It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the belief in god considered a mental illness ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
So I was reading an article in French news about an attack with a knife that happened in France some days ago. The attacker, who had recently converted to Islam, yelled "allah wakbar" before attacking. He is dead now.

The article I was reading(only in French), stated that a man who screams "allah wakbar" before attacking, can't be considered mentally ill, but to the contrary must be considered in full possession of his mental abilities, because a truly mentally ill guy wouldn't look for an excuse to kill people. Now this guy had a history of mental problems. But that's not what I really want to talk about.

What I was thinking while reading the article is, can belief in god be considered a mental illness in itself ? Could having a firm belief that there are angels around you, that god hears you and that you can hear god, be considered a mental illness ? Does having imaginary friends or enemies constitute a mental illness ? If so, is mankind suffering from a massive mental illness for a very long time now, and did it give mankind some kind of evolutionary advantage ?

Let's take for example the fact that during our evolution, our cells integrated certain viruses that proved to be useful in the long run, and thus the cell started to reproduce the viruses at the same time that it reproduced itself, and now these viruses are part of us. In a way, we are sick, we are infested, but we feel good. Could this be the right analogy to describe how the belief in god has infested us ? Great works have been accomplished in the name of the belief in god(s) : cathedrals, paintings, countless books, etc.. It pushed us to learn, to try harder, to cooperate. It was useful from an evolutionary point of view, so we kept it.

But if belief in god is/was so beneficial, why would we want to consider it a mental illness ? Are all the wars made in the name of god in the history of mankind, worse than all the wars made in the name of money, or resources, or pride, or fear, or in the name of anything else ? I won't copy here the "official" definition of "mental illness" that can be found in any dictionary, but I will give my definition of "mental illness". I think that anything that makes you become unadapted to reality, to "what is really going on", can be considered a mental illness, and thus it ranges from benign to malignant. On this particular subject I created this thread some time ago, where I talk more about my definition of mental illness.

And just now I remember this great scene in the movie Contact with Jodie Foster : she is supposed to be the one who is going to meet the aliens. But her friend who is a priest tells her something like "Since you are an atheist, do you think it is appropriate, that you, an atheist, who thinks that the large majority of humans on this planet suffer from a mass hallucination, be the one to represent all of mankind ?".

So, do you think I would be the right choice to meet the aliens ?

I will leave you with these links :
The Human Brain Evolved to Believe in Gods
Ancient Viruses Are Buried in Your DNA

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Could the belief in politicians ?

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

FYI: You left out the word "be" in your title, and god should be God. You have 2 hours to make adjustments, should you choose to do so.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   

You can't describe "faith" to people like you, so I don't even bother. You have just as much right not believing in a God, as I do believing in one.

Faith in a God has nothing to do with a malignancy or mental illness and I'm offended by your assertion that it is.

Personally, the belief in God and prayer has helped me cope with my depression and the guilt I feel for wronging many people in my life. If that makes me "mentally ill" in your book, then so be it.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
No, believing in god is not a mental illness. Neither is not believing in god. Everyone has beliefs and beliefs steer our path in life. The French were correct when they said that he is not mentally ill. He may have other mental issues but he was just following his beliefs when he attacked. Much of what we do and how we interpret information is based on our beliefs. When you wash your car because you feel that society stipulates that cars should be clean, that is a belief, not actually a mental issue. Consensus of the time determines what is sane or insane.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Ummm...certainly...my good man...

Provided of course...one actually had facts...proof...and evidence...(citations please)

To the contrary...

Lacking such...one can hardly be in a position to champion ones own...unprovable conjecture...over any other...unprovable conjecture...can one...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Could the disbelief in God be considered a mental illness?.

It's old argument and only the weak seek to use the mental illness card to try to shove there own belief's onto other's often against there will.

Atheists despite being BELIEVERS in there being no god - with absolutely no proof to back up there claim's - often regard those that do believe as somehow deficient, believers on the other hand think they are a bunch of misguided delusional twerp's.

Meanwhile the Agnostic's sit by the side line's and play spectator eating bag's of pop corn while each side tries to score goal's against the other.

The Philosophers sit down and think what are those idiot's going on about and then debate whether or not they exist themselves.

And you call the lunatic's insane.

BUT as a Christian myself I have to say most religious people are Wrong (well I would now wouldn't I) and so too are the atheists but as for the agnostic's I respect you but come on get out of the middle of the road before you get run over by both sides.
And those philosophers, what the hell are you smoking.

edit on 10-1-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

What I was thinking while reading the article is, can belief in god be considered a mental illness in itself ? Could having a firm belief that there are angels around you, that god hears you and that you can hear god, be considered a mental illness ? Does having imaginary friends or enemies constitute a mental illness ? If so, is mankind suffering from a massive mental illness for a very long time now, and did it give mankind some kind of evolutionary advantage ?

I have had to explain this a few times on ATS . Sit down! .. I have some bad news for you .. ready! .. Part of your brain is missing and you are incapable of seeing what the rest of us see. Your right brain has atrophied and is completely dominated by your left brain. Don't be concerned, the condition is reversible and you will be in the good hands of the millions of people in the world who would like to help you.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I have observed that humans have an incredible capacity to pollute, degrade, turn to evil virtually anything we touch. Religion is no different.

I prefer authentic spirituality vs religion. Christ Himself was most hostile to the *religious* elites of his dusty pathed years.

Hospitals, schools, community building, fresh water etc have been spread abroad for centuries by authentic Christian missionaries.

There have always been horrors perpetrated by religionists of every flavor.

Won't stop me from supporting the authentic.

Research has shown that the 'indiscriminate anti-religious' (typically atheists etc) are MOST prejudiced, hostile, angry, prone to violence etc.

Also, the Supreme Court, IIRC verified that atheism is a religion.

Next most negative & destructive are the 'extrinsic' religionists--the hypocritical folks who wear their religion as a coat for business or other motives--not authentic.

The LEAST racist, prejudiced negative are the authentic INTRINSIC religionists who walk their talk.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JoseGarcia

Research has shown that the 'indiscriminate anti-religious' (typically atheists etc) are MOST prejudiced, hostile, angry, prone to violence etc.

I'm callin cheeze on this one. What research? prove it with a credible link, not some bogus right wing evangelical vlog.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
"Could the belief in God considered a mental illness".
FYI: You left out the word "be" in your title, and god should be God. You have 2 hours to make adjustments, should you choose to do so.

Forget or pay no mind to the dogmatic belief systems that powerful others created (they are false and meant ONLY to entrap you into slavery). You have free will and can discover that Kingdom within you that exists outside/beyond this physical life (if so inclined). Sit quietly and listen to your inner selves trying to speak to you/teach you tell you about your past lives and purpose.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Yes - but it’s all down to indoctrination.
They usually get them when they’re young, sunday school and putting the righteous fear of God into their little minds.

It’s humans misleading humans.
I suspect the mental illness aspect isn’t so much caused by believing there is a God, it’s when evidence against the existence of a God is presented.
When fundamentals that were taught since early childhood get challenged with facts, that’s when they start loosing it.

Many people require the God-crutch to survive.
This world can be a difficult one.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

You can't describe "faith" to people like you, so I don't even bother. You have just as much right not believing in a God, as I do believing in one.

Faith in a God has nothing to do with a malignancy or mental illness and I'm offended by your assertion that it is.

Personally, the belief in God and prayer has helped me cope with my depression and the guilt I feel for wronging many people in my life. If that makes me "mentally ill" in your book, then so be it.

So, you believe in a magic man in the sky, but poke fun at people who trust in the science confirming climate change? You're an idiot.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:29 AM
link   
How do I know which of these voices belongs to God?

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

One tends toward life, liberty, overcoming, honorable values.

The other tends toward anxiety, death, ugliness, manipulation, control freakism etc.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoseGarcia

One tends toward life, liberty, overcoming, honorable values.

The other tends toward anxiety, death, ugliness, manipulation, control freakism etc.

So he's the one counting to Sixtyten?
edit on 11-1-2020 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

There is no science affirming anthropomorphic--man caused gore-bull worming.

Our cow farts are not raising temps similarly on Neptune, Titan, Mars, etc.

I think the quality scientists calling out the man-caused warming hoax now total more than 500.

Besides all that, even IF ALL the global countries implemented the most Draconian strategies, they'd be able to modify temps by only a FRACTION OF ONE DEGREE. Dumb. At great human cost.

The orbital dynamics of very long term cycles is conclusively the major cause. Wake up.

And similar orbital dynamics research affirms that around 2025-2035 a new mini-ice age is slated to begin. The European gal doing that research accomplished the most thorough, detailed, exhaustive research I've ever come across on any topic. The data is unassailable.
edit on 1112020 by JoseGarcia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Sorry. I don't understand your reply.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Considering how many people there would be in history who HAVE believed in god it would be a big call to label all those souls mentally ill would it not.
Be that as it may i suppose it is possible all those souls have had mental issues after all we are only supposed to be able to use 3 - 10% of brain capacity so that % alone would imply indeed a mental illness for lack of capacity.

But -

For me the mental illness is the belief in TOTALITY of scripture as humans seem able to read and decipher nonsense in the written word EXCEPT when it comes to scripture.

An equally important argument is whether people who DON'T believe in God have a mental illness or people who believe in aliens..... both god and aliens are to date UNSEEN ENTITIES.

So -

The real question here is do people who believe in faith have a mental issue ? -

A stupider question i think has never been pened, faith is natural to most not something impossed so hard to believe a natural state of mind is defined as mental illness.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Maybe desperate Muslims living in poverty has more to do with poverty than religion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join