It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Group Nominates Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani For Nobel Prize

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
A group of Iraqi Christian exiles in the United States have nominated Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani for the Nobel Peace Prize. al-Sistani is Iraq's most prominent Shiite cleric and the group has pointed out that he has consistently opposed violence in Iraq. The petition will be forwarded to the Nobel committee for the 2005 prize to be awarded March 8th.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A group of exiled Iraqi Christians in the United States said Sunday it has launched a petition nominating Iraq's top Shiite Muslim cleric for the Nobel Peace Prize, drawing more than 7,000 signatures from around the world.

Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, 75, is Iraq's most-revered Shiite cleric and a symbol of Shiite political power. The group said he has repeatedly opposed anti-American violence, including a bloody summer uprising by Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.

Al-Sistani "gave Muslims all around the globe a good example how to follow peaceful ways to resolve complex social (and) political challenges that face them, condemning terror and emphasizing ... rule of law," the petition said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its an interesting choice and one I had never thought of. Had he sided with cleric Muqtada al-Sadr in his mini uprising, it could have been a bloodbath. No doubt he is not a great ally of the United States, but he seems to be able to keep the Shiites under control. Without his assistance, the U.S. led efforts would be difficult if not impossible.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Sistani did side with sadr, and sadr still operates freely without restrictions while his mehdi army is still armed and rather victorious.

Giving sistani any prize now would be premature to say the least. He does not seem to support a secular government nor have we seen anything from his camp that indicates they are doing very much for the future stability of iraq and peace. He still has a lot to do before he can honestly be considered for that honour.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Sistani did side with sadr, and sadr still operates freely without restrictions while his mehdi army is still armed and rather victorious.

yes, but he did keep him from going postal which could not have been an easy task.

Plus given the amount of violence directed at Shiites, even a bonefide phrophet may have a hard time getting the man to disarm

[edit on 3/6/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It would seem to me if this man truely does want peace and can work for it from his position. He would have stoped Sadar and removed him from his position or something similar there of. It does not seem that he is worthy of the peace prize.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
No doubt Sistani hjas his own motivations. We all do. However, his influence has made a differnece and it could reinforce and send a positive message about walking the path on non violence.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
No doubt Sistani hjas his own motivations. We all do. However, his influence has made a differnece and it could reinforce and send a positive message about walking the path on non violence.

I doubt it FredT, he has been all alone against US occupation in Iraq, and he has also been saying that Iraq will be a theocracy.

Sistain has plans FredT and they are not going to be US friendly. The group that nominated him for the "noble prize" obviously is just wooing him to be nice to Christans now that he holds the power in Iran, Irag and soon Lebanon also, after all Lebanon is also majority Shiites.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Marg,
I do fear you are probably right. Unforchant but that is my first thought.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This sounds highly suspect, personaly, as per the requirements need for one to attain a Nobel Peace Prize, this man will never win one. He may have sustained a relative amount of peace in Iraq, but from what I can tell, nothing revolutionary to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

Deep

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
This sounds highly suspect, personaly, as per the requirements need for one to attain a Nobel Peace Prize, this man will never win one. He may have sustained a relative amount of peace in Iraq, but from what I can tell, nothing revolutionary to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

Deep

If I recall Arafat won one once despite all of his links to terrorism. I doubt he would win one too, but he surely is a candidate no? The Noble peace prize is also given for political reasons as well. And the benifits from this is not to be understated.

Maybe Kofi should win one again???

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I agree it's premature, if things keep working out well he may be a great choice.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
As I recall Biship Tutu won the peace prize. But he did risk his life to save another and it was on video. I dont know what all else biship Tutu did so cant really coment on if he was a worthy recipent or not.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I think he could have done a lot more to earn the peace prize if he worked with the americans after the "war" but he didn't becasue that would mean working with infedels. Instead he had all of his handiwok in dealing with the consitution and getting a majority of seats appointed for Shiites

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
If I recall Arafat won one once despite all of his links to terrorism. I doubt he would win one too, but he surely is a candidate no? The Noble peace prize is also given for political reasons as well. And the benifits from this is not to be understated.

Maybe Kofi should win one again???

Well I forgot that they will give a noble prize to anyone this days.

Yeah, he may have a good chance to get one, after all his power has spread greatly since Shiites are in control in Iraq and Iran.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Anyone can tout a candidate for a Nobel Peace prize, it's not an exclusive commitie that touts them; it's University proffesors, bussiness men, etc etc etc.

Deep

Sep

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
If Sistani wins he will be the second Iranian to win this award in the last 3 years.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Also, arafat was given the peace prize at one point. Why besmirch the reputation of the prize even furhter, or at least potentially?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Way to early for this Grand Ayatollah to win nobel prizes. However I must add this point; the americans should be grateful that this guy kept his cool for quite some time. For if he had issued a fatwa on american troops belive me the funeral business in america would be one busy market.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Hooray, for all the liberals in the world!
I'm sure this guy, if born in a western country, would be an agnostic.

-At least he is a liberal!

edited away some terrible engrish...

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Ulvetann]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Let's just give the peace price to the religion of Islam. We will just forget about the Islamic invasion's, Islamic terrorism in the last 2000 years.

Your going to give an award to a leader of a religion that has caused so much war and terror actions in last 2000 years. I'm sure all the men killed by the islamic crusades from spain and east europe will be clapping their hands in scarism.

If this award is given it would be propanganda compaign to try and get western's believing that islam is religion of peace.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
TheTruth123, Aren't you kind of biting your tung?
I'm no islamist, neither a christian. I am not going to defend either of those two or any other religion(fundamentalism).
But are you telling me that it is okay to nominate only christians and chatolics and buddhists to this prize? -As if they have never done warfare?!

A peace-prize is a, and should be a totally religion-independent prize, as all things should be. If you bind your wit to a religion, you have lost your clear sense and wisdom!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join