It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increased Species Sophistication Evolved Into Golden Ratio in Human Skulls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I used the word "Evolved" loosely, because this discovery is shocking and is ultimately Mysterious and Baffling.

The new study link n pertinent text:
Golden Ratio Found in Human Skull, New Study Claims

According to a team of neurosurgeons, this ratio can be observed in measurements of the human skull, but not necessarily other animals.

Reporting in the Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, a team of Johns Hopkins neurosurgeons compared 100 human skulls to 70 skulls from six other mammals, including lions, tigers, rhesus monkeys, blue monkeys, dogs, and rabbits.

In a human skull, these two numbers will give you the ratio 1.6, which, according to their conclusions, is similar to the number 1.618. However, the other species' skulls did not produce such a ratio.

"The other mammals we surveyed actually have unique ratios that approach the Golden Ratio with increased species sophistication," Dr Rafael Tamargo, professor of neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, said in a statement. "We believe that this finding may have important anthropological and evolutionary implications."

So as a species increased in biological sophistication - the measurements of their skulls approaches the Golden Ratio Phi till we reach Human Beings which are essentially on the cusp of it??

Wow!!! Ultra Cool!!!
There's something very fishy about all this! What do you guys think?

Comment away!

P.S.
Read these to learn many more incredible revelations about the Golden Ratio and it's supremacy as the spearhead of the greatest mysteries of all time - Who are we Humans and why are we here? How does the Universe work? Where did it all come from?

Is the Universe exhibiting it's own higher intelligence?? Is God real???

Secret of 42 Revealed (hint: it's the Golden Ratio and Pi)

All views welcome including dissent, just play nice and keep it clean.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Your source

Rest assured, while this is an interesting idea, it is likely to annoy a lot of mathematicians out there. That’s because there’s a lot of exaggeration and mumbo jumbo that surrounds the Golden Ratio. As XKCD webcomic points out, you can find this aesthetically pleasing spiral in many images if you try hard enough, it doesn’t necessarily mean they speak to some higher universal ideal of beauty.

Comment away!
I agree with your source.

edit on 10/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Just to piss off Phage...
I find it intriguing that both 1.6 and 1.618 add up to magic number 7 in numerology.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The rest of the article gives some dissenting views which I find to be more of a jaded and cynical scoffing rather than intellectually inclined refutation of anything specific.

So here we have it - a very shocking fact.

How the heck is it possible that the sophistication level of a species determined it's disparity from Phi in it's cranial dimensions??

This is so whack, I don't even know where to begin.

Anyone got measurements for those elongated conehead skulls (or other strange and curious skull specimens)?

We should really go back over everything again with these fresh new eyes and measure all of it!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Kid stuff.

Two thousand twenty-five is the sum of the cubes of the integers, one cubed plus two cubed plus three cubed and so on up to nine cubed, all added together. It is also the square of their sum.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Kid stuff.

Two thousand twenty-five is the sum of the cubes of the integers, one cubed plus two cubed plus three cubed and so on up to nine cubed, all added together. It is also the square of their sum.
damn it!

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well here's the big boy question :

How do you explain the trend towards this ratio in the measurements of skulls of various species and the observation that the complexity of the organism coincides with it's ranking on the chart??

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

How do you explain the trend towards this ratio in the measurements of skulls of various species and the observation that the complexity of the organism coincides with it's ranking on the chart??

As the brain gets bigger in relation to the animal the skull gets rounder.

You know, more circular.

Mystery solved.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I believe our entire mathematical reality is brimming with anomalous numeralogic mysteries.

It almost seems intelligent in it's design.

That's why I threw in "The Numbers Devil" in the second 42 thread, it pokes fun (pun intended) at the Devil/God dichotomy with mathematics in general in our society and underlined the very real mysteries it represents to our modern minds in terms of hoping to ever answer any of the greatest questions of all time.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

wait wait...so now we are talking Trig? I was sure we were still working with rectangles in regards the golden ratio?

darn...Ill never catch up
edit on 5-10-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

You know, more circular.

Mystery solved.

Sigh... You didn't even answer the question.

Why the is human skull = "Golden Ratio Phi 1.618"?

So are we Humans the Pinnacle of all organisms? What are the chances this corresponded with Phi?

Gimme a break, you haven't begun to solve this one.

Good luck trying!

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I totally agree, and btw your 42 thread is one of my favorite over the years.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

You know, more circular.

Mystery solved.

So are we Humans the Pinnacle of all organisms? What are the chances this corresponded with Phi?

Good luck trying!

I did answer it.

You just didn't understand it.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

You know, more circular.

Mystery solved.

Good luck trying!

I did answer it.

You just didn't understand it.

Im so stealing this comeback with my wife!
edit on 5-10-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

wait wait...so now we are talking Trig? I was sure we were still working with rectangles in regards the golden ratio?

darn...Ill never catch up

He is not recognizing the depth and complexity of the discovery in the article.

We're talking the philosophies of physics, metaphysics, cosmology, etc. About statistical odds and chance, all math all science and even the foundation of your very existence, your consciousness.

This topic is not new. Mankind has marveled at the Golden Ratio for millennium.

The poster Lumenari didn't answer anything appropriately. He/She simply dismissed everything with an ignorant statement about circles. They didn't actually explain anything at all, not to my satisfaction.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

You didn't explain anything.

Why do human skulls randomly exhibit Phi yet others do not (considering that their "evolutionary complexity" actually evolved upwards to Phi).

Why this number?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I totally agree, and btw your 42 thread is one of my favorite over the years.

Hahah awesome thanks!!
Glad you're here today for this little 1 shot spin-off focusing on that article I found today.

Part Phi (3) of the 42 series is still on the agenda.

I can't write a thread like that on a phone I'll need a pc so it'll be awhile...

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Why do human skulls randomly exhibit Phi yet others do not (considering that their "evolutionary complexity" actually evolved upwards to Phi).

"Upwards?" Do you think humans are evolutionarily superior to other creatures?

The words used were "increased species sophistication." That sounds somewhat subjective.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

"Upwards?" Do you think humans are evolutionary superior to other creatures?

The words used were "increased species sophistication." That sounds somewhat subjective.

Of course it's subjective!! Sorta.

As subjective as we using our golden ratio skulls to develop guns and tactics to kill those Noble yet wild beasts??

Or maybe as subjective as the fact we can be really truly superior beings, caretakers of Earth, by developing compassion, understanding, and love for all life, and using our technology and tactics to protect these creatures that are lesser than we? We all share the same world and actually need each other to survive.

They can't protect us. We must protect them. We apparently are the "highest" form of life, on Earth at least (Dolphins and Whale skulls still need to be measured they may be even with or above us - but they got stuck with fins instead of hands feet arms n legs).

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

There are a lot more insects than mammals.
Who's winning the evolutionary sweepstakes?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join