It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were Cooked! World losing area of Forest the size of the UK each year!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: PsychicCroMag

You've doubled the rate of increase of forest as determined by satellite data.

We show that—contrary to the prevailing view that forest area has declined globally tree cover has increased by 2.24 million km2 (+7.1% relative to the 1982 level). This overall net gain is the result of a net loss in the tropics being outweighed by a net gain in the extratropics.

www.nature.com...

But if you're talking about all vegetation, you're way off. Overall, bare ground decreased by 3.1%. between 1982 and 2016.

The question is, what might the impacts of changing vegetation patterns be?

edit on 10/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
i discussed green being concreted everywhere, with about 10 people in the past decade.

every one defends getting rid of greenery everywhere, whether the amazon or the tiny strip left in their front or backyard.

its all about wasting and not giving a darn. just look at how much people, even just 1 kid, throws out every day, nowadays. its disgusting.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SouthernForkway26

Are you actually asking me for sources for proof we're extracting more fossil fuels then we are planting trees?
Fossil fuels are part of the long term carbon cycle. Everything growing and decaying on the surface is not. Thats all you need to know to realize this will not pan out good.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Planting coniferous fast growing trees for logging doesn’t equate to replacing the natural bio diverse habitats of forests.

The deforestation is mostly happening in tropical forests in the so called developing world. Once these habitats are destroyed they are gone for good.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: Jubei42

I don't think Mother Nature cares much...she was here first and will be long after we have gone

Sounds exactly like what a nihilist would say, the kind of thinking which allows for the mess our species has created in the first place.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Planting coniferous fast growing trees for logging doesn’t equate to replacing the natural bio diverse habitats of forests.

The deforestation is mostly happening in tropical forests in the so called developing world. Once these habitats are destroyed they are gone for good.

Totally agree with you...no argument on those points from me.
Some places (albeit few) when left barred do regenerate themselves though.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: Jubei42

I don't think Mother Nature cares much...she was here first and will be long after we have gone

Sounds exactly like what a nihilist would say, the kind of thinking which allows for the mess our species has created in the first place.

Get out of bed on the wrong side this morning? I am far from being a nihilist.
I posted that link because I hold hope that there are good things going on.
You know absolutely nothing about me to start calling me names and labelling me.
I do my bit with reference to plastics, reusable, recycling....heck even my 2002 Jag gives off lesser emissions than modern cars!
I do have morals...but as to religious principles.....Mother Nature IS my religion.

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Lol dude, they have been yapping Climate Change since the 1960s saying how we have 10 years left for the past 60nyears

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Sorry but it seems half the people on this site think we aren’t harming the environment whatsoever and all environmental issues are about climate change, like the poster above me for example with the only star on this page.

I’m sure global warming was invented to detract from real environmental issues. You don’t see anyone protesting nuclear anymore because it’s “green” energy despite the ongoing nightmare that is Fukushima
edit on 7-10-2019 by surfer_soul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Totally agree with you, they are both fairly separate issues in my book. What we are actually doing to our environment in its many forms is the #1 in my book........as to climate....it has a history of waxing and waning.....are we on the same page now?

Rainbows
Janr

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join