It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clapping Banned At Oxford University To Stop People Being Triggered.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Another day and another ridiculous gesture.

Oxford Uni has banned clapping as it may trigger anxiety. Instead they can use " Jazz Hands " which is the waving of the hands in the air.

I am waiting for smiling to be banned.

metro.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
Not an action of the university, but an action of the students union, which doesn't have the same authority.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Not an action of the university, but an action of the students union, which doesn't have the same authority.

You are correct, i should have made it more clear.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

why stop at clapping. speech should be banned as well

Oh heck lets be honest

People should be banned

"for the children"

and

"to prevent Triggering"

because logic has been usurped for "Feelings"

History should be banned too

it's says "his" so it's not "incluesive"

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

If the students voted for it, then it's their decision. If this had been forced upon them by some outside group or government agency, then I would find it appalling and worthy of rebellious pushback.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I GET TRIGGERED WHEN THERE IS NO CLAPPING.

WHO IS MORE IMPORTANT?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Back in college I had this buddy. Weird guy. My most vivid memory of him is the time he pointed out to me how ridiculous he reckoned clapping might seem to an alien race visiting earth for observation purposes.

"Everyone smash your hands together in approval!"

It does seem weird.

I didn't realize until years had passed: my weird buddy was probably an alien.
edit on 10/24/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

You're saying you'd be fine with the future thinkers and, no doubt, influential people banning a reinforcement of approval?
Someone who is 'triggered' by clapping shouldn't even be around people until they sort their heads out.

Going to a university is supposed to put you under pressure, it's supposed to challenge every concept of truth you have, but clapping too emotionally destabilising?

What happens when these people read about history? Just edit out the pieces they don't like?

Screw these people, they are all martyrs for their own selfish wants. As soon as they manipulate their own way they'll move on to something else, probably the colour of the grass in campus. These people have lost their minds, everything is a power struggle and nothing is sacred.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Meanwhile, the UK has a growing suicide epidemic among college aged people because they get plopped down into reality and don't know how to cope. Perhaps remove the bubble wrap and stop mollycoddling young people.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Sabbatical Officers Roisin McCallion said: ‘The policy was proposed in order to encourage the use of British Sign Language clapping during our democratic events, to make those events more accessible and inclusive for all, including people who suffer from anxiety.

Your single anxiety is evidently not important. The needs of the many outweigh the need of the one.
Or, in other words, your resistance is futile...you WILL be assimilated.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
eDuCaTeD pEoPlE aRe SmArTEr aNd MoRe ClEvErEr tHaN yOu

yAy, We’Re AcAdEmIcS

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

If the students voted for it, then it's their decision. If this had been forced upon them by some outside group or government agency, then I would find it appalling and worthy of rebellious pushback.

The students apparently did not vote for it, the student union did..

It reads as some students complained there were already others ways to 'clap'...

Either way, what a bloody bunch of autistic children..

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

Remember the Bounty??

"the beatings will continue until moral improves" Capt Bly

yeah that didn't work either, we need some inbetween.

I agree that mental stability is not a societal problem, it's personal..

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Bring air horns instead.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Of course, you are right. I agree. This crop of university students are being disadvantaged by sheltering them from dealing with pressure, even minor ones like hand-clapping. They will have problems in the real world later. It's a raucous world sometimes.

But, it was the students that chose the silent jazz hand method to express their approval rather than hand-clapping. Nobody came in and told the students they must use this method, so, that's why I'm not appalled.

Had the faculty and/or administration made it mandatory, I WOULD be appalled and advocate for a pushback.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Why change all the minutia of our culture with non-sense? Death by a thousand cuts it seems.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
a reply to: sooth

Remember the Bounty??

"the beatings will continue until moral improves" Capt Bly

yeah that didn't work either, we need some inbetween.

I agree that mental stability is not a societal problem, it's personal..

Ya,something in between just like their gender identities,spank em soundly because they "triggered you" then give them a "safe place" to sit out the burning feeling .

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Bring air horns instead.

I have a hand pump air horn, it never runs out..

Good for telemarketers and door to door salespeople, and Turkeys digging up the yard.

the Trukeys even answer as they run away....

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords
"The students chose" is inaccurate. This is one group of students giving orders to another group of students, without having any authority to give orders. Even a referendum would not have been binding on the minority, and this won't have been a referendum. It will have been the decision of a committee, themselves elected by a smallish group of activists who spend their time on political things while the rest of the students get on with their lives in other ways. If I was a student member of one of those other societies, I would have made a point of clapping, just to defy the self-appointed tyrants.

edit on 24-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I’m betting it has to do with the noise...

Maybe they are trying to cut out the applause to speed up the process??

Or maybe there is a specific guest or student freaked out by loud noises??

I could see where a lot of the smartest people on the planet could be pretty anti-social and not like large groups or sounds, same with combat vet speakers and such..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join