It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on N95face respirators please.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
With everything that is going on in Wuhan, China I have decided to prep for a global outbreak, just in case, and have seen posts in other threads with people mentioning they are buying N95 masks. I would rather purchase now before stocks are exhausted or prices hiked up to riduculous amounts.

Looking on Amazon, there are many choices, but I am not certain what all the numbers mean, and if one type is more effective than others. I have also noticed a lot are actually shipped from China, which maybe I'm being over cautious, but I want to avoid.

So my question is, is there a particular mask type just for viruses, or can traditional work/dust masks with filters work. I also have an 11 year old child to think of. Some claim to be washable.

Is Amazon the best place to shop for them?

Some are just basic masks:

Basic mask

Some have a filter on them:

Filter Mask

Filtered mask

And some are a full on gas mask type thing:

Full on mask

I personally like the full on mask type which seem more sturdy to me, but again, I need to understand what the numbers signify.

Any advice from people who have used them, or work in an environment that uses masks and could point me in the right direction would be greatly recieved. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MissBeck

Looking at your links the first step would probably be not to order them from China.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Yeah, I can source them locally, but just need help and advice with what I am buying. The links are for visual aid only. I am UK based and will try to find a UK supplier.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
NAa reply to: MissBeck

NAPA (where I work) and auto stores and hardware stores have n95 masks

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Ummm...I always use the 3M masks and respirators...extremely good quality...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: zenartist

Thank you. So you recommend I purchase 'N95' ?

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Thank you. I will google what the 3M stands for. I am a woodwork tutor at work, and we do have basic masks for preventing inhaling sawdust and such, but I don't have the information at hand to what protection they give, but they are the basic type, no filter or anything.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Spend your money elsewhere.

If a virus is going to take us out, N95 masks will not help anyone.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

Oh Man! So there's no point me going the full hog and getting us both a hazmat suit as well then.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

whatever you decide, buy it now while still available. I ordered my N95 masks yesterday but it'll take about 2 weeks to be delivered, not 3M. This morning I remembered I had 4 3M N95 saved from mixed prepping previous order. We are 4 people at home, got each one in a Ziploc bag and distribute them.

Don't forget to get safety glasses, need to wear them with the mask.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
Spend your money elsewhere.

If a virus is going to take us out, N95 masks will not help anyone.

Before I retired we used the N95 around inmates that had Drug resistant TB, Measles, chicken pox, ect.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Yeah, I have full on safety goggles here, due to DIY I do at home. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I can see this mad flu hysteria getting somewhat out of hand.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

So are you saying the N95 requirement is a must then? I understand the 95 means 95% effective?

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

Yeah, they work in isolated environments and are a good idea.

If it's a global pandemic? You can't wear that thing 24/7 and if you do..it will eventually become useless. Just breathe and die.

Ha!

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I could see me turning up to work like that. The adults I work with have learning disabilities and other stuff. They would have a field day!

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

Thank you. That's why I got confused with the ones that are supposed to be washable. I understood these are disposable things only. Hence my preference to a full on gas mask type where you can change the filters.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Ummm...dude-ette...you be like...Andy shakin that thang...

Way to sport a bubble...

Weet...whew...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I took a quick glance at Screwfix who do mouth masks and full face respirator masks for between £16 and £100+. Not sure how easy it is to buy from there as I think they are trade only. Also not sure if the filters deal with germs as it’s usually for dust, asbestos etc.
edit on 25/1/2020 by firesnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

They are a lot better than a regular mask, the full face protection with replaceable filters would be the best way to go but depends on how much money you want to spend and how or if this threat really takes off. There are P99 masks that are even better yet but even more expensive then the N95.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join