It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basic Pandmeic Preperation or Whats in your pandemic prep bag?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I thought this would be a good time to talk about specific Pandemic Prep items. This is not a general Prep thread and if you want more information on general prep saunter over to the most excellent Survival forum.

So in addition to our INCH bags, car setups, and general survival kits at our home, we have a medical/pandemic specific kit and we have mini kits within our INCH bags and cars.

Basic supplies:

Disposable Gowns

Gloves

NIOSH N95 masks: This is the gold standard for protection in a bio-hazardous environment. They will filter out almost 95 percent of particles (you can also use R and P95's which relate to their resistance to petroleum but are significantly more expensive) including viruses in theory. They do make N99 masks, but they are significantly more expensive. They are not foolproof and have to fit properly. We do a fit test and testing once a year. So practice and play with them. They come in different sizes so plan ahead. we also have bandanas to cover the masks they may help pre-filter (doubtful but who knows) and more importantly hide that you are using an N95 so someone will not try to take it from you

Goggles to protect eyes.

Hand washing gel, soap etc. Wash wash and wash your hands

A good basic first aid kit: Use your judgement in how elaborate you want to get with it. Mine is pretty extensive, but I also have the ability to put in chest tubes etc. If you don't know how to use it, then you don't need it. I STRONGLY advise you take a backpacking or wilderness medicine course.

Antiseptic: Betadine, cloahexadine, heck even alcohol or soap. Keep it clean

A solid escape plan to clear the area if it is feasible, and multi area, local and statewide rally points if you guys are separated.......

Solid and reliable water filter (Which you should have anyway)

Knives, multitool, etc

Trauma sheers: cheap, light, and will cut almost anything

Antidiarrheals (random antibiotic administration and unsanitary conditions may prevail) and this may kill you faster than the disease you are dealing with

Fluid with electrolytes (you can get powdered sports drink stuff etc to cut down on weight but you still need clean water to mix it with)

Drugs: This is a controversial decision and its complicated by several factors. One most will only be able to go with oral administration (unless you have a health care person as part of your group) and acquisition and maintenance of an adequate supply is challenging as well.

Note none of these do anything for viral based only bacteria:

Ciprofloxin aka Cipro. Used for Anthrax

Doxycycline: This one is for Plague and Tuleremia. It covers alot of different infections and can even has some anti-malarial functions as well

Streptomyacin: This one is also good for Plague and Tuleremia.

Vancomyacin: A true heavy hitter. No specific bacteriological warfare functions but good to have in a kit

There is not alot you can do with viruses. Specific to small pox is Vaccinia immune globulin (Helps with preventing complications) and the vaccine. If you get the vaccine within 3 days of exposure, it can help. However, they are not available commercially and have to be released by the CDC so its not really a viable modality .

Try to have enough medication that your party routinely takes and idealy a copy of medical records or better yet a discharge summary of someone was recently let out of the hospital which gives a super condensed medical history meds etc.

Steer clear of other groups unless necessary

Isolate sick members of your party and bury your dead quickly if you must but observe full precautions

Conserve supplies

Avoid hospitals again unless necessary (its a great place to get sick)

General links
www.ready.gov...

So whats in your bag?

edit on 1/24/20 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

So whats in your bag?

A flask of 100 proof Southern Comfort to clear my sinuses and ease my scratchy throat.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
My health determines my reaction.

I will shelter in place and I have little choice.

Have lots of food. It is not hard to do.

I know the US likes having farting beans around but I don't. Lots of rice in smaller bags then store them in anything that is proof against rodents and ants. Add cans of stew. If you don't like rice then plain spaghetti is an obvious choice.

Stay home, wait it out. Have a water tank and a lot of bottled water.

Don't fall for people in uniforms doing 'Health Checks.' They may be infected.

Lastly, vitamin supplements!!!

ETA. Beer or wine to break the monotony ... but in small amounts or you will run out. Don't forget your 2nd Amendment.

P

edit on 24/1/2020 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

An excellent list but I like to think a little further ahead then 2 years so...

I grow Echinacea, Garlic, St John's Wort in the garden.

I have elderberry trees.

So I've got anti-viral covered.

You missed iodine, both for radiation issues and basic first aid.

Amoxicillin... you can still purchase it at pet stores online as Fish-Mox.

Bleach... both for water purification and general cleaning.

Everyone's needs will be different in an actual SHTF scenario but I'm already set up to bug in for a long time.

You also missed lead... something to get rid of human parasites.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

ETA. Beer or wine to break the monotony ... but in small amounts or you will run out. Don't forget your 2nd Amendment.

You should be able to make your own wine or hard cider.

It's also a good trade item to have.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Shelter in place for most situations of this type.
Multiple water purification methods. Cholinated water in abundance on hand. No worries there.
Easy month or more worth of food on hand.
Small supply of doxycycline on hand.
Lots of first aid supplies.
If it gets so bad it's time to run, I will just sit it out until there is no doubt, then go out with a little dignity.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   
We have to shelter in place, or load up before things get out of control and head to my folks' in the country to wait it out.

We have some sealed drums of dried beans and rice on top of similar stuff set by. Hopefully, all we'll need is a self-isolate.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

We're just going to embrace the madness like 95% of the population as quietly go into the great beyond.

Have some loved ones too dependent on modern medicine to even contemplate going "Road Warriors".

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
I thought this would be a good time to talk about specific Pandemic Prep items. This is not a general Prep thread and if you want more information on general prep saunter over to the most excellent Survival forum.

So in addition to our INCH bags, car setups, and general survival kits at our home, we have a medical/pandemic specific kit and we have mini kits within our INCH bags and cars.

Basic supplies:

Disposable Gowns

Gloves

NIOSH N95 masks: This is the gold standard for protection in a bio-hazardous environment. They will filter out almost 95 percent of particles (you can also use R and P95's which relate to their resistance to petroleum but are significantly more expensive) including viruses in theory. They do make N99 masks, but they are significantly more expensive. They are not foolproof and have to fit properly. We do a fit test and testing once a year. So practice and play with them. They come in different sizes so plan ahead. we also have bandanas to cover the masks they may help pre-filter (doubtful but who knows) and more importantly hide that you are using an N95 so someone will not try to take it from you

Goggles to protect eyes.

Hand washing gel, soap etc. Wash wash and wash your hands

A good basic first aid kit: Use your judgement in how elaborate you want to get with it. Mine is pretty extensive, but I also have the ability to put in chest tubes etc. If you don't know how to use it, then you don't need it. I STRONGLY advise you take a backpacking or wilderness medicine course.

A solid escape plan to clear the area if it is feasible, and multi area, local and statewide rally points if you guys are separated.......

Solid and reliable water filter (Which you should have anyway)

Knives, multitool, etc

Trauma sheers: cheap, light, and will cut almost anything

Antidiarrheals (random antibiotic administration and unsanitary conditions may prevail) and this may kill you faster than the disease you are dealing with

Fluid with electrolytes (you can get powdered sports drink stuff etc to cut down on weight but you still need clean water to mix it with)

Drugs: This is a controversial decision and its complicated by several factors. One most will only be able to go with oral administration (unless you have a health care person as part of your group) and acquisition and maintenance of an adequate supply is challenging as well.

[SNIP]

So whats in your bag?

THANKS for a great and important post.

I didn't see one item in your list that has proven critical for me.

I've had chronic sinus infections for most of my 73 years until the last 4-5 years. I can't remember when I last had a common cold or any other such illness.

I first found the saline solution & the Neil Med squeeze bottle available at Walgreen (now available also at Walmart).

That beat the threatening infection back but took fierce diligence using 1/2 to a full bottle of saline at the first hint of a symptom feeling--AND--every succeeding symptom tickle in my nose etc.

And, each application would last only 3-4 hours and took 3-5 days to whip the threat totally.

Then I found the best (tiniest sized particles) high quality colloidal silver at

www.msminerals.com...

I started using that in the squeeze bottle. THE SILVER was/is MUCH BETTER.

It only requires 1-3 squirts per symptom tickle. And the prevention of any symptoms lasts 8-12 hours. And it whips the threat back entirely within 1-4 days--usually 1-2.

Initially, with the silver, I had about a 3-8 second ice cream headache sort of feeling. But I no longer have that.

I also use BLACK-SEED OIL and OREGANOL A brand of oregano oil--maybe not an oil--feels more like a water based product. Not sure.

And, of course turmeric--evidently more potent with black pepper.

I have read some claims that putting tissue between layers of the normal masks helps.

THANKS A LOT FOR THIS THREAD. MAY SAVE SOME LIVES.
edit on 2412020 by JoseGarcia because: addendum

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Used to be semi prepped to bug out and have a place to go, but now taking care of my Mom we would likely shelter in place unless we really had enough lead time to bug out. Have a couple of big rubber maid containers full of stuff We'd have the basics covered but need to get some more antibiotics antiviral herbs and oils etc. A water bladder for the tubs, for example, need to get one of those. Anything over 4-6 weeks would be an issue but in our current location Id imagine after 3 weeks or so all bets are off, and we would be in constant home protection mode anyway, once the trucks stop delivering. It's a crappy location to defend lots of windows and sliding glass doors.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Pandemic bag? Is that something like a colostomy bag?

We have the house stocked up with food so we do not have to go out for months if there is a pandemic. We have some of the masks, just dust ones, but that is basically all you need if you have to go into town. We can do alright without electricity and have wood and a woodstove, we should be alright here, I sure am not planning on leaving the house and getting stuck somewhere where there could be infected people all in a bunch..

I have some supplements that can help in the case of a pandemic, Even the meds they give you in the hospital or the doctors prescribe do not work much of the time. I will go to the doctor if I have to, but not if I just got a bug and can deal with it.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I have based my water treatment and disinfecting on potassium permanganate in several different strength solutions. It is said to work on some viruses. I hope it will work on this one.

Potassium Permanganate: Why You Need It in Your Survival Kit?

I think I will get a couple of small pump up sprayers tomorrow. Would make decontamination easier.
edit on 1 24 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I got a six-pack of beer, a can of Lysol and a .45

Let's party!

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

You missed iodine, both for radiation issues and basic first aid.

You also missed lead... something to get rid of human parasites.

I most certainly did not forget lol. Betadine for wounds. For radiation specific which i also have is potassium iodide

I agree with the other stuff especially the ability to protect you and yours, but I was going for pandemic specific stuff LOL
edit on 1/25/20 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

No, the stoma adhesive expires way way to quickly to keep on hand LOL

True story if you ever need a practical demonstration Boyles’ Law have a well sealed ostomy bag and lose pressurization in your aircraft. The two words you are looking for are "Gross" and "Ewwwwwww"

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JoseGarcia

Thats is a great point and something we do daily especially after a shift in the hospital

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

No, the stoma adhesive expires way way to quickly to keep on hand LOL

True story if you ever need a practical demonstration Boyles’ Law have a well sealed ostomy bag and lose pressurization in your aircraft. The two words you are looking for are "Gross" and "Ewwwwwww"

I know a few people who had a colostomy bag. I am glad that I am in my sixties, because I would never get surgery that would lead to me having one at my age.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   

[
I know a few people who had a colostomy bag. I am glad that I am in my sixties, because I would never get surgery that would lead to me having one at my age.

Yeah I hear you. For us its pediatrics so its usually a bridge to allow part of the gut to heal then it gets taken down so 90% of the time its temporary

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I home can a lot of different foods, but one that is important to me is my chicken/turkey vegetable soup. When I feel a cold coming on, I start eating my soup and I can't count the times it's beat back the cold and I didn't get sick. Now, in my poultry soup (whether I use turkey or chicken), I use green beans, potatoes, carrots, corn and peas. In addition to salt and pepper, I also use lots of celery, garlic and parsley flakes. I think it's the combination of items I use that truly works for me and when I have brought this soup to sick friends, it's helped them as well. Having a cold is a minor disease, but it sure can make you feel awful and not want to do anything but lie in bed. It's almost like regular vitamins which help strengthen a body's natural disease fighting abilities.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Read the book One Second After and you will have a good idea how any of it matters..great book although about an EMP shows what it would be like.
edit on Janam31amf0000002020-01-26T01:12:06-06:000106 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join