’s no ruling out that this could be an alien life-form attempting to make contact with other lifeforms in the galaxy. Human scientists have been fascinated with the concept of using radio waves to try to make contact with extraterrestrial intelligence since the 1890s, and countries have built a number of radio telescopes over the past century to listen out for incoming extraterrestrial radio waves.

First Contact? Something in Space is Sending Earth Signals Like Clockwork, Scientists Don’t Know Why

The FRB are still continuing to this day. It could be an object in orbit of a sun that sends signals out at the same time every orbit. It could be a natural object or something else.

It may be an object that has a wobble or rotation, like a strong magnetic neutron star. It could be a binary star system with a massive star and a huge and super-dense neutron star in the system.

It could be our space brothers trying to find out where we are so they can meet us or maybe they are looking to eat us.

Whatever it is the scientists plan on keeping an eye on it. Looking for clues of its origins and the identity of the FRB.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
As much as I'd love it to be other life out there, it truly probably is just something powerful like a magnetar. 500 million light-years is a long damn ways away, if anything living ever did send the signals, they're long gone by now/long evolved. Whoever we'd meet wouldn't be remotely the same as who first said "YO!" across the vastness.
edit on 2/8/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Very interesting..., from the actual source link through OPs source.

In 28 bursts recorded from 16th September 2018 through 30th October 2019, we find that bursts arrive in a 4.0-day phase window, with some cycles showing no bursts, and some showing multiple bursts, within CHIME's limited daily exposure. Our results suggest a mechanism for periodic modulation either of the burst emission itself, or through external amplification or absorption, and disfavour models invoking purely sporadic processes.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm going to go with a pulsar, magnetar or some other as yet identified celestial object. And they were sent when Earth was in the pre-cambrian era so it's of little importance now. I still hope we make contact some day but I don't think we're there yet.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, it is nice to know that we are not the only idiots in the Universe sending signals to other worlds that are many light years away and even with the fastest ships would take hundreds of years for anyone to answer. By the time they do respond, we will have gone through a nuclear war and we will be living in caves again. Surrounded by plastic containers on a planet with only roundup resistant plants on it.. We will make a hell of an impression on any advanced race that comes here to visit.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
I'm going to go with a pulsar, magnetar or some other as yet identified celestial object. And they were sent when Earth was in the pre-cambrian era so it's of little importance now. I still hope we make contact some day but I don't think we're there yet.

I don't know of any pulsars or even magnetars that transmit that fast.

These are *fast* bursts - hence the name, I guess.

I think it's very, very cool.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
As much as I'd love it to be other life out there, it truly probably is just something powerful like a magnetar. 500 million light-years is a long damn ways away, if anything living ever did send the signals, they're long gone by now/long evolved. Whoever we'd meet wouldn't be remotely the same as who first said "YO!" across the vastness.

First thing I thought of as well. However, the fact that the signal looks like it's coming from 500 million LY away doesn't make it so. How do they know? The only thing they've got going for them is direction. So what of something else is a whole lot closer and simply is in line of sight with the 500 million year old galaxy? Yeah, it's a stretch, but not impossible. But absent Warp Drive, such a signal would be quite useless to us.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

absent Warp Drive, such a signal would be quite useless

Or time travel. What if they could send a signal device back in time 500 million years? That would work too. Not very good odds, but you never know.

edit on 8-2-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   
ha ha face palm! really? really? you people actually believe we are the only ones here? incredible

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
ha ha face palm! really? really? you people actually believe we are the only ones here? incredible

If you have any proof.

Please link it.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There's really no such thing as a directional radio transmission. It ripples out spherically in all directions. So rather than them trying to send us a signal, maybe they're transmitting to a receiver completely opposite us and we're just eavesdropping.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

As of today, I don't know of any other intelligent life in the universe other than hypothetical, which is practically the same as non-existent. If you know of any, please share. There are quite a few people who would like to hear about it.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

FACEPALM! Really? Who here has claimed that? NO ONE! You are making up a Straw Man here, pretending you're better informed at their expense. NOBODY IS CLAIMING we are the only ones here. But this particular signal IN NO WAY addresses that issue. It's a repeating signal from apparently a long ways away. It's not like it's in Morse code. That does not indicate and certainly does not prove Aliens from Space. There is simply not enough information on this issue to make such a claim. Jumping to such conclusions does not indicate a superior intellect.
edit on 2/8/2020 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

We are not the only *ones* out here; WE ARE THEM participating in a very dense 3D material dimension. We are stupidly looking for evidence of ourselves while existing simultaneously with that experience.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort

I don't know of any pulsars or even magnetars that transmit that fast.

These are *fast* bursts - hence the name, I guess.

I think it's very, very cool.

The first discovered sent out a pulse every 1.33 seconds.
LGM-1 (which stood for Little Green Men - 1)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

As depicted in the beginning of the movie ‘Contact’, the earth has an expanding ‘bubble’ of man-made radio signals expanding outward at the speed of light. The first of these early radio transmissions were short range experiments that used simple clicks and interrupts to show transmission of information in the 1890s. In 1900, Reginald Fessenden made the first — though incredibly weak — voice transmission over the airwaves. The next year saw a step up in power as Guglielmo Marconi made the first ever transatlantic radio broadcast. This means that at 110 light-years away from earth — the edge of a radio ‘sphere’ which contains many star systems — our very first radio broadcasts are beginning to arrive. At 74 light-years away, television signals are being introduced. Star systems at a distance of 50 light-years are now entering the ‘Twilight Zone’.

130 years and 110 light-years.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

What caused scientists in 1890s to begin attempting to contact extraterrestrials??

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I say it must be of natural origin, since it would be a waste of power to send such powerful signals...

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
As much as I'd love it to be other life out there, 500 million light-years is a long damn ways away, if anything living ever did send the signals, they're long gone by now/long evolved. Whoever we'd meet wouldn't be remotely the same as who first said "YO!" across the vastness.

They probably advanced to the point of being able to travel at high-warp speed. That culture Passed through their own signal moving outward in space.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Its something to keep tabs on but it could be as simple as a rapid orbit of a planet periodically blocking the signal of a emitting star

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join