It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clapping Banned At Oxford University To Stop People Being Triggered.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Sad really. I am old enough to remember when Oxford was a very highly University and its students and Faculty were, in many cases held in high esteem.

Sounds like it has sunk to the level of University of Missouri. Makes one wonder where genuinely intelligent, studious and dillegent people go to University?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

The headline is playing up the triggering..

It is for people with ,PTSD , or other things where large groups and loud noises freaks them out..

A combat vet might be freaked out by roaring applause for example..

An autistic “idiot savant” might have an even more negative reaction ..

There are lots of places that do the mouse clap for logistical reasons.. and not to interrupt the speaker..

There is no political type triggering involved..

They literally meant it like “trigger someone’s PTSD.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

From what I read, "free speech" in the form of interpersonal discourse, i.e., "discussion" has not been banned, but it has been effectively eliminated. Conversations are unpopular because all anyone can do is regurgitate the party line. The ambitious do so, all the while virtue signalling their status as "woke".

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Oh Oxford is still considered one of the most respected, if not the most respected university in the world..

It is only in rightwing media world where all the universities are in a vast illuminati conspiracy to make conservatives look bad.. lol

To everyone else it is still just as highly respected.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I haven't seen this much candy-assed behavior since I spent that weekend in Vegas with some Oompa-Loompa's.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Maybe because you waste your time only reading conservative conspiracy sites??

In the rest of the world free speech means the state doesn’t step in and stop you from speaking..

Free speech doesn’t apply to jobs, businesses or organizations..

They can all make any rules on speech they want..

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

rightwing media world

So......you are saying Fox and Alex Jones? What percentage of audience share do you think Fox and Alex Jones have? Course, there is RT; probably has more audience than Fox and AJ combined. I used to watch Fox in the previous century when they had the endless legs show. Now I cant even get Fox. I dont know of anyone who watches TV news, come to think about it. Our neighbor friends only watch Telenovelas and variety shows on Telemundo.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If the same sound is made by slapping a face repeatedly, I'd be in favor of doing that to these trigger happy students.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

You really need to stop jumping to judgemental assumptions. The only news I watch is Bloomberg Markets and the local NBC affiliate for the weather. My go to online sources of news are the NYT, Washington Post, and The Atlantic.

Free speech doesn’t apply to jobs, businesses or organizations..
They can all make any rules on speech they want..

And that is a good thing! They have ended the old wild west days when people could openly speak their minds. Better they should be confined to PC speak!

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oh, oh, oh, Point of personal privilege.........This makes me want to install a clapper device on every electronic device these idiots own. That would teach them.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well looks like Oxford's reign of scholastic supremacy is at an end.

That's too bad.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Oh ELE Asteroid, where art thou?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

What happened in Vegas, stays in Vegas...right?

The bar is getting lower and lower for the trigger-prone. It just seems weird to have young adults need panic rooms and safe spaces to recoup from some word or sound.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

I GET TRIGGERED WHEN THERE IS NO CLAPPING.

WHO IS MORE IMPORTANT?

The blind or as 'they' like to put it *the visually impaired* will never be

able to enjoy applause.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Ugh, this age of humanity is an embarrasment...
edit on 24-10-2019 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I am really triggered by this news. Perhaps ATS should ban anyone who reports news that annoys me.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
I am waiting for smiling to be banned.

I'm pretty sure some people already consider that a form of rape.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Whom would it trigger, and how? Do they mean like in a talent contest, where you might genuinely clap for a good performance, and then give a pity clap for a bad one?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I remember when I first heard about this and asked someone. It has more to do with people who are very sensitive to loud sounds, like those with autism. I still think banning clapping is serious overkill though. If you're so sensitive to loud noises, how on earth are you going to cope in the wider world where traffic, sirens, and people talking loudly exist?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Bring air horns instead.

Love it! Nearly spat my G&T over my screen! Brilliant!

Laughing Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join