It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside the horrific, inhumane animal markets behind pandemics like coronavirus

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:
(post by tanstaafl removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Oh boy S&F for the possibilities...

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'm thinking not just animal markets, but I heard seafood mentioned regarding this virus.

I'm not saying the entire South African coast here is polluted, but let me tell you, if most Chinese people knew what a disgusting chemical/sewage mixture some of our coastal waters were, they wouldn't eat the abalone that's illegally poached here.
southafrica.co.za...

Sometimes you can smell the yucky sea from clicks away.

Here's just some of the industrial and pharmaceuticals found in our fish recently, and that's off-shore!
The illegal abalone exported to China is poached in a real cesspit.

The ocean around Cape Town is so polluted that pharmaceutical and industrial chemical compounds are accumulating in the flesh of fish caught off the coast. Scientists from the University of the Western Cape’s chemistry department have found that fish caught by small scale commercial fishers in Kalk Bay are contaminated by antibiotics, pain killers, antiretrovirals, disinfectants, and industrial chemicals.

www.timeslive.co.za...

Well, you wanna strip our wildlife into extinction?
Bon Appetit!

Not saying any connection this time necessarily, but I've been thinking for a while, the way we abuse our water and oceans - eventually something's gotta give.
edit on 29-1-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

My wife works for one. Their chickens live in air conditioned and heated climate controlled environments and are fed a scientific based diet. They also produce their own corn so as to control use of pesticides and other chemicals. Free range is not free range as in your video. They live in huge free range buildings.

The buildings may be free range, but the natural environment of chickens is outdoors and their natural food is not corn. Would your wife be willing to post some pictures here of these chickens enjoying their free-range life?

Also, the big buyers have unannounced inspections so the things that happened in the Hoad's Farm videos never happens here.

Hoad's Farm also say they have regular unannounced inspections, and I believe them.

According to the ASPCA:

...the Agency will continue to allow producers to self-define claims like “humanely raised” and “pasture raised,” leaving consumers in the dark about what these claims actually mean. In its submitted comments, the ASPCA urged FSIS to require producers to include photographic or video evidence in the documentation they submit to support their animal welfare claims; however, the Agency rejected this approach.

That sounds like 'hidden' to me.

So dead chickens among the living? So a producer who sells 30,000 eggs a day is going to jeopardize the entire operation as disease can travel fast. No owner who ever risk that.

Remember, the key word here is 'hidden', as in ATS, or things we have to work a little to find out about, even if it's just using a search engine.

21 Things the Egg Industry Doesn't Want You to See PETA

I don't want to embed this video: Undercover footage of inhumane treatment of chickens at New England's largest egg producer 2016
edit on 29-1-2020 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RauTheDestroyer
Yulin Dog Meat Festival is real ! Over 10 million dogs a year are killed for their meat in China !

How many cows are killed every year for food? How many chickens are killed every year for food. How many pigs are killed every year for food? Are you saying it's ok for them to be killed every year? At the end of the day, some chinese people eat dog, and have been doing so for thousands of years. Yes, I agree that it's disgusting how these animals are sometimes killed in china, and that needs to stop. But if you are going to be horrified with cultures eating dog, then why not be horrified with the millions apon millions of animals slaughtered for food?

There are numerous similarities between pigs and dogs, and both species have long since proven to be loving and affectionate pets. So why does no one mention mention pigs? It's because eating pigs meat is excepted in the West, so why except that if you are horrified at chinese eating dog meat?

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

edit on 29-1-2020 by RauTheDestroyer because: Double

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
It's one thing to criticize food storage and preparation, but in my opinion entirely another thing to criticize people for their cultural choice of culinary diet.

Given China's population, maybe we should be thankful they eat a diverse set of things.

Just saying.

However, because of their "culinary cultural choices" in what they eat the Chinese are more propensed to acquire more diseases and it is more likely for a pandemic to start in a country such as China because of those same "culinary choices."

edit on 29-1-2020 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Buy American and allow USA to trade with the UK.

Chlorine-washed chicken and hormone treated beef? No thanks.
US animal welfare legislation is much weaker than in Europe and the UK. Livestock has a higher prevalence of disease and a greater reliance on antibiotics. But you probably don't get told that.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: EvilAxis

I have first hand knowledge of what goes on you do not. Those American's who also practice good hygiene also have decent teeth, weight and longevity.

But you probably don't get told that.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I know how the plant here is run. Your about as disingenuous as PETA is with their video as birds aren't crushed alive nor are they scalded to death alive. Actually, the best humane practice for processing is by electrocution. That was learned from observation and study of the large processors throughout Europe.

So what came first the chicken or the egg?

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

...the things that happened in the Hoad's Farm videos never happens here.

What about the above video of New England's largest egg producer?

I know how the plant here is run.

Would you post some pictures of it?
edit on 30-1-2020 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I spoke with several who work in that plant and they said that you obviously are affiliated with a group aligned with PETA. Actually, they discovered several PETA employees who were undercover for PETA. Typically the guys filming are the same ones employed by a public and private company and they are assigned to take care of those chickens under stress so that employee is actually perpetuating the condition for a filmed stunt. As for the pile of eggs on the floor obviously companies exist so their products are destroyed so they loose money and go out of business, right? Another stunt?

So why is it that these same organizations in the UK and USA don't protest those in the Government assigned to maintain laws in the chicken industry such as OSHA or the FDA or USDA?

Why?

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I can't speak to that particular plant but I visited one in central Kentucky several years ago. Now I was raised a country girl in a chicken-fighting family. Helped tend upwards of 200 chickens on the family farm, 50 or so of which were fighting cocks that were pitted against others just about every weekend in fights to the death. I'm not defending THAT at all but after visiting the farm that produced eggs, I couldn't stand to even LOOK at eggs for close to a year...

You wanna talk about inhumane....

My dad's fighting chickens lived outdoors, either in pens that were moved to fresh grass weekly or on string tie outs that were relocated onto fresh grass/soil as needed. They lived good until it was time to fight... and then they either lived (and received the best veterinary care) or they didn't.

The chickens at this farm were in cages so small they couldn't move, so tight that their feathers pushed thru the meshing & were broken off. I can't remember what the flooring was made of to keep them from escaping but eggs dropped into a sort of trough below the cages to be collected. The smell was horrible... the suffering enough to put me off eggs for a long time.

And then I made the mistake of asking what happened when a hen quit laying. I'll never eat commercial chicken soup again. And if there wasn't a market for them for that, they just tossed them into the huge vats holding the chicken poop produced by the hundreds of hens in the barns.

Nope. Nope. Nope. That visit gave me nightmares for months.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join