It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major eruption in the Philippines ash up to six miles high VIDEO

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JoseGarcia

i certainly don't know what the condition of the caldera and lake bowls are in. but i do know the basics of what it is. you see that 17x20km main lake that the island with the lake, that the volcano is sitting in is in fact a volcano caldera.

the greatest recorded eruption was from May 15-Dec 1 1754 (and of course on Dec 3 and 4 they apparently got hit with a formidable typhoon). and seems to have completely destroyed towns within about 19km of it. although i dare say that the one that formed the caldera of the main lake would have been much worse.

we should be far enough away here in the city that we are in no real danger. but no we don't have any family here in this country at all, my family is all in the US and Canada.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

It was a VEI-5 back in '54. There don't seem to be any signals that it's going that big this time. And anything that would blow the caldera itself bigger would send up even bigger signals than that. It is still in that phase of its life, but there would be major, major warning if it were headed that way, and that part of the world really watches its volcanoes.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoseGarcia

originally posted by: generik
a reply to: JoseGarcia

well i'm up in the city and just under 70km from it. conditions of course are worse the closer you get. on the news it looks like areas much closer to the volcano have several inches of ash on the ground. made me think they need some good old pickups with snowplows for the roads.

they have requested a 17 km radius evacuation zone around the volcano. which does make sense. an area with about a half million people. and a tourist area to boot. in fact friends were having lunch in a restaurant which looked to be close to the lake on Sunday and took some video of the ash and steam being spewed out of it. and there are pictures and video from a wedding in the area which uses the plume for an interesting backdrop going around on Facebook and the news. and your suggestion about wearing eye protection is good. on the news tonight they showed video of someone who i believe was driving out of the area. his glasses were completely covered by ash.

some of the reasons for concern over this eruption is that there is apparently a significant lava pool below that has not yet come to the surface. as well as the fact that it is an island surrounded by water. which can have a rather dramatic effect when hot lava hits it. there is also concern about tsunamis that could be created by tremors caused by the eruption.

WOW--half a million people. Sounds like huge logistics problems, to me.

Yeah, Spokane at least had snowplows when Mt St Helens blew.

I saw the wedding pics with the volcanic plume in the background. What a memorable day to share with one's grandchildren. . . . assuming they are part of the half-million that survives in good shape.

I've read about the magma pool. The frightful prospect of water mixing with that must be greatly concerning to officials & informed residents alike. Do you know how fractured the rocks, caldera the island & lake bowl are? Sounds to me like it is kind of inevitable that the water will connect with the magma.

What are the projections about the size of the explosive result? I haven't found estimates about that.

What's the area covered by the worst eruption of this thing in history?

Anyway--I trust & pray that your good horse sense will help keep you & your family out of serious trouble. Do you have a rural escape area with family that you could go to if pressed to do so by unfolding circumstances? Not sure I'd want to be in a large city in a horrible catastrophe.

Cheers.

Your optimism is inspirational.

edit on 1312020 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
All the lightning inspired my imagination...envisioning a real battle between Thor and Loki

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
At 1:10 of the 2nd video you can see the actual size of the entire cauldron.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Time-lapse of the lightning storm generated by the volcano , .35 on the vid looks like the opening for a Rammstein show.

Spectacular.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Wow I never knew volcanoes created St. Elmo's Fire. How is that so? I thought it took water and metal floating high above the surface to make it...but that's definitely it.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: generik
I know it sounds funny but in case of emergency you can make a mask with a bra.

Why wait for an emergency... Wink-wink...

Wishing peace and safety for the good people of the Philippines.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I wonder if we are going to get some world weather changes like with Mount Pinatubo? The cloudy crap for a year or more, the mild nuclear winter scenario.

Taal definitely has that potential, but they don't think it's going there this time. They think it will stay in the VEI-3 range.

I just looked it up and found out that it isn't that big of a volcano.

What gave me pause is that the Troposphere extends an average of about 6.5 miles upward from the earth's surface. It is between 4 miles near the poles and 12 miles near the equator I believe. The Troposphere is 75% of the atmosphere's mass and where our planet's weather occurs. Just above that is the Tropopause boundary layer where the jet streams are.

So it seems likely that the ash is getting into the jet stream system that travels west to east, straight to the U.S. Of course the volume of ash would be really small by the time it gets to our west coast. Then again, Australia and the Amazon are burning, plus HAARP and chemtrails, and . . .

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

It may be small but it is certainly powerful. Overnight eruptions sent lava (not ash) over half a mile into the sky. Latest geological surveys show magma is rising quickly and the authorities are now recommending evacuation of around 450'000 people from a 14km zone around the volcano.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Seems the planet Earth is waking up from it's long but rested slumber. Not a good time to live near a volcano.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: kiliker30

Oh, i don't know. Volcanoes don't (directly) kill as many people as you would assume. There are obvious exceptions to this rule (Krakatoa and Laki for example) but generally speaking volcanoes give warnings that they are due to erupt - so people can leave.

On top of this, volcanoes are great for ecology and agriculture as well as providing many minerals.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

authorities are now recommending evacuation of around 450'000 people from a 14km zone around the volcano.

That 450,000 people live within 14km of an active volcano just goes to show how stupid people can be.

Would you live that close?

P

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Earth should have banned volcanoes decades ago! Think about how much pollution these things cause.

And for what?

At least a diesel truck ships my goods and coal plants provide electricity. Volcanoes provide very little other than an astronomical amount of greenhouse gases; not to mention how they deplete breathable air quality for bees and the endangered Oompawakala marsupials.

If nature refuse to ban them, then Mother Earth should have to purchase carbon credits when eruptions do occur.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
My girlfriend is from the Philippines (Manila, Quezon City).. She has a lot of family still over there, roughly 30-45 miles from the volcano.. Scary stuff, especially when you consider the amount of people in that region and the potential of the volcano exploding. There is worry a tsunami could be caused with the water around the volcano. Hopefully its just letting out some stream/ash and calms back down, but if a big explosion does happen, lets pray everyone is able to get away from the blast radius/danger zone.. Scary stuff, but yes, nature is incredibly beautiful, even when its being scary as it shows its power.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

People live where they can afford and as close as possible to where they work. Do you have any idea at all how many people there are in Naples, Italy? Because they, along with one of the most beautiful historic cities in the world are parked at the doorstep of Campi Flegrei -- the literal "fields of fire."

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

well that's not good for global warming...that must be a crap load of CO2 being dipsersed

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Oh, it's that big. What do you think made the lake it sits in?

It just isn't going to enlarge its real estate anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
Sort of a deal with the Devil. Some of the richest and best soils on earth are the slopes of volcanoes ... and they don't erupt all that often ... really.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
That there my friends is mother nature's answer to global warming...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join