It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump did away with the "Clean Water Rule"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The law was to protect streams that lasted a very short time, which could provide paths to bigger areas of water that are more permanent.

It should be preventing big corporations from polluting but like another poster said, the EPA did go after individuals for smaller stuff which i don't understand.
edit on 29-1-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: ketsuko

The law was to protect streams that lasted a very short time, which could provide paths to bigger areas of water that are more permanent.

It should be preventing big corporations from polluting but like another poster said, the EPA did go after individuals for smaller stuff which i don't understand.

I do. It's all about control and erosion of private property rights.

The large business has the resources to fight you while the single guy with his land does not. If you chase him off, the land becomes yours because the government can buy it.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The devils always in the details. No one is against clean water. The issue is that the EPA bureaucracy has been abusing their authority.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

ditches were considered wet lands long before obama. here is a article about a friend of my father and his son.

Ocie and Carey Mills went to jail in Pensacola, Florida, May 15th. The 54-year-old retired contractor and his 31-year-old son were sentenced to 21 months in prison after a U.S. District Court jury found them guilty of knowingly discharging fill material in wetlands and dredging a canal on their property, both violations of the Clean Water Act. The two men were each fined $5,000, denied eligibility for parole, and ordered to restore the wetlands within 90 days of their release from prison.
This Land Is My Land — Isn't It?

the canal their talking about was a ditch he dug.

edit on 29-1-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I've heard him say he wants clean water. Guess he thinks this is how to accomplish that.

www.nytimes.com...

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Thursday finalized a rule to strip away environmental protections for streams, wetlands and groundwater, handing a victory to farmers, fossil fuel producers and real estate developers who said Obama-era rules had shackled them with onerous and unnecessary burdens.

Note that it's a victory for real estate developers.
But he doesn't make policy to benefit himself now does he?

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
AHHH... this one is easy... While Americans were licking their chops waiting to be kept safe, subjugated and taxed to the gills ( so they could get free crap).... OBAMA and some of our "representative" overlords,passed some laws( and signed some with that executive pen)....UNCHECKED BY THE WAY.... They made it a crime to collect rainwater, build a pond on your rural property and use any water given to you by god.. They went so far as to claim all the GUTTERS in the us is under that needed protection... All so the US govt could add another strangle hold on our constitutional rights as US citizens... HMMMM...it the average US citizen polluting the waterways??? not really folks... its the corporations, CITY municipalities( yes thats right!!) and local companies that are EXCLUDED from these rules that do the most damage to US water supplies. Trump just freed up some more nonsense.... WE ALREADY HAVE DUMPING, LITTER , and other laws on the books.. he is getting rid of the DUMB regulations that weren't meant to do anything by strangle YOU. Nothing to see here...Go back to twitter OP...
edit on Wed Jan 29 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I'm all about clean water and protecting certain areas BUT.....what you just cited is why I don't support this and it was good Trump repealed it.

It's way to much buracacy, red tape, and excessive over reach that affects farmers, and people like you have in your post. The regular people that mind their own business and just want a simple living or to help others, then, they get punished for it. That's not what the clean water laws should be worried about.

It needs to be simplified, less cooks in the kitchen, and used in legitimate non authoritarian ways.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BerkshireEntity

Exactly -- and well said!

There are needs to be balanced on all sides. But as previously implemented and enforced, this was doing the opposite, and trampling private property rights and personal rights. It was a gross abuse of power by government -- in its intentions, its implementation, and its enforcement.

I haven't yet checked out the new regs in detail, but at least on first glance, Trump did good here. At the very least, ending the built-in abuse of property and personal rights is a big step in the right direction.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: supermarket2012

It's better for the economy if businesses can poison the air , water , and food. They make more money that way.

Nature doesn't mater. Only the economy maters.

Ether get on board with the trump train or get out of the way.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It was cleaner than it's about to be.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

What is the trump admin doing to protect the water ways from being polluted though?

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

We are from the Government , We are here to Help

yeah ok

FLASHBACK

Here's Why Some Think the EPA Intentionally Poisoned the Animas River August 14, 2015

By now you probably have heard of the horrendous mess the Environmental Protection Agency made of the Animas River in Colorado.
The EPA released over 3 million gallons of poisonous toxic water into the once-beautiful river after there was a breach that spilled from one of the many abandoned mines that surrounded the area......

A week before the incredulous catastrophe occurred, a letter to the editor containing an incredibly suspicious warning about the possibility of such a disaster was published in The Silverton Standard & The Miner local newspaper.

The letter was written by a retired geologist detailing verbatim how EPA would foul the Animas River on purpose in order to secure Superfund money.

Ronald Reagan once said, “The nine most terrifying words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.'” If you don’t believe it yet, maybe you will start to after reading this:.....

edit on 1292020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You are very correct about states rights. I had this conversation with someone else. They were upset thinking now that water in America will be toxic. The Obama era rules did nothing but choke companies and give the federal government more power over its citizens and their own property.

Each state is now open to enforce its own laws as it was designed when our country started.

This is a Trump hit piece and nothing more.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The problem with federal oversight: when it screws you over, you have redress grievances in Washington. Those idiots don't do anything, and spend all their time campaigning and talking to lobbyists.

When people talk "small government" what they (should) mean is power is held from local upwards. Obviously my local city council can't do much about water quality because of issues arising in a town 3 counties away. That is why the state should be involved.

In Texas we have been fighting Clayton Williams and his attempts to steal our water while it flowed in New Mexico for years. Its a problem I am very familiar with.

But imagine how much better it would be for Flint, MI to be able to redress grievances in a bottom up manner regarding their water, rather than trying to get the 10000 monkeys slinging poo in Washington to actually do something other than give press conferences. How much easier would it be for them to vote out someone without having to fight 49 other states and their voters (with their own concerns).

There is a reason we need small government.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: supermarket2012
So, someone on my facebook posted that Trump removed the Clean Water Rule.

Thank god! Trump just keeps getting better and better!

So far, he's brought back the incandescent lightbulb and eliminated the new 'energy saving' dishwashers (this is hilarious - and his full rant about dishwashers is much longer)...

My wife and I just went through hell trying to buy a new dishwasher, because the damned things just do a crappy job compared to the 15 year old one we had to replace, and we found out its because they use only 3 gallons of water per cycle compared to 15 or so the old ones used - and require a 4 (!?!?!?!?) hour cycle to do the best job, compared to 45 minutes for the old one.

Diswashers thank god for Trump!
edit on 29-1-2020 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: supermarket2012

Here is one example of how the Clean Water Act was subject to federal abuse and overreach:

This Veteran, Who Supplied Water to Firefighters, Went to Prison for Digging Ponds
Here is a podcast on the same subject: Horror Stories of EPA and Corps Overreach under the Clean Water Act

There are countless examples of ordinary individuals persecuted under the Clean Water Act -- NOT big corporations polluting our waterways -- for activities on their own properties.

I have not checked out the new rules, so I cannot comment on the advantages/disadvantages of the new rules. But there is no doubt that the old rules were hurting individuals -- particularly farmers and ranchers -- and their property rights.

There was a little more too it than that.

He didn't go to jail for digging a pond. He went to jail for digging it without obtaining the proper permits or adhering to the proper codes when digging it. He was informed that the ponds violated code but he continued anyway.

Had he filed the proper papers and followed code he'd have been golden.

He tried to circumvent building code and zoning laws. Rather than paying the money to put in a proper rain water storage reservoir he dug a big hole.

He'd have gotten into similar trouble if he'd built a barn, or paved a road under the same circumstances.

As he had code violations, he'd still go to jail under Trump's new definitions.

The moral of this story is to obey zoning laws.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join