It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greenland Shark Has A Lifespan Of 400 Years

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

imagine that they swam the seas while blackbeard sailed over them.
this one is 512 years old:

edit on 15-12-2019 by oloufo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I agree. I am one to notice the fall of classic culinary arts, and beyond. Western society has gone on a separate path. How many cooks and chefs can actually make and work with a egg white raft to clarify a stock?

Not many, not lets go deeper, how many chefs and cooks can smoke fish, can fish, or dry fish in a traditional way? And if you go even deeper, how many normal people can do that?

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: maxey
Tudor shark do do do do do do

Oooh I hate you for that lol

Shame We had to cat h and kill them to discover how long they have lived..

Baby shark do do dodo do do.. hate you !!!!

edit on 15-12-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I agree. I am one to notice the fall of classic culinary arts, and beyond. Western society has gone on a separate path. How many cooks and chefs can actually make and work with a egg white raft to clarify a stock?

Not many, not lets go deeper, how many chefs and cooks can smoke fish, can fish, or dry fish in a traditional way? And if you go even deeper, how many normal people can do that?

If people wanted to smoke, can, and dry fish they would....but it's fish....so they don't.
I notice no one's forgotten how to broil a steak or cook up a yummy cheeseburger.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Good thing they do not have to work for an employer for three hundred years. I would hate to have to work till I was three hundred to retire. Those sharks just have to hunt and fish, that isn't really working, I consider that a hobby.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo

imagine that they swam the seas while blackbeard sailed over them.
this one is 512 years old:

I wonder what has kept them from becoming the only creatures in the ocean by now. Perhaps what keeps their numbers in check is being prone to illnesses or perhaps a propensity for attacking and killing each other?

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
How the hell do they know that? Did they count the birthday candles? Check the birth certificate?

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Good thing they do not have to work for an employer for three hundred years. I would hate to have to work till I was three hundred to retire. Those sharks just have to hunt and fish, that isn't really working, I consider that a hobby.

But if fish were swimming all around you through the air all the time and all you had to do was reach out and grab one...would that really be much of a sport?

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
How the hell do they know that? Did they count the birthday candles? Check the birth certificate?

No, they used science.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

LOL! But, but...we would be aging much slower. They don't reach sexual maturity until 150.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

originally posted by: rickymouse

But if fish were swimming all around you through the air all the time and all you had to do was reach out and grab one...would that really be much of a sport?

I consider eating fish one of my favorite sports. I go to the all you can eat whitefish fish fry at a local restaurant and usually get three or four refills, I eat almost two pounds of fish some times. Usually I get full off three sides of whitefish though, unless I feel super competative.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   

They slice it in half and counted the rings.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
imagine all the toxins they've absorbed in the last 80 years.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I can and do every year after I catch them myself.

Everyone should be able to.

It should be a required class in High school...

Canning and preserving (smoking, potting, curing) meats, vegetables, berries, fruits, etc.

And of course be able to make your own wine/cider/beer.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Cut em open and check the rings.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I usually try to date them by asking them what their favorite band is.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Or ask, you on Facebook, or IG?

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Hakarl

It is edible ... if prepared correctly. And there is less likelihood that Hakarl will kill you than fugu will.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I usually try to date them by asking them what their favorite band is.

We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen!

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Interesting they don't reach sexual maturity until 150.

Thats less than half the average age. That probably keeps the viable ones creating offspring, making for a robust species

I know we just increased our lifespans dramatically in the last few generations, but I wonder how humanity would be if they had kids later. Interesting thought. There would be pros and cons for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join