It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on N95face respirators please.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: zenartist
NAa reply to: MissBeck

NAPA (where I work) and auto stores and hardware stores have n95 masks

Bought a crateful of these a few Christmas's ago when the missus caught a cold and refused quarantine. Complete waste of money! Even wore it in bed for 2 nights but still eventually came down with the sniffles, selfish cow!
edit on 25-1-2020 by DougHole64 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2020 by DougHole64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MissBeck

This might help once you get your mask.

User Seal Check: An Essential Everyday Test Employees wearing tight-fitting respiratory protection should perform a seal check each time they put on their respirator, and are required to do so by OSHA regulations unless the use is voluntary. A fit test ensures that the respirator is able to fit and provide a secure seal, but a user seal check ensures that it’s being worn right each time. Users can either perform a positive-pressure or negative-pressure seal check: A positive-pressure check means blocking the exhalation valve on a half or full facepiece respirator or covering the respirator surface on a filtering facepiece, usually by using your hands, and trying to breathe out. If slight pressure builds up, that means air isn’t leaking around the edges of the respirator. A negative-pressure check involves blocking the intake valves on a half or full facepiece respirator or covering the respirator surface on a filtering facepiece, typically using your hands and trying to breathe in. If no air enters, the seal is tight. See the product User Instructions for more details.

www.3m.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DougHole64

Oh my goodness. Where were you planning to quarantine her?

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

Thank you for that. I'm hoping I don't have to ever wear one, but will copy the advice.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I really wouldn’t worry about respiratory protection if this does get out of control unless you are immunocompromised from a disease or genetic condition or have damaged tissue that may be more prone to infection from infections, aspiration diseases like reflux, autoimmune issues, smoking etc.

In the media I see people with procedure masks walking around, you might as well use tissues instead and hold them over your mouth. While n95/99/100 will offer much better protection, most people that use them outside of the field are not properly fitted for the device or use them with facial hair etc. People also wear them far too long and they lose effectiveness.

The only way you will get protected from aerosol is using positive pressure purifying devices with the proper filtration system. And who really wants who wear that hot thing around.

I would be more concerned with fomite or inanimate object transmission, use hand sanitizer and effective disinfectants and make sure you use correct contact time, most people don’t. If it gets to a pandemic level, stay out of health care facilities unless absolutely necessary and use aseptic methods to protect yourself.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Aye if you don't go in with something, your apt to come out with something else.

Take, for instance, the state of the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, and it's poor safety and track record since its opening.

Yes, I know what you mean. Where I live we have had our main hospital in Stafford hit the news recently:

Stafford Hospital

Heck, I can't even get a doctors appointment at my local surgery within 3 days.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   

If you are down south it's maybe different, but if you phone the surgery before 9am, they generally manage to squeeze you in somewhere that day up here.

Thing is where flu and this Coronavirus are concerned, your taking the same chances as everyone else that attends the GP practice, meaning every surface, doorknob and lift buttons, touched, sneezed or coughed upon, could be covered in the little blighters.

To be honest, if our NHS services were ever forced to contend with a serious viral outbreak, we would be hard pushed to manage in any sort of effective manner.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I sell safety equipment, I would not use a N95 it will not stop organic vapor.
You need something that would stop that, an N95 is for basic dust like you encounter sweeping a floor or working in a wood shop. Also these cheaper masks have poor seals on the face, even if it is stopping stuff, a poor seal is letting it through.

I would look for a good face seal, activated carbon and something capable of filtering vapor. Also a P100 HEPA.

edit on 26-1-2020 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

We use them in biosafety level 3 labs and healthcare settings. They are rated by the CDC to stop spread of TB etc. when used and fitted correctly. Of course they all come with the warning label “will not eliminate exposure to or the risk of contracting disease.” They are tested with .3 micron particles.

The thing about these is that they are better used to be a physical barrier to mouth and nose from splatter not aersolized particulates with virus attached. Procedure masks are even worse and what I usually see people wearing.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Thank you for the advice. I will look into those items.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissBeck

Thank you for the advice. I will look into those items.

This link from a manufacture of filters is of interest
MOLDEX STATEMENT ON OUTBREAK

Their very best disposable for medical protection
MASK

Also this

Are N95 Masks Really Effective against the flu?A little online research will reveal that the flu virus is .17 microns in size. Clearly smaller than even N100 masks can filter out. However, it is critical to understand that the flu virus does not float in the air by itself. The flu virus is transported from patient to patient on droplets of excretions from sneezing and coughing. These particles are typically 5 microns or larger. When a sick patient wears a respirator, the respirator can be very effective at preventing infectious material from leaving the patients body, and when worn by healthy individuals, it prevents inhalation of said material. More importantly, wearing a mask is a excellent way of preventing the user from rubbing or touching their mouth or nose, which is a very high risk factor. At the end of the day will an N95 mask guarantee to protect you from the Flu? No. But it can substantially reduce your risk or receiving or transmitting the disease.

So a well fitted good quality N95 is better than a poor fitted N100, the amount of straps and how they sit on the head and/or are tightened also is a variable. 3M is totally sold out of their medical N95 teal colored mask that health care people buy, and they say it's because of this scare.

3M MASK
edit on 26-1-2020 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but the numbers pertain to the % of covered particulates filtered out.

95 = 95%
99 = 99%
100 = at least 99.97%

The "N" refers to being for where there are no oils in the air. (The typical/expected use is industrial settings.)

R is for use when oils are present, but for a limit of 8 hours.

P is for when oils are present, for longer duration use.

For the purposes of guarding against the disgustig slobs who cough out into the air (I'm getting real close to punching the next one I see, as it should be considered assault/battery), N95 is good.

Not fool-proof, by any means, but its going to reduce the particulates that viruses can hitch a ride on by at least 95%.

I've always kept a supply of N95 masks on hand, and I rotate the stock by using them when I'm sanding, spray painting, etc. I don't keep a ridiculous amount, just enough to ride out a serious pandemic.

What I've added to the arsenal recently is a reusable N99 with replaceable filters. Just the one, in case anything ever got really serious, I'll be the one running out on supply runs, etc. The rest of the family wouldn't be anywhere there's other people until its run its course.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

That is brilliant information. Thankyou. I ordered a couple of N95 masks with spare filters last night, but am still looking for a UK shipped fuller face mask for like you said, in case things got really serious. Thanks for adding more great info.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The panic over this is laughable....the common flu is far more deadly and I didnt see people discussing respirators for that

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Stu112

Yes, I see what you are saying, and hopefully in a month or so I can look back at this thread, laugh, and ask myself whatever possessed me to make it?

But....If stuff does hit the fan, I've got myself a little prepared. No harm in that whatsoever. Thanks for your post.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Save your money. This coronavirus is just a chinese flu.
Worst of them in modern history was SARS and it killed less then 800 people.
This one will be nowhere near that.
Dont fall for the alarmism.
In America last winter alone flu killed 80000 people.
That's 80k.
So far 56 in the most populated country on the planet?..
Spend your money on something more practical like the new Quickshot Launch Fleshlight-

www.fleshlight.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I lived through SARS and MERS in Asia. I lived in China for over a decade.

N95 will do fine for going outside to drive, walk to work and small shopping trips. I use 3M N95s or 99s. I used those in China during MERS scare and on polluted days. I used one for 2 days after the Tianjin explosion coz I lived in that city.

I wouldn’t recommend wearing them all day for days on end.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   
My husband did research....and the virus microbes are pretty small....too small, he stated, than a mask can "filter".....he said a respirator is the only TRUE way to prevent the virus from getting through. That being stated, the best thing for ANY virus or bacteria is to KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN and AWAY FROM YOUR FACE!!!!! I have worked in medicine for 30 years and this advice is the best I can give for ANY illness that is infectious. As far as "spray" from sneezes and coughs......I am anti-social (PTSD) and do not get too close to people unless I am paid to do so during my role as an ophthalmic technician....so I tend to mostly get ill from my husband.....anyhow, we bought about 12 N95 3M masks....and read that they are not good enough. I figure this kind of mask is better than the ones I wore in the operating room that you se on everyone's face in China right now.....

originally posted by: MissBeck
With everything that is going on in Wuhan, China I have decided to prep for a global outbreak, just in case, and have seen posts in other threads with people mentioning they are buying N95 masks. I would rather purchase now before stocks are exhausted or prices hiked up to riduculous amounts.

Looking on Amazon, there are many choices, but I am not certain what all the numbers mean, and if one type is more effective than others. I have also noticed a lot are actually shipped from China, which maybe I'm being over cautious, but I want to avoid.

So my question is, is there a particular mask type just for viruses, or can traditional work/dust masks with filters work. I also have an 11 year old child to think of. Some claim to be washable.

Is Amazon the best place to shop for them?

Some are just basic masks:

Basic mask

Some have a filter on them:

Filter Mask

Filtered mask

And some are a full on gas mask type thing:

Full on mask

I personally like the full on mask type which seem more sturdy to me, but again, I need to understand what the numbers signify.

Any advice from people who have used them, or work in an environment that uses masks and could point me in the right direction would be greatly recieved. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
selfish cow? You obviously are a slob and didn't wash your hands and must pick your eyes, nose and teeth a lot...….selfish cow, indeed!!!

originally posted by: DougHole64

originally posted by: zenartist
NAa reply to: MissBeck

NAPA (where I work) and auto stores and hardware stores have n95 masks

Bought a crateful of these a few Christmas's ago when the missus caught a cold and refused quarantine. Complete waste of money! Even wore it in bed for 2 nights but still eventually came down with the sniffles, selfish cow!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JonathanNicholas

Really? I appreciate your reply but the link was a little too much. Thanks anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join