It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basic Pandmeic Preperation or Whats in your pandemic prep bag?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

What preparations have I taken..?

Absolutely none..!!

I live in a fairly remote area and can just wait it out if it comes to that.

Of course, if this virus mutates and turns everyone into mindless flesh eating zombies, I'm going to have to start taking some precautions..

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: Lumenari

You missed iodine, both for radiation issues and basic first aid.

You also missed lead... something to get rid of human parasites.

I most certainly did not forget lol. Betadine for wounds. For radiation specific which i also have is potassium iodide

Antiseptic: Betadine, cloahexadine, heck even alcohol or soap. Keep it clean

I agree with the other stuff especially the ability to protect you and yours, but I was going for pandemic specific stuff LOL

I missed that... my apologies.

In the event of an actual pandemic though I would also prepare for the collapse of our economy and what comes from that.

Just an assumption.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Geographic isolation and my trusty pump action, can't infect me if you can't get near me.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:22 AM
link   

a reply to: JoseGarcia

Thats is a great point and something we do daily especially after a shift in the hospital

Sorry to bother but I'm very curious what you were referring to in this reply.

You & Big Furry are 2 of my favorites hereon.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Amoxicillin... you can still purchase it at pet stores online as Fish-Mox.

I'm curious about this line. Is this for human use, or just pets please?

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   

We don't have a bag per say but we have a small stick of food. We have a ton if dried beans that can last year's, we have black beans, garbanzo beans, navy beans, butter beans, kidney beans, 3 different types of lentils, and 3 different types of split pea. All if these are in large canning jars with air removed from them. We have 3 large canning jars of bay leaves, with air removed from them. We have rice, same situation.

We have guns, a huge stockpile of bullets for each gun. We have traps, we have a portable water filter.

We have Band-Aids, antiseptic, large bandages, split bandages, alcohol, alcohol wipes, Q-tips, a stock pile of toothpaste,hand soap, shampoo, razors. Large stockpile of baby wipes, we have 1 year old twins.

If need be we have land up North that we own. We own both of our vehicles. We funds so if we need money we can withdraw those funds.

We have face masks that are really good, we all have eye goggles, for shooting practice, we have disposable gloves.

Yeah I think with 6 month supply of beans, traps, and bullets, we wouldn't be starving. Plus, my husband and I know how to garden.

My only issue would be formula and diapers. I guess in a really bad situation, just have them diaper free and pee outside. Learn how to drink from a regular cup. We would be fine.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
[
I know a few people who had a colostomy bag. I am glad that I am in my sixties, because I would never get surgery that would lead to me having one at my age.

Yeah I hear you. For us its pediatrics so its usually a bridge to allow part of the gut to heal then it gets taken down so 90% of the time its temporary

Two of the people I know who had those bags had them for three years before they were taken off. I do not know how long the third person I know had hers on, her symptoms came on very quickly, she wound up in the hospital, then had the surgery and within three months she died after taking part of her colon out. Now if I was fifty, I might consider it, but not anymore. I lived a full life and worked way too much, I put in my time. I will however experiment with natural ways to cure things, I do not have to worry about someone else getting complications, I am an alchemist kind of person, try things on yourself before others so I do not hurt anyone else if it has side effects.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad1964

Congrats on your isolation.

However, when I hear of an airborne virus . . . I tend to recall a research study that asserted that

the atmosphere is soooooooo mixed that they 'calculated' that every person on the planet has breathed at least some atoms/molecules that every other person has breathed who has ever lived.

That does not mean that everyone on the planet breathes the same few molecules. i.e. not every one breathes molecule #17, molecule #8,482 & molecule #12,687,923, 451,731, etc.

Maybe it's clear enough what I'm trying to say. I just got up. LOL.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Did you also prepare for the HIV/AIDs pandemic - you know, the virus which has killed over 75 million people to date and killed over a million a year during its height?

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndigoLLC
Did you also prepare for the HIV/AIDs pandemic - you know, the virus which has killed over 75 million people to date and killed over a million a year during its height?

Yes I (we) did by educating ourselves, and refraining from IV drug use, sketchy tattoo parlors, condoms, etc, deleting Tinder/Grinder from my phone, etc etc etc

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissBeck

Amoxicillin... you can still purchase it at pet stores online as Fish-Mox.

I'm curious about this line. Is this for human use, or just pets please?

Its for pets. Most medications are similar but there can be differences like additives etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Thanks Fred. I thought it meant humans may be able to take animal antibiotics!
It would save a trip to the docs if SHTF if that was the case.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:51 AM
link   
So far I have bought n99 masks and an Israeli gas mask, getting non perishable food next.

I live quite a long distance from town in a tiny house on 300ac off grid, I already have-

Large veg garden
First aid kit
Weapons
Solar power
Water tanks
Gas refrigerator
Gas cooker

Reposting this from updates thread.

originally posted by: primalfractal
A few videos on masks and decontamination.

There were some other ones I watched that basically said to spray yourself all over with rubbing alcohol when you come home. Remove ppe, then wash hands.

An extra step would be to take off clothes, put them in bleach/antiviral water, then shower.

Coronavirus: what type of mask should you get
youtu.be...

Coronavirus mask fitting, pressure checks
youtu.be...

Four step removal of PPE
youtu.be...

Military mask decontamination
youtu.be...

Military decontamination protocol
youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I tried to start a similar thread a few days ago. Unfortunately it was pretty much ignored, and now stagnate.

My Thread

Hopefully this one will continue, so we can bounce ideas off each other.

I did make a post in the Coronavirus thread about food. I will re-post it here for those interested. It is only about food, nothing else, and is a pretty quick overview.

I am going to give some tips, and this is for everyone. I think it is good information, and I don't want to hold on to it if it can help someone. I am not a prepper per se, but I have been preparing since the Ebola scare in 2014. I am not panicked, and have continued daily life. I have done some research, and believe I am ready to "shelter in place" if the SHTF.

1. Calories are King.
If you are looking into emergency food, or even just canned goods, forget about the number of servings advertised. It means nothing. You need to calculate the number of calories per day that you and your family need. The very lowest an adult can survive on is about 1,300 calories a day. Maybe a little lower for short periods of time. That number would not be comfortable in the long run, and after a few months you would be pretty thin and frail.

An adult male can make it by pretty easy on 2,000-2200 calories a day, and an adult female on 1,800 to 2,000 calories a day. Children need less, but it depends on age. I have a family of 5. The oldest boy is 17, so I calculate him as an adult. I use a rough figure of 2,000 calories a day for the adults, and 1,500 per day for the two smaller ones. So my family would need approximately 9,000 calories a day to be comfortable. Right now, in emergency food, I have about 1,600,000 calories. I count all the servings by the number of calories per serving for each box, bag, or can. 1.6 million calories will last us about 177 days, or 5.9 months.

2.Reasons for Rice.
Rice is going to be one of your best friends in an emergency. It is easy to cook, high in calories, and will give you that nice full feeling. It may get boring after a while, but it will keep you alive. I have about 150lbs. of rice that makes up a percentage of my total 1.6 million calories.

3.Protein is Paramount
Make sure you have good sources of protein. You can't live on rice alone. Meats of course are good protein, but so are a lot of beans. My protein consists of dehydrated meat in 30 year cans. It is emergency rations, so it stays sealed until needed. They also make a soy based, meat flavored substitute. I hate soy, but in survival mode, it will do. I also can hunt small game on my land if needed.

4.Spice is Nice
In survival mode even emergency food can get boring. Make sure to mix it up, different meals, and spices. Bullion cubes can flavor things up nicely. Gravy mixes and other spices can go a long way to make things more palatable.

5.Fruits are Fun
Again, most of the fruits and veggies I have are in freeze dried form. However, I also do have some canned. Canned takes up more room, and heavier. Plus when you figure in the cost per calorie count, freeze dried is a better deal. A mix of both makes for some choices. Just doing things like adding some dried strawberries or bananas to your oatmeal will keep the boredom at bay. Plus you need the vitamins and minerals from such foods.

6.Starch is Safe.
Potatoes, pasta and the like are good sources of starch. Plus in dry form they are easy to keep. They are also easy to prepare, and give you longer term energy.

7.Do Dairy Dry.
Running to the store to get eggs, milk and butter will be a no go in a "shelter in place" situation. Dry milk or milk substitute are good for cooking and drinking. You will need more than you think, so make sure you get enough. Eggs and butter also come freeze dried. These items do not last long enough when fresh, and people use more than they realize.

8.Flour is Power
Flour for making bread is a must. Remember you will also need oil, eggs, yeast and butter. You can also grind your own if you get hard red wheat. You can also make cakes and other things with flour to help break up the food boredom. I have a number of 5lb. bags, and will be getting more. I vacuum seal them, and then freeze them for a day to two. The freezing will kill any worm larva, which happens naturally in flour. That way it will keep longer.

There is so much more, I could go on and on, but that is a good start. The main thing to remember is calorie counting, and avoiding food boredom.

Don't panic, but be prepared. I hope this will help someone out.
edit on 11-2-2020 by MrRCflying because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
whats in your bag?

STAT News story titled "The Time To Worry Is Now: The Coronavirus In China Could Threaten Pharma's Ingredient Sourcing", besides the huge percentage of prescription meds we're already getting from China, over the past decade, China became a bigger player in the market for active pharmaceutical ingredients, which are the building blocks found in each drug, with China also home to 13% of the facilities that make ingredients for medicines sold in the U.S...

allnewspipeline.com...

the key word is 'Supply Chain & Supply Safety'...strategic & existential Factors which the USA has become lax about, in having 13%-30% of medicine pipelines relying on China (an avowed enemy state)

for instance...read your packaging of anti-bacterial ointments...bet cha it says Made in China.... also many ingredients of your Rx compound Meds are likely controlled/monopolized by China suppliers ! do we got a covert assassin in our medicine cabinets ?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hydrogen peroxide, liquid and powdered. Bleach, Iodine, anti-biotics, tea tree oil, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, salt, baking soda, bow drill, magnifying glass pendant on a leather shoelace to wear around my neck and several other items to light a fire. Medical masks and disposable vinyl gloves, a rolling machine to make fabric bandage rolls, muslin and old clean white sheets, stretch bandage wraps, first aid kit and instructions for various issues, rocket stoves, vitamins and minerals.

I'm on 8.5 acres one mile from town, have chickens, ducks and geese, dogs and several feral cats. Lots of wild turkeys, pheasants and tons of rabbits, deer and garden space etc. Also 4 lg freezers and lots of cases of dehydrated and canned foods. At least one years worth of food. My own well and a few generators, some small solar chargers for cell phone and some other gadgets.....just in case. An lp fire place with a 500g tank, I can easily convert the fireplace to a wood burning fireplace, I will also be putting in a wood stove next year. Manual and electric or gas wood working tools to build things with. Machetes, several solar lights, shovels and basic rural living tools.

If electricity is available, things will be fairly easy. I also have hideouts on my property, several out buildings, lots of old growth etc. The biggest issue would be my dogs if I were trying to hide because, well, they bark and follow me everywhere. They do have their own kennels though.

I plan on staying in place if at all possible. Having friends in various states helps but bugging out isn't feasible in my location if it's winter season. High winds and negative temperatures - nope.

Plenty of guns and ammo, tp, baby wipes, high powered microscope, some other sciency stuff. Lots of books for learning and pleasure reading, family board games, cards.

You can only plan for so much. Most of what I try to have is knowledge. It's free and I can carry it anywhere, use when I want and share it with others. It will help me when I don't have all the other stuff I listed above.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm thinking of making a trip to a Dollar Tree Store, which in the US, everything only costs a $1, as opposed to a Dollar General Store, where everything costs more than $1....to see what rubbing alcohol/med supplies can be found, or general medical supplies, or water, or cheap canned food. A can opener...….

I have been stocking up my pantry and on water anyway.....I don't know about anyone else.....but it's so hard to predict what will happen. What's the most important thing? TP? Masks? What about our pets??

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I got a dozen dod pandemic kits months ago before they recently sold out and gave some to friends and family. When I distribute such items, they go to whom ever is in the emergency/shtf group.

DoD Pandemic Plan PDF doc

N100 would be not, I'm looking for some extras to add to my prepped pile.

General rule is I'll stay away from people, during outbreaks and use sanitizer on all nouns when I do go out and about.

Public objects are just as likely to be contaminated as are people.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Put your phones in a re-sealable sandwich bags, they work fine
adds protection,water resistant and keeps the nasties off.

edit on 12-2-2020 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lynzer
I'm thinking of making a trip to a Dollar Tree Store, which in the US, everything only costs a $1, as opposed to a Dollar General Store, where everything costs more than $1....to see what rubbing alcohol/med supplies can be found, or general medical supplies, or water, or cheap canned food. A can opener...….

I have been stocking up my pantry and on water anyway.....I don't know about anyone else.....but it's so hard to predict what will happen. What's the most important thing? TP? Masks? What about our pets??

Dollar Tree/Store is a good idea for some things. DON'T buy a cheap can opener. It won't last but a few weeks. Spend the 14.00 or so and get one made in America...it will last a lifetime and is guaranteed as such. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I purchased an EZ-DUZ-IT and it's great. I know an elderly lady who has one that is ancient and hers works flawlessly. You can buy them online or at Walmart.

Sometimes the Dollar Store has good prices. Especially if you don't need a lot. It isn't necessarily that the price per ounce is better per se, you're just purchasing smaller quantities. Which is fine, better some than none.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join