It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One way special relationship? The disgusting behaviour of the US government!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Boadicea

It was a tragic accident but if she was driving on the wrong side of the road then she was driving without due care and attention which is a criminal offence , she could be charged with causing death by driving without due care and attention.

Accidents happen but there is fault in every accident , causing death by accident still has repercussions.

And? I stated several possible scenarios in which it could have been worse than just lack of "due care and attention." We have no idea what the full extent of her contribution to the accident. It could have been forgetting (negligence), distraction (recklessness), under the influence (criminal), etc.

I have not minimized or understated anything. Nor have I presumed anything. We don't know.

And because we do not know her "crime," we do not know what an appropriate response would be. It could range from a warning, to fines and community service, to jail time.

WE DON'T KNOW!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   

WE DON'T KNOW!!!

We know she was driving on the wrong side of the road which is classed as either driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving.

The force has said CCTV of the crash in which Mr Dunn died shows a Volvo travelling on the wrong side of the road
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

We know she was driving on the wrong side of the road which is classed as either driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving.

Not from what I've seen. As I understand it, only if she was knowingly and deliberately doing something careless -- such as speeding, or using her cell phone -- then it is considered "careless" driving. Forgetting which side of the road to drive on is not considered "careless" under the law. She did not knowingly and deliberately drive on the wrong side of the road.

Even assuming that she could be considered a careless driver under the law, the chances of any jail time (up to five years) being imposed is slim to none. Rather, she would have been fined, lost points, and possibly lost her license.

I don't really think anyone crying the most really cares what happened, or about the boy, or about the parents, or about the law. If anyone did, they'd want to know what she was actually guilty of. Rather, I think those crying the most absolutely DO NOT want to know, because it isn't as easy to condemn and vilify her.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Forgetting which side of the road to drive on is not considered "careless" under the law

Correct, driving on the wrong side of the road is not careless driving. It is in fact " dangerous driving " which is a far more serious offence.

Dangerous driving is a very serious offence and the term can cover many different situations.
Common examples of dangerous driving will include driving too fast on a busy road, driving on the wrong side of the road, driving with Faulty Brakes and driving with unsecured loads.
If the police are charging that the driver’s vehicle is in a dangerous condition then they must prove that the driver was aware of this.
This can also be proven if the dangerous condition of the vehicle would have been apparent to a competent driver

www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk...

If this woman didn't know what side of the road she she have been driving on, then she shouldn't even have been behind the wheel. There are no excuses.

edit on 13-10-2019 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Thank you for the link. I can't find the darn link where I got my information now, but it clearly included driving the wrong way in careless driving. Your link was updated August 1, so I'll trust your source.

This woman is guilty of something. I would just like to know exactly what -- the full extent, whatever that is -- before screaming for her head. And yes, I do think she should be face the local legal consequences. She was initially cooperative. She did not flee the scene. She spoke with police at the scene. She was interviewed by police again the next day. Something changed. What was that? Was it even her choice whether she stayed or left?

We also very much need to know what all went on between both countries' government officials before, during and after the accident and police interviews/investigation. I don't trust either. The authorities know far more than they're telling the public. There's a whole lot of outrage being incited on a minimum of information.

I can speculate forever and come up with countless scenarios based on the facts at hand. And it's worth squat.

Whatever games government officials are playing, it is heartening that the boy's family are flying to New York to meet with the driver. And their respective attorneys. No doubt they will be discussing/negotiating some kind of civil settlement. As they should. To be frank, I'm far more concerned that the family is taken care of and gets what they need, than I am in legal consequences. Except for the most extreme circumstances, she doesn't belong in jail. Fines, community service, loss of driving privileges -- definitely!

But if that doesn't happen, then I blame the federal officials involved, because they are the ones responsible.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join