It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major eruption in the Philippines ash up to six miles high VIDEO

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The Taal Volcano has erupted as of 12 January and it is presently sending ash up to 6 miles high. The AMAZING power such a sight displays is really unbelievable to those of us who have never been near a major eruption....Well to me it is.. youtu.be...

The situation as far as evacuations and the prediction of even a bigger eruption... youtu.be...

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 01:01 AM
link   
i live about 70 km from the volcano. we have had a bit of ashfall, just a light dusting so far. and we have had warnings across cellphones warning of ashfall, small rocks falling from the sky, and asthma due to the ash . friends were reporting slick road conditions from the ashfall last night. and the international airport has been shut down with flights canceled due to the safety issues of the ash in the air. and it is expected that we could get a major eruption out of it.

it has been a major tourist attraction. it is a volcano on an island in a lake, the lake actually being a caldera of a much older and bigger volcano. they have raised its status to an Alert Level 4, indicating a hazardous eruption is possible within hours to days. The alert system has five levels with Alert Level 5 meaning a hazardous eruption is in progress.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Good luck, and stay safe as you can.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Stay safe generic đź‘Ť

a reply to: generik

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I assume you are prepared with quality face masks and are quick to wear them.

I survived Mt St Helens in Spokane. Was dark in the middle of the day from the ash fall.

Didn't go out for 2-3 days, IIRC. Left the car parked a couple of blocks away. Did not want the ash to get in the engine.

Many businesses with large buildings had to get crews on the roof to push the ash off rather than risk collapse from the weight.

Prayer for those put in harm's way by this volcano.

I'm not sure I'm understanding some of the reports. Are the scientists/officials saying a bigger eruption appears to be on the brink?

Please be wise. Medical personnel made abundantly clear to us (my wife was an RN) that ash in the lungs was extremely hazardous--could easily become cement-like in the lungs. NOT good if one wants to continue living!

May God be with all at risk there.

edit on 1312020 by JoseGarcia because: emphasis

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Wilfires in Australia and California and now Volcanos erupting. Where is Greta Thunberg to tell these things that they contribute to the nefarious global warming. Go tell the fire and the Volcano :" How dare you! ".
edit on 13-1-2020 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoseGarcia
I assume you are prepared with quality face masks and are quick to wear them.
I survived Mt St Helens in Spokane. Was dark in the middle of the day from the ash fall.
Didn't go out for 2-3 days, IIRC. Left the car parked a couple of blocks away. Did not want the ash to get in the engine.
Many businesses with large buildings had to get crews on the roof to push the ash off rather than risk collapse from the weight.
Prayer for those put in harm's way by this volcano.
I'm not sure I'm understanding some of the reports. Are the scientists/officials saying a bigger eruption appears to be on the brink?
Please be wise. Medical personnel made abundantly clear to us (my wife was an RN) that ash in the lungs was extremely hazardous--could easily become cement-like in the lungs. NOT good if one wants to continue living!
May God be with all at risk there.

masks are an issue. most are sold out, and they have jacked up the price. but we are not getting a lot of ash, just a light dusting so far where i am. the car wash next door is doing booming business washing the ash off of cars.

they have been evacuating those close to the volcano who are at risk. which is pretty normal when a volcano is suspected of going off. schools and government offices have been closed. and yes it seems that the scientists are thinking that a bigger eruption is likely to happen. although it could be days or weeks for it to happen. or of course it could happen at any time.

a friend of a friend who is supposed to be flying back to the US has been told it will be at least a week before they can fly out. although there still appears to be some flights in and out of the airport. but most flights have been canceled or delayed. and Clark field North of Manila is still open, and will be unless conditions cause ash to move up there. and some flights from Manila have been rerouted to Clark.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:32 AM
link   

THANK YOU for your updated report.

Some reports from some news agencies are saying flights may go out Monday. But I doubt anyone knows. Likely to depend on winds & severity of ash eruption, I'd guess.

Glad Clark Field is an option to some degree.

Some sources are saying several layers of a wet bandana or T-shirt etc. can be a pretty good alternative for standard masks. Some say tissue paper between the surgery masks & the mouth/nose can be almost as good as standard masks.

Glad you are managing so well.

I understand there's some hazard for the eyes, as well. I suppose the enclosed plastic eye shields for wood working etc. might be helpful with the eyes.

Anyway--glad you are wisely careful.

May God be with you all.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I know it sounds funny but in case of emergency you can make a mask with a bra.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JoseGarcia

well i'm up in the city and just under 70km from it. conditions of course are worse the closer you get. on the news it looks like areas much closer to the volcano have several inches of ash on the ground. made me think they need some good old pickups with snowplows for the roads.

they have requested a 17 km radius evacuation zone around the volcano. which does make sense. an area with about a half million people. and a tourist area to boot. in fact friends were having lunch in a restaurant which looked to be close to the lake on Sunday and took some video of the ash and steam being spewed out of it. and there are pictures and video from a wedding in the area which uses the plume for an interesting backdrop going around on Facebook and the news. and y our suggestion about wearing eye protection is good. on the news tonight they showed video of someone who i believe was driving out of the area. his glasses were completely covered by ash.

some of the reasons for concern over this eruption is that there is apparently a significant lava pool below that has not yet come to the surface. as well as the fact that it is an island surrounded by water. which can have a rather dramatic effect when hot lava hits it. there is also concern about tsunamis that could be created by tremors caused by the eruption.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
I know it sounds funny but in case of emergency you can make a mask with a bra.

it not only sounds funny. but it looks funny. there have been several pictures in a motorcycle group i am on with people using bras while riding their motorcycles. masks are actually really common for people to wear who spend a lot of time on roads and when riding motorcycles or bikes everyday. you have to remember that soot and pollution are the norm here since many vehicles, especially public transit like buses, jeepnies and tricies spew out heavy black smoke laden with soot. as well as the millions of people who do all their cooking on open coal fires adding their soot and polution into the air.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

This is an amazing eruption!
Over the years I have seen some beautiful and scary photos and videos of lightning generated by volcanos-I think it happens when tiny particles are shot into the air,they generate huge amounts of static electricity and we see lightning.

But I have never seen any quite as intense as from this volcano.
Check out the first 20 seconds of this video to see what I mean-

Wow mother nature,you are the boss!
I hope everyone manages to evacuate in time,as this could get a lot worse they say.
The roads in the local area are already clogged up with lots of volcanic fallout,which has turned to thick mud,making road travel very sketchy.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
and now we have a politician wanting to seed the clouds to make a rainstorm. to deal with the ash.

MANILA, Philippines — Senate President Vicente Sotto III is proposing that cloud seeding operations be conducted in areas affected by the recent eruption of Taal Volcano to help clean up fallen ash and debris.
“I’m proposing cloud seeding action in the Taal Volcano (eruption) affected areas…I sent word to (Executive Secretary Salvador) Medialdia,” he told reporters in a message.
“Water removes debris…Let’s not wait for the rain,” he added.
“Water would alleviate the present ashfall bad effects,” he said in a separate message.

Read more: newsinfo.inquirer.net...
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

for some reason this sounds like a very bad idea.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik
a reply to: JoseGarcia

well i'm up in the city and just under 70km from it. conditions of course are worse the closer you get. on the news it looks like areas much closer to the volcano have several inches of ash on the ground. made me think they need some good old pickups with snowplows for the roads.

they have requested a 17 km radius evacuation zone around the volcano. which does make sense. an area with about a half million people. and a tourist area to boot. in fact friends were having lunch in a restaurant which looked to be close to the lake on Sunday and took some video of the ash and steam being spewed out of it. and there are pictures and video from a wedding in the area which uses the plume for an interesting backdrop going around on Facebook and the news. and your suggestion about wearing eye protection is good. on the news tonight they showed video of someone who i believe was driving out of the area. his glasses were completely covered by ash.

some of the reasons for concern over this eruption is that there is apparently a significant lava pool below that has not yet come to the surface. as well as the fact that it is an island surrounded by water. which can have a rather dramatic effect when hot lava hits it. there is also concern about tsunamis that could be created by tremors caused by the eruption.

WOW--half a million people. Sounds like huge logistics problems, to me.

Yeah, Spokane at least had snowplows when Mt St Helens blew.

I saw the wedding pics with the volcanic plume in the background. What a memorable day to share with one's grandchildren. . . . assuming they are part of the half-million that survives in good shape.

I've read about the magma pool. The frightful prospect of water mixing with that must be greatly concerning to officials & informed residents alike. Do you know how fractured the rocks, caldera the island & lake bowl are? Sounds to me like it is kind of inevitable that the water will connect with the magma.

What are the projections about the size of the explosive result? I haven't found estimates about that.

What's the area covered by the worst eruption of this thing in history?

Anyway--I trust & pray that your good horse sense will help keep you & your family out of serious trouble. Do you have a rural escape area with family that you could go to if pressed to do so by unfolding circumstances? Not sure I'd want to be in a large city in a horrible catastrophe.

Cheers.

edit on 1312020 by JoseGarcia because: adendum

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I'd think you are right. The ash is already heavy. Water saturated ash has to be a lot heavier.

IIRC, there was an issue in Spokane about the ash clogging up the sewers.

Then there's the problem of ash/mud flowing out into roadways to impassable depths.

Glad I'm not an official having to make plans for such issues & contingencies. Doodness!

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I wonder if we are going to get some world weather changes like with Mount Pinatubo? The cloudy crap for a year or more, the mild nuclear winter scenario.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I wonder if we are going to get some world weather changes like with Mount Pinatubo? The cloudy crap for a year or more, the mild nuclear winter scenario.

I wondered about that, too. I haven't read any 'experts' predictions on that score. I assume someone will pontificate on that prospect soon.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   

How "major" are they talking?

Is there risk to the lake itself? That would be a catastrophic explosion.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Taal definitely has that potential, but they don't think it's going there this time. They think it will stay in the VEI-3 range.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Some footage of the volcano erupting makes it look like it was putting on it's own New Year celebrations! Those lightening strikes looked fantastical!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join