It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The schools where meat is off the menu for climate reasons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: gallop

originally posted by: chr0naut
Also, are chicken nuggets actually meat?

They have to do something with all those baby male chicks that get put, alive, into the grinder.

Damn it, I used to love chook nuggets. They're not the same these days, nothing is

Wot, they don't taunt them mercilessly and poke them with sharp objects first?

That's the problem these days, no pride in their work.

In my day, a good chook torturer was the pride of the village. Now they've just got skinheads (and those slightly less right-wing suedeheads) and slightly more right-wing, football hooligans.

Once was, the streets ran red with the blood of foetuses (foeti?) now everything's so PC, hardly anyone gets their kneecaps drilled.

Sigh.

We live in sadder times these days. Chook torturing is a lost art. Now they just pluck them off the line and whack 'em in a gurgletube. And they're the lucky ones.

The females get to live in a cage with no wings or beaks, staring out of a small crack in the wooden shed, lamenting the day they could cluck free, amongst the others..

"'Allo Doris, 'ows the egg?"
"Allo Mavis.. Aww, she's orrite. Me cloaca's a bit sore though, all that sittin', you know. 'ows Fred?"
"Oh.. They served 'im up with some roast spuds the other night, bless'is 'art.. 'e was a good rooster, n'all."
"Oh dear... Sorry to 'ear that Doris.."
*Doris and Mavis stare up, towards the clouds, pondering their purpose in life, and the existential nature of their very existence...*

Yeah, sadder times these days...

edit on 30-9-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

From what i read, it is cutting down on meat and the kitchen has a 90% approval rate from students.

The longest living and healthiest people eat diets that are not very heavy on meat consumption.

I don't see this as a bad thing. Like you said, sweden has quit selling weapons to tyrants and dictators. Something the U.S. needs to do.....

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: chr0naut

Just wait until I feel my finger on your trigger.

Oo

that was literally on you, trig er Gallop

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Yea its really a positive story. School is serving up more veggies and less meat. The kitchen has a high approval rating.

It should be done in the u.s., but for some reason, people are convinced their red-meat heavy heart-attack diets are the way to go.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Holy crap. I had to pay for all my school lunches and they mainly served sloppy joes, hot dogs, nachos, french fries, french toast, chocolate milk, and pizza.

We could learn a thing or two from the swedes !

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I was pleased when they went a bit left and quit [by law] selling weapons to tyrants and dictators. The pivot left continues for Sweden it seems.
'
i like that they banned thing i dont like, but im upset they banned thing i do like...

how about... stop advocating for things being banned as a general rule.

Also, there is no reason everyone has to eat meat at every. single. meal. if its the only meal the school is providing whats the big deal? have meat for breakfast and dinner at home then, they'll live.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No school (or college) I ever attended provided anything like pictured above

You must have gone to some crappy schools, or you are younger than I thought.

I remember fish and potatoes almost exactly like the ones pictured (except on a lunchtray). Our potatoes were even better, they were sprinkled with fresh herbs and had a light butter sauce. Yes this was in school! This was back when lunch ladies actually cooked meals like home cooking. It was not pre-made and it was not the prison food they serve today.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

especially when it comes providing proper nutrition for adolescents.

No it doesn't.... multivitamin. boom. done.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

So it's authoritarian not to have a vegetarian option, but it's not authoritarian to take all meat off the menu. Gotcha!

Did you even read what you wrote?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

I was pleased when they went a bit left and quit [by law] selling weapons to tyrants and dictators. The pivot left continues for Sweden it seems.
'
i like that they banned thing i dont like, but im upset they banned thing i do like...

how about... stop advocating for things being banned as a general rule.

Also, there is no reason everyone has to eat meat at every. single. meal. if its the only meal the school is providing whats the big deal? have meat for breakfast and dinner at home then, they'll live.

Think about the children too poor to have protein at home ...

isn't that the usual response when people take healthy options off school menus?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: Atsbhct

Holy crap. I had to pay for all my school lunches and they mainly served sloppy joes, hot dogs, nachos, french fries, french toast, chocolate milk, and pizza.

We could learn a thing or two from the swedes !

No kidding! That meal looks awesome - salmon and dill sauce with peas? I would have loved that.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So it's authoritarian not to have a vegetarian option, but it's not authoritarian to take all meat off the menu. Gotcha!

Did you even read what you wrote?

Nothing, except the headline, implies that meat is entirely off the entire menu. The article even refers to a separate meat free menu - a separate offering for those who want it.

Besides, the food sounds like it's fairly good with a 90% student approval rating.

I'd much rather eat good food that happened to be "mostly vegetables" (the wording used in the article) than some sort of cheap 'mystery meat'.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Nyiah

Photo via Food Network Canada

Swedish school lunches are 100% covered by taxes, and are generally amazing.

Looks like fish. Although this meal looks more "diet" then healthy.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

It should be done in the u.s., but for some reason, people are convinced their red-meat heavy heart-attack diets are the way to go.

A lot of it, I think, is upbringing combined with budget.

Also, that meat (and processed foods) is generally cheaper in larger quality than fresh veggies, for the most part. And meat is more filling for longer periods, for those with limited budgets and also those who burn a lot of calories (blue collar labor).

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChefFox

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Nyiah

Photo via Food Network Canada

Swedish school lunches are 100% covered by taxes, and are generally amazing.

Looks like fish. Although this meal looks more "diet" then healthy.

Looks like salmon.

Define "healthy."

Salmon, English peas, and potatoes aren't healthy?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

That may hold up for poor families with lots of kids, but blue collar workers can definitely afford a healthy diet. I think it's probably laziness and ignorance, more than budget...

There are very cheap healthy vegetables out there that are nutritious.

You just have to spend time cooking and finding places with good deals.
edit on 3-10-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 03:22 AM
link   

potatoes healthy?

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChefFox

potatoes healthy?

If fresh and not fried, fancied or processed,and in moderation of a low carb diet, yes.

Vitamin C, Potassium, B6, and other essential vitamins.

Link

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

blue collar workers can definitely afford a healthy diet. I think it's probably laziness and ignorance, more than budget...

It's both, I think. Budget *and* laziness, including the time it takes to prepare fresh and decent food versus cheaper and quicker alternatives.

There are very cheap healthy vegetables out there that are nutritious.

True. Part of my point, though, is that they aren't necessarily as filling for a long enough time to certain people, beans aside because they are protein.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

In what world is this diet food? America only.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join