It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were Cooked! World losing area of Forest the size of the UK each year!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yes, this is my opine. I don't need a scientist nor Trump nor Putin or AOC, the Pope or Greenpeace or Greta Thunberg lecturing me or us about CO2. As a human I can see via this article that if accurate and true we are all fluffed. Sooner rather than later. Plus it wont be 12 years or longer according to Germany. We need the trees and forests as they do act as a sink. I cant even surmise planting trees to offset this as a countermeasure. Plus you have fires in the USA, Russia, Brazil, Europe and China and they just pile on the losses of forest.

I grew up on my Grandparents farm and worked on it until I was 16. As kids we grew up in a rural area and played in the forest on the hottest days of the years where it was much cooler and enjoyable. We need the trees and vast forests.

I really believe that we are cooked. Done as in fluffed up as this is way beyond controlling, airplanes and car emissions and burning coal.

This alone may cause me to become a wild and screaming member of the Democrat party as if you know you are going to die I guess that would explain their fervor and radical methods along with the MSM. I voted twice in my history for a Democrat. In my opine Trump has to get somewhat on board. So does China and India. this alone could be fueling the quest to impeach him on minor issues. I now understand.

An area of forest the size of the UK is being lost every year around the world, the vast majority of it tropical rainforest, with dire effects on the climate emergency and wildlife. The rate of loss has reached 26m hectares (64m acres) a year, a report has found, having grown rapidly in the past five years despite pledges made by governments in 2014 to reverse deforestation and restore trees. Charlotte Streck, a co-founder and the director of Climate Focus, the thinktank behind the report, said: “We need to keep our trees and we need to restore our forests. Deforestation has accelerated, despite the pledges that have been made.”

Guardian" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> The Guardian
edit on 5-10-2019 by Waterglass because: revised

edit on 5-10-2019 by Waterglass because: added

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
How much time do we have left...and when should we begin eating dead people and babies?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

We have no time left. Eat all the babies now!

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

edit on 5-10-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

In my opine Trump has to get somewhat on board.

Not going to happen. The fossil fuel companies that pay him, pay him a lot to keep things the way they are. They deny climate change, then build their oil platforms higher because of sea level rise..

They know what's going on. Even if they publicly state otherwise.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Aren't you upset that Biden's son is on the board of Burisma (Fossil Fuels) taking $50+K per month from fossil fuel industry?
Or that Joe Biden got the prosecutor fired that was looking into corruption in the Ukrainian fossil fuel industry?

Your outrage seems very selective in that regard.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So...how long do we have left?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: underwerks

Aren't you upset that Biden's son is on the board of Burisma (Fossil Fuels) taking $50+K per month from fossil fuel industry?
Or that Joe Biden got the prosecutor fired that was looking into corruption in the Ukrainian fossil fuel industry?

Your outrage seems very selective in that regard.

He's a politicians son. Of course he's dirty. Biden, Trump there's no difference there. Biden isn't far left enough for me, so if you're looking for someone to defend him you're barking up the wrong tree.

What does any of that have to do with the OP?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Are you sure about these numbers because I have heard something significantly different
So different it makes your op look silly

psmag.com...
Despite ongoing deforestation, fires, drought-induced die-offs, and insect outbreaks, the world's tree cover actually increased by 2.24 million square kilometers—an area the size of Texas and Alaska combined—over the past 35 years, finds a paper published in the journal Nature. But the research also confirms large-scale loss of the planet's most biodiverse ecosystems, especially tropical forest

www.mnn.com...
The numbers are in.

In the United States, which contains 8 percent of the world's forests, there are more trees than there were 100 years ago. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), "Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s. By 1997, forest growth exceeded harvest by 42 percent and the volume of forest growth was 380 percent greater than it had been in 1920." The greatest gains have been seen on the East Coast (with average volumes of wood per acre almost doubling since the '50s) which was the area most heavily logged by European settlers beginning in the 1600s, soon after their arrival.

Check and then double check your sources, mine and I havnt thoroughly checked them but, say differently to your narrative

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

There has been a growing consensus in recent years that because humans cut down so many trees (most particularly in the rainforests) that global tree cover is shrinking. In this new effort, the researchers have found that not to be the case. They contend that global tree cover is actually increasing.

From here.....
New forest growth

Ooops! just seen Raggedyman has just posted similar

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The amount of fossil fuel currently extracted from the earth cannot be offset by planting some trees. It took millions of years for those huge deposits of coal, oil and gas to pile up layer after layer from mostly decaying plant material.

Burning this up and releasing it in the atmosphere in less then 200 years is bonkers, it's bonkers!
It shouldn't take a scientist to understand this is going to have an impact.
Biodiversity died a long time ago, the foodchain is about to consist mainly of poisned plastic bits getting passed around. But luckily we got that covered because soon there will be no more chain when we cleaned out the oceans.
Mono culture is going to strip the last bit of resilience nature has to cope with any kind of changes.

Planting some trees or axing a few more is not going to matter much in the long run I think

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

I don't think Mother Nature cares much...she was here first and will be long after we have gone

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

They deny climate change, then build their oil platforms higher because of sea level rise..

One of the most ignorant statements I've seen posted.

I say this having been a part of building several off-shore rigs. Did you pull this comment out of your back pocket?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel
The breakdown is interesting. Patterns are shifting.

This overall net gain is the result of a net loss in the tropics being outweighed by a net gain in the extratropics. Global bare ground cover has decreased by 1.16 million km2 (−3.1%), most notably in agricultural regions in Asia. Of all land changes, 60% are associated with direct human activities and 40% with indirect drivers such as climate change. Land-use change exhibits regional dominance, including tropical deforestation and agricultural expansion, temperate reforestation or afforestation, cropland intensification and urbanization.

But the study does say there are more trees now than there were in 1982.

It also says this:

The mapped land changes and the driver attributions reflect a human-dominated Earth system. The dataset we developed may be used to improve the modelling of land-use changes, biogeochemical cycles and vegetation–climate interactions to advance our understanding of global environmental change.

Direct human impact predominates. On a global scale.

www.nature.com...
edit on 10/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42
Do you have any sources to compare the tree planting/oil extracting ratio? Do you know how many dead trees it takes to make a gallon of gasoline or a ton of coal?

I have used carbon dioxide gas to boost plant growth, and it works great. If the atmosphere was accumulating CO2 like everybody is scared of we would see a noticeable increase in plant size, and there isn't one.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SouthernForkway26

I have used carbon dioxide gas to boost plant growth, and it works great. If the atmosphere was accumulating CO2 like everybody is scared of we would see a noticeable increase in plant size, and there isn't one.
Your plants are probably getting all the water and stuff they need though, right?

Do you really think that CO2 concentrations are not increasing?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: SouthernForkway26

Do you really think that CO2 concentrations are not increasing?

Are they? Where? By how much?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Everywhere we look.
www.esrl.noaa.gov...

edit on 10/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglassthere are 7% more trees -vegetation on the planet than in the year 2000.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join